Moderator: Moderators

sameerph
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Saina Nehwal Thread - WR#1 on April 2,2015

Post by sameerph »

I too thought she was progressing well under Vimal Kumar. And the reason for her moving away from Gopi was he was not able to devote too much time to her.

I guess the only reason could be she is not finding too many good quality practice partners in Bangalore as compared to Hyderabad where she can practise with Sindhu. Another important reason could be now the presence of Indonesian coach Mulyo Handoyo at the Gopichand academy. He had been specifically brought in to ease the work load on Gopi and it is said that most of the mens players have progressed quite well under his guidance.
rajitghosh

Post by rajitghosh »

The good practice partner logic certainly holds. Handoyo I thought was more for doubles. But with Gopichand having so many people under him, would he be able to devote time?
arjun2761
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by arjun2761 »

Often the top women practice againstead men/boys.

For example, the US women's u-19 soccer team recently scrimmaged against our DA boys team. My daughter who plays for the DA girls team were spectators althought she and her teammates who have loved to be playing instead...
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

rajitghosh wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:25 pm The good practice partner logic certainly holds. Handoyo I thought was more for doubles. But with Gopichand having so many people under him, would he be able to devote time?
No. Taiwanese Coach Tan Kim her is for doubles. Handyo is for singles along with Gopi. His presence is said to have boosted the games of Srikanth, Prannoy, Praneeth etc, this year as they now have 2 top notch singles coaches. Saina would also be eyeing that.
Varma

Post by Varma »

Yes, Handoyo's presence has made a huge difference for Gopi's camp. This was acknowledged by pretty much all our men's shuttlers. Given the workload Gopi has had, hiring that extra help was long due. Maybe he needed to find the right person whom he could trust, and someone who can work with his philosophy. Anyway, that was a welcome change.

When Saina moved to Vimal's camp, she too did the right thing. That move definitely yielded results. Before she moved out of Gopi's, there seemed to have been bad blood brewing (at least from what was reported in the media). Saina's shift to Bengaluru diffused that. I think her decision to move back is again the right one since it will be a win-win situation for both Saina and Gopi. I like the maturity with which both of them acted throughout the earlier split and this reunion. Our Tennis stalwarts can learn a lesson or two from this.

- Varma
Last edited by Varma on Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Varma wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:32 pm I like the maturity with which both of them acted throughout the earlier split and this reunion. Our Tennis stalwarts can learn a lesson or two from this.
Varma, well said.
depleter

Post by depleter »

Vimal Kumar on the saina going back
In a media statement, Vimal said, “Saina, on her return from the World Badminton Championships, asked my opinion on her working with the Indonesian coach, Mulyo (Handoyo), brought in by Sports Authority of India to look after the singles players in National camps. He is attached with Gopichand Academy, in Hyderabad. I had indicated to her that there is no harm at all in her giving it a try.

“Players have a short span at the top, and will always be looking at ways to get better. Saina and Sindhu are special girls, and if they are able to get even better, we should provide them those opportunities. PPBA and Gopichand Badminton Academy are recognised training centers of SAI, and we at PPBA supported Saina when she needed."

Vimal added that he understood Saina’s decision to work with Handoyo, as the coach has played a key role in the recent successes of men’s singles players in Sai Praneeth and K. Srikanth.

A gracious Vimal compared Saina to Denmark legend Morten Frost and Indian stalwart Prakash Padukone. “Her work ethic is second to none. I have trained with Morten and Prakash, and I will put her on same pedestal as them, when it comes to dedication to training,” he said.

If Saina can keep herself fit, she will continue to be a world beater, Vimal said.
http://www.thehindu.com/sport/other-spo ... 620944.ece
Varma

Post by Varma »

“Players have a short span at the top, and will always be looking at ways to get better.
Best quote ever to have came out of an Indian coach. Bravo, Vimal Kumar! :clap: :clap: :clap: How can you not bow to this guy? :notworthy:

I wish every coach sheds his/her ego & attachment, and encourage their wards to look for opportunities to get to the next level.

Hopefully Rathore is taking close notice of the likes of Gopi and Vimal to make them pillars of his plans. Let's see if he can bring in enough changes for us to get to double digits in medal tally by 2024.

- Varma
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

It's amazing to see. We always wonder why it is so difficult for these people in the sports arena to get along, show genuine respect for each other (not fake words that many people mouth), and understand that their own ego is of no help to themselves and of no interest to the sports fans. But it is all so awfully rare in sports circle. Basically it is due to their all being insecure, along with having a high level of competitive spirit, I suppose.... And then we see something like this. How refreshing!
rajitghosh

Post by rajitghosh »

Compare this with the tennis soap opera. No wonder badminton is flourishing and tennis in dying.
Varma

Post by Varma »

Today being "Teacher's Day" in India makes Vimal's quote even more special.

गुरुर्ब्रह्मा गुरुर्विष्णुर्गुरुर्देवो महेश्वरः ।
गुरुरेव परं ब्रह्म तस्मै श्रीगुरवे नमः

- Varma
suresh

Post by suresh »

Vimal is clearly a class act. Hope more kids join him and we get a viable alternative to the Gopi academy. India is a huge country and can support more than one badminton academy.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

This is a nice article on how the move back to Hyderabad is helping Saina-

How the move from Bangalore to Hyderabad has helped Saina Nehwal to find her mojo again
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

This is a nice article on how Kashyap seems to be slowly taking over as Saina's coach-

Parupalli Kashyap aims to unlock Saina Nehwal's full potential

This is interesting -
The numbers don't bother me because Saina is going to be playing for a while. She's going to be around for the next six years and that means she's going to be playing Tai Tzu at least another 20 times. In the scheme of her career, this or that match doesn't really matter. This is a marathon not a sprint," he says.
He says that she is going to be playing for next 6 years. So, does she have plans to play on till 2024 olympics ?
depleter

Post by depleter »

Interesting interview from Saina after Quarters win over Nozomi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggkr6LdYPZg

Saina clearly saying how her movement was not what it used to be after the surgery post Rio olympics...and the main difference in this tournament was her movement which she is currently working on.