2004 Champions Trophy in Lahore, Pakistan

A forum to discuss Indian hockey and the disarray it is in despite the promising new professional PHL series.

Moderator: Moderators

PKBasu
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by PKBasu »

This is a scary scenario. It looks as if Indian hockey is in dangerous free-fall. And it doesn't have to be this way, if we get a decent world-class coach. After all we are still near the very top of the world at the junior level, but something goes wrong in moulding that terrific talent for the highest levels of the game. Clearly coaching (or lack thereof) is the problem. I'm glad Ric Charlesworth is commentating. At least that way we can be repeatedly reminded of what Indian hockey is missing by not accepting his offer to become the coach of India.
david

Post by david »

I heard Ric today and realised all good players does not necessarily become good commentators.

Or all good coaches does not really make good ``talkers''.

Just like all good players does not make good coaches.
mugu
Authors
Authors

Post by mugu »

david wrote:I heard Ric today and realised all good players does not necessarily become good commentators.

Or all good coaches does not really make good ``talkers''.

Just like all good players does not make good coaches.
Wonder why David says that. Charlesworth had been `expert' commentator earlier also. And I have always found his comments very educative, analytical, incisive and thought-provoking!
mugu
Authors
Authors

Post by mugu »

Lost 4-5 to Holland. Could have been worse; could have drawn also. Overall played a lot better than yesterday. Adrian brought off a couple of good saves.
david

Post by david »

Yes, Mugu. I am a big fan of Ric Charlesworth and may be I am expecting too much. Yesterday, I felt he made a couple of comments which were not really true with the understanding of the game and he appeared too keen say certain things prompting to take a very little, slightly biased statements.
But certainly he is analytical and thought provoking. Today he was brilliant again and I enjoyed his comments. He is really with the Indians and I feel he is mentally preparing and may be making notes on different Indian players and their style. He is deeply studying the Indians and HIS HEART IS THERE.
david

Post by david »

Adrian was good and I think the competition between the two goalkeepers was turning out to be healthy.

But Rushing out at every penalty corner is not desirable and even Ric commented on it. I don't know if it is Rach's idea or its Adrian's own ploy.

At Olympics, nobody knew Adrian and it worked. Now every team in the world are armed with tapes of Ardian's work under the bar and the tactic will lose its potency if continues to do it every time. It loses the surprise element.

At times he is in doubt, whether to go for it or not.For once PC toward the end he was stranded a metre past the penalty stroke spot and there was nothing he could do. This will also make the ``slip ball'' very dangerous.

Prabodh tirkey made a brilliant save on the goalline when Adrian rushed out but in the heat ofthe moment he pushed the ball out after the fantastic save and conceded another PC which resulted in a goal. The 1-1 equaliser today.

Adrian's save off the first PC was good as he did a brilliant job despite being unsighted.
mugu
Authors
Authors

Post by mugu »

david wrote:Prabodh tirkey made a brilliant save on the goalline when Adrian rushed out but in the heat ofthe moment he pushed the ball out after the fantastic save and conceded another PC which resulted in a goal. The 1-1 equaliser today.
Prabodh was lucky that he stopped another with his foot, but Teun de Noojier scored off the rebound (3-2) and he was lucky, so too India, when he stopped another with his foot and the umpire did not notice it. Even the commentators did not at first time. But if you get to watch it again, see where the stick is when he the ball is suddenly blocked and then he brings it down and brings off a `save'. But Prabodh is daring, with that helmet of his during PCs. Viren also brought off a brilliant save off another PC, but did concede a couple. The Dutch wasting so many penalty corners was something. But their variations were good; what was also very impressive was their passing. That fifth goal by Teun de Noojier was a beauty! (You feel sometimes whether you are watching Shahid-Zafar-Merwyn all over again!)
david

Post by david »

Yes that Teun de Noojier boy is a wonder. I love watching him.

He does so well that reverse flick, which is a forgotten tool in India now.

That Shahid-Zafar-Merwyn combine, wow all three used those reverse flicks amazingly. That would be Poetry in Motion.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

This is a much better performance, and pretty surprising after the first big loss to Spain. But we seem to be doing pretty well against the Dutch in the past couple of years -- but always losing to them in the end!
Here's rediff's match report:
http://in.rediff.com/sports/2004/dec/05hock.htm

And Rach says its important not to finish last. Profound comment!
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Rach says the main goal is to prepare for the Beijing Olympics. BS! The main goal is to play well (and preferably win) every global event that we enter, and not try to divert attention from current poor performances by pretending that the goal is some distant event four years away. The main immediate goal should be to win the World Cup in 2006.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by jayakris »

I was livid hearing all this crappy lines from Rach. Come on, we deserve better..

Place the damn call to Ric, IHF ...

Jay
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

I will buy a one way ticket for Rach from Lahore to Germany if Ric becomes the Indian coach at the end of the Champions Trophy.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Good display of game, but end result was, WE LOST ... Hopefully we used this performance to improve our performance in remaining matches ... Next is Germany on tuesday .. We should win it, lost with them would be unexplainable ... And that would be end of road to Rach ... Funnily today in newspaper I read Rach comments ... 'Our main target is not finishing last in CT04.' ... I was shocked to hear that comment from one of coach in premier tournament .

Good article by Pargat Singh on Rediff ... http://in.rediff.com/sports/2004/dec/06pargat.htm

Jaydeep.

PS. Just find link of it on Rediff about 'Rach Comment' ... http://in.rediff.com/sports/2004/dec/05rach.htm
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Today 7th December results from www.fihockey.org - International Hockey Federation's site ...

Spain 3 Vs NZ 1

Pau QUEMADA (PC) 40:12 , Pau QUEMADA (PC) 52:56, Santi FREIXA (FG) 64:42 (All Spain)
Darren SMITH (PC) 48:08 (New Zealand)

Netherlands 4 Vs Pakistan 1

Ronald BROUWER (FG) 13:57, Taeke TAEKEMA (PC) 39:06, Karel KLAVER (FG) 65:35, Jeroen DELMEE (PC) 69:41 (All Holland)
Sohail ABBAS (PC) 19:36 (Pakistan)

From site's commentary both loosing side were dominating their respective match and got maximum chances ... But Spain and Netherland were took s opportunities they got.

So within 30 mins our match with Germany begins.

Jaydeep.
mugu
Authors
Authors

Post by mugu »

jaydeep wrote: From site's commentary both loosing side were dominating their respective match and got maximum chances ... But Spain and Netherland were took s opportunities they got.
Jaydeep.
"Dominating their respective matches'' (?!) No way. Not in the Pak match. Pak and Dutch were even in the first half, but in the second the Dutch were clearly way ahead. They held the ball for long spells; they had the better share of exchanges and better thrusts. And they scored.
India down by a 20th minute goal against Germany.