Post by gbelday »

Lol...UT and Texas A&M...
ajay
Moderators
Moderators
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Rupesh Roy thread...

Post by ajay »

Yes! A proud Aggie here and not a Longhorn :)
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

Hello,

May I recommend a simple way to getting instant support for local accommodation etc. for our players? A simple Internet search with the city name and Indian association will often bring up at least the local Indian association, the local student association, and perhaps a temple information. If you contact one of these organizations, I am confident that you will secure at least one, if not multiple offers for help.

For example, try this for Austin:

Indian associations in Austin

This gentleman may be able to help for Mansfield, TX. I am not sure, I do not know him but it wouldn't hurt to ask for help. There are Indian origin doctors in even the remotest parts of the US and I am sure (maybe my naiveté) they'll try to help. Just trying to illustrate how a little legwork may open an unknown door.

A doctor in Mansfield, TX

You get all of these, links for most of them, and at least a phone number by a simple internet search. I am willing to bet that if you spend a total of 30 min, you can get the word out in the community and someone will respond. If you are not too picky about the nature of accommodation and willing to take public transport, multiple offers are likely.

As a potential host, I am always concerned about the players' needs such as how many people, just accommodation or food also, dietary preferences, schedules, need for transportation etc. Indian hospitality tends to go overboard, so don't be shy in letting people know what you need. They will often go one more step.

A search for the local high school/college tennis team maybe another avenue. Hosting families is a revered American tradition and hosting a world class tennis player may be seen as a privilege rather than a chore for some families.

I am sorry if all this is obvious and is tried by Rupesh's team with poor response. I would be interested in such information so I can adjust my naive thinking. However, I am posting this for general use. I know what I will do if I am in the situation, so I thought it might not hurt to remind everyone how a wonderful resource is available for free. Of course, this forum is your easiest way to put the word out and may generate the fastest response; however, even with its diverse membership, it has limited reach. With intenet, sky is the limit.
ajay
Moderators
Moderators

Post by ajay »

Coach wrote:Hi All,
We would love any help with accomodation for the following events in the US.

October 11 Austin, TX
October 18 Mansfield, TX
October 25 Birmingham, AL
November 1 Niceville, FL

Thanks
Steve
Steve,
I contacted a friend in Austin and he is willing to be host. Send me a pm and I'll get you in touch with him.

Ajay
shyam

Post by shyam »

ajay wrote:
We would love any help with accomodation for the following events in the US.

October 11 Austin, TX
October 18 Mansfield, TX
November 1 Niceville, FL

Thanks
Steve
Steve,
I contacted a friend in Austin and he is willing to be host. Send me a pm and I'll get you in touch with him.
Ajay
I used to be at U of Alabama (Roll Tide, Roll!) and know someone in Tuscaloosa. Will try to find out if my friend knows someone in Birmingham willing to host Steve and Rupesh.
I am stuck in Boise (aka in-the-middle-of-nowhere) but don't think any tourney ever comes here!
Shyam
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by jayakris »

Just remember that traveling from the sleeping place to the tournament is really the biggest issue for players. They will sleep anywhere, and can usually find some food (Quiznos, Denny's etc) near trhe tournament, but if one has to take a taxi for $50 to go to the tournament, it won't work. The schedule for the day won't be known till 8 pm the previous day and they may have to play at 9 or 10 am also (or get there by then to grab a practice court - which depends on the signup sheet for that) .. So, a host's primary duty is actually to make sure that the player can somehow get to the tournament in the morning and get back by at least 10 or 11 pm ...

Jay
MithuChelu

Post by MithuChelu »

October 11 Austin, TX
October 18 Mansfield, TX
November 1 Niceville, FL

Thanks
Steve
No entry of Rupesh in Austin/Mansfield....................Has he finished the season or is it the World wide known injury prone Indian story............
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

MithuChelu wrote:No entry of Rupesh in Austin/Mansfield....................Has he finished the season or is it the World wide known injury prone Indian story............
U guys say whatever u want but somehow I m starting to enjoy this member's sarcasm .. :devil:
munnabhai

Post by munnabhai »

lol agreed. I had a chuckle when I saw that.
Jen

Post by Jen »

Dear sir... I am training hard in boston now and I have had problem with my ear. So i guess it is no Indian story, it is a fact. And at same time I am doing everything by myself and I cant do every tournament, I have to see if i have enough money for the tournaments. I did get some money to travel, but it was not enough do all that I wanted, I must choose which ones will be the best for me. I just wanted to clear that up, as the statement about world wide Indian injury was somewhat offensive.

Thanks Rupesh
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

HI Rupesh,

Don't take offense; you are among friends and true fans here. Theer are a couple of guys who have the habit of writing whatever comes to their mind without any regard to how it would be taken. We have come to tolerate them too, because occasionally they also say some useful and postive things :) ..

Anyway, glad to see you write in. Hope the ear problem will go away. That affects the balance, so I can see why you cannot play. We know fully well the problems players like you face, money- and support-wise. I only wish we could get more organized to help you all. Stay focussed like you have been. We are all waiting for some big breakthrough soon, for us to celebrate and create some noise! Best Regards,

Jay
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Rupesh, don't loose mind on couple of negative posts ... Many of us believe in u and knowing ur big breakthrough will come soon.

PS. Rupesh, I m little curious why u choose name 'Jen' for the forum ... :)
Jen

Post by Jen »

Hi, I am not a member on this site. My girlfriend reads this forum so I replied off of her account. Thanks for all of the positive feedback.

Rupesh
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Hi Rupesh, Actually you had joined as a member here earlier. In fact, I remember that you posted 5 years back right after you came to Boston, under the name "rupesh" .. You may have lost the password though, and we didn't see you use that name for a long time after that.. No problem either way. Best of luck! Jay
Omkara

Post by Omkara »

Hi Rupesh,

Good to hear from you. Recently someone from our tennis fraternity declared his intent to retire from professional tennis. He had been writing to us quite often but not so much of late. Still the interactions were very interesting. I hope you continue to write us. We would like to know more about your travels. Given tennis players travel so much, blogging should have been a natural outcome. Some of our players should have taken it up!