Shankaracharya Arrest

This is a place where you can enter any non-sports general topics
PKBasu
Please enter the middle number: 1

Shankaracharya Arrest

Post by PKBasu »

Well, India's literacy rate of 67% means that only a third of the population is illiterate. When there are so many graduates and a very high secondary school enrolment ratio, you cannot say that India is not an "educated society".
Sandeep
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Hi

Post by Sandeep »

well not as much as the countries, whose judiciary systems you are comparing with India.
PKBasu

Re: Hi

Post by PKBasu »

nothingnew wrote:I never said that Indian police are the most efficient ones. It just happens that way. The society is so.... For that matter not many world countries have as good a police system as we have. I take things relatively, than expect a utopian state. .
I don't think there is much basis for your assertion that not many countries in the world have as good a police system as we have in India.

Unfortunately, the way the system has evolved in India, chief ministers (especially those who have been in power long) have a great deal of control over the police (and state administration), as they can randomly transfer police and administrative officers. Jayalalitha has been particularly aggressive on this score and has established a stranglehold over the the state police (in which only her loyalists have any chance of advancing their careers or holding the higher-level posts). It is the random and utterly unethical manner in which she is using this power that we object to.
PKBasu

Shankaracharya Arrest

Post by PKBasu »

On the theme of fairness of justice, and the scope for a fair trial in TN for Jaya-related matters, this is an interesting Supreme Court decision:

http://us.rediff.com/news/2005/jan/18ja ... ~Karnataka
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Shankaracharya Arrest

Post by Kumar »

Sandeep your assumption is police acting independently.. But that does not seem to be the case here.. As far as the video tape is concerned, do you think it cannot be doctored? Why the Jeer whoz silent during most of the conversation come out and say my disciples got angry and killed them.. while he could have just kept quiet even to that question?

Police said so many things.. They said the assasins were paid with money taken out of the bank by Mutt manager.. but they were not able to prove it.. shouldn't this be a very simple fact to prove?

Why is police talking about all the evidence to media.. but in court they don't produce any of the evidence..
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Shankaracharya Arrest

Post by BSharma »

I recently read that justice can sometimes be blind. It appears that in India, justice can sometimes be blind, deaf and dumb. :(
FirstIndiaFan

Shankaracharya Arrest

Post by FirstIndiaFan »

BSharma...you are absoloutely right. I would like to add a caveat though. The judges in India are very good. However, because of system wide corruption and the attidude of the police in India, by the time the cases come in for the courts' consideration, the evidence in many instances, is far from reality.

Police in India continue to have the attitude left over from the 'Raj'. They behave like they are the 'ruling' class. They expect citizen to be in awe of them and be afraid of them. You do not have to be a criminal or even a suspect to face their wrath. I can give you many anecdotal instances of such behaviour.

Torturing to get confessions out is standard mode of operation. Beatings of supects are done in public as if it is the police's right! Why...even in hindi movies the good 'inspector' routinely tramples on people's human rights by using violence in the name of a 'good cause'. Even our movie producers and movie goers do no realize that there is something wrong in that! The concept of 'innocent until proven guilty' is only in the books.

Our Police best in the world? Hogwash! If you have never dealt with the police in India, perhaps you might have that opinion. If you have interacted with them ony a few times, you'll agree with me. By the way, this is across the board and not in any particular state. There may be many reasons for this such as low police pay etc. but those are the facts.

Then there are the chief ministers....some of them criminals themselves! Number One is now even a central minister! Number two is the 'protector' of justice in TamilNadu. An absolute case of 'The Foxes guarding the chicken pens'! I will not put anything past these guys. They are capable of anything...manufacturing evidence, using money and power to influence witnesses and who knows what....

Am I saying the Seer is not guilty? Absoloutely not. The most important fact is he has to be 'proven' gulty with evidence. So far the police have only set the ground with inuendos.

Until they prove otherwise, we all must, for the sake of sanity and civility, must assume the Seer to be NOT GUILTY.

An Angry IndiaFan1
FirstIndiaFan

Shankaracharya Arrest

Post by FirstIndiaFan »

Now that the case against the Shankaracharyas is not holding up, the vengeful Amma is going after the few reporters who have a bit of a spine to question her! Police officers are knocking on reporters' doors, visiting newspaper offices and threatning managers!

This is where the claims of 'Largest Democracy In The World' etc. claims fall flat. What is amazing is that people elect crooks like this woman & that clown in Bihar, although they are conning them royally & openly!

Ah well...fool me once, you are smart! Fool me twice, I am stupid!

A disppointed IndiaFan1! :mad:
Dhruv
Administrator
Administrator

Shankaracharya Arrest

Post by Dhruv »

Atleast in TN there has been some development(socio-economic), whereas Bihar if anything has regressed almost into the middle ages which is a sad commentary on the state and the nation.
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Shankaracharya Arrest

Post by BSharma »

FirstIndiaFan,

I enjoyed reading your comments and loved your signoff names. Pretty creative way of summarizing your message into your signature. :D
Sandeep
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Hi

Post by Sandeep »

Actally TN could have developed much more if not for the dirty politics over there. Chennai is one of the wonderfull city to start a business. It has literally everything. It has good transportation, good techincally well versed people, Harbour is the biggest advantage. Inspite of all the se plusses Chennai is not able to draw ccompanies to start business over there. Even with Chennai there, all IT went to Bangalore itself shows how negligent government were. If they would have taken little bit care just before IT revolution Chennia would have been what Bangalore is today. I don't know where Bangalore scores more than Chennai. I don't say Bangalore would have completely gone, as Narayanmurthy is always there. But Chennai would have been equally good. Recent example is volkswagen plant. They reviewed both Vizag and chennai, and they decided to start in Vizag only because of the enthusiam shown by YS Rajashekar Reddy. Otherwise noway Vizag can score over chennai. Bihar is a different story though. Except for some history like Maurya Empire based in Patna and all, and I guess Tkshasila UNiversity was also in Bihar. Except during that period that state never was good and no Improvement measures were taken also. In fact Very few Indian states took measures for economic revolution other than south Indian states barring Kerala. Gujarat, Punjab and Maharashtra are some of the states which are good economically. I don't know in reality how much Godhra Incident has effected foreign investments in Gujarat, but if i was manager of an MNC I would definitely not choose Gujarat after Godra Incident.
FirstIndiaFan

Shankaracharya Arrest

Post by FirstIndiaFan »

BSharma wrote:FirstIndiaFan,

I enjoyed reading your comments and loved your signoff names. Pretty creative way of summarizing your message into your signature. :D
BSharma...Thanks! Was away for a while with no access to internet, therefor e the delay in my response!

BTW I enjoy your informative posts as well!

India Fan #1