Davis Cup 2005 (WG playoff vs SWE in India!)

This is the resting place for archived threads. Typically from threads that had become too long and had to be split to allow easier moderation.
Prashant
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by Prashant »

Good point on Bjorkman Jay. But FWIW, I think Yevgeny Kafelnikov was similarly comitted to both singles & doubles, and very good at both for a long time, until injuries intervened. Comparing their respective bests, YK was a better singles player than Bjorkman & almost as good a doubles player (I mean that - even though I'm fully aware of Bjorkman's excellence in doubles).

Prashant
gvhvhg

Post by gvhvhg »

This is what I had been saying over and over before the tie, but others such as Arun and Sandeep beleived that Bjorkman could be taken.

Jonas is one of the greatest guys on tour, on and off the court.
dextrous3000

Post by dextrous3000 »

Well, he could have been taken down in the reverse singles IF he had tought 5-setter the opening game and the doubles was always India's for the taking...well and IF the tie had been completed in 3 days in blazing heat. Three days in that kind of heat would tire out anyone.

Of course, I know I've a lot of ifs there. :oops:
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

In the end, I think his success in Delhi may have played a part in propelling him the last couple of weeks. He didn't have much success in singles this year, but has seen a resurrection since the Davis Cup tie.
S_K_S
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by S_K_S »

Prashant wrote:I think Yevgeny Kafelnikov was similarly comitted to both singles & doubles
Didn't YK take it to the extreme though? I understand that he got a bit of a reputation on the tour as being a mercenary who would basically turn up for an opening of an envelope if there was a fee being paid.
gvhvhg

Post by gvhvhg »

In the end, I think his success in Delhi may have played a part in propelling him the last couple of weeks. He didn't have much success in singles this year, but has seen a resurrection since the Davis Cup tie.
I don't think there's much truth to that. I think its just coincidence, after all it's not like he was getting some high quality tennis in on that court...
chitratyagi

Post by chitratyagi »

In the last few months too much has been written about DAVIS CUP selection and captainship of Lee.I do not want to re open the topic or create any further controversy.However,I would like to evaluate Captan Lee.

1 Lee took over the charge at NEW ZEALAND.PA and RB,were initially in the team.But injury forced them out.P.Vishal was included in the team at the last moment.The first important decision of Capt. Lee,was perhaps,to induct KR,into the team,as reserve,immediately after he reached Aus. Open semi final.It was future planning.He must have spotted KR at Aus.
Then at NZ Lee won all his three matches to win the tie.

My Score for Capt. Lee 100%

2. Against China,in Delhi,RB was injured .But Lee included KR as reserve and also invited juniors like Vivek and Jeevan to practice with team.Obviously he wanted to give these juniors chance,so that they are well groomed for the future.It had never happened before.Lee himsef felt that he was not upto the mark and rightly thought that Harsh and Prakash would be better suitable.So he played HM and PA.

My Score for Capt. Lee for this tie 100%

3. Against Uzbekistan,in Jaipur,Lee continued to support juniors.KR was a part of the team and Vivek and Sanam were invited to practice with the team.In this tie,perhaps,because HM had lost to Istomin,before and perhaps,Lee himself was confident about his own game,he decided to play himself and PA.

My score for Capt. Lee for this tie 100%

4. Against Sweden,in Delhi,there was lot of confusion,right from the moment team was announced.As per the clarifications,that appeared later on,the full team was-LP,MB,PA,RB ,HM AND KR.KR was asked to play the satellite,instead of practicing with the team.(as we all know this decision proved to be perfect,as KR went on to win the circuit).Authorities,had to give the official names and they gave LP,MB,PA AND RB,WITH HM as reserve.However,they goofed up by giving this team as it is to the press.They could have easily given the full team,to the press,without specifying who was reserve.I personally feel,Lee was not involved in this goof up.He spoke to HM later and sorted out things.

However,Capt. Lee erred,when he announced that PA will play and the choice is between HM and RB for the second spot.All three should have played matches and then decision should have been taken.

My score for Capt. Lee for this tie 70%

The purpose of discussing this topic ,at the moment,is because,Korean tie is approaching fast.The team of six players should immediately be announced-LP,MB,HM,PA,RB AND KR.These are our best six players.All six should be sent to Korea.And depending upon their performances in the next two months and their fitness level,injuries etc,at the time of tie,final four should be selected.This will give a big relief to all these players and they will be able to focus better .We have to look for the future when LP and MB will not be available.There could be an injury to any of them.We should prepare another doubles pair,for that emergency.All this will be possible if they declare this team of six now and then out of PA,HM,RB AND KR prepare two pairs and give them wild cards for ATP CHENNAI,doubles draw.That way we can prepare a reserve doubles combination.
paulo_eddie

Post by paulo_eddie »

chitratyagi wrote:However,they goofed up by giving this team as it is to the press.They could have easily given the full team,to the press,without specifying who was reserve.
chitra, do you think the media would have just sat there with that announcement and not seen something wrong with the fact that the playing folks and reserves havent been declared which has been a norm during press conferences on the eve of the match. i mean whats the point of even declaring the players if ur not gonna specify who's playing and who's not. i mean isnt it already understood that the guys who'r gonna don the team colors r LP,MB,PA,RB,HM and KR.
but i do agree that the decision to put PA as the assured entrant was just a little 'too close for comfort'ish.
i mean the question as to why PA was included the first without disputes came to a lot of minds.

and i also agree that i this discussion needent have been awoken now :wink: