Indian Shooting thread

All other sports such as squash, badminton,volleyball, atheletics etc which are not covered by any other forum heading can be entered in this forum

Moderator: Moderators

Sin Hombre
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Indian Shooting thread

Post by Sin Hombre »

sameerph wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 5:27 am
Sin Hombre wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 5:15 am What happens to the other quota given the Korean in the final also has a quota already?
3 Chinese were in the final and they already had their quota slate full and Japanese shooter had earned quota earlier. So, 4 out of 6 shooters were ineligible for quota. Remaining 2 shooters from Korea and India got 2 quotas from here.
I thought the Korean also already had a quota.

Edit - yea, he did from the 2022 WC
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Oh, I did not see that. So, all 5 shooters barring Anish in the final already had a quota or were ineligible due to country restriction.

So, they would have gone down to the qualies for second quota and second Korean was ranked 7th and he would have got the second quota.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Zoravar Sandhu bowed out first in mens trap final. So, no quota there.

Shotgun has been disappointing here with no quota in 4 events. Skeet is where we came closest to getting one.

Now, only womens 3 positions left for us for chance of quota.
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

I am planning to change our medal projections in shooting going forward.

Instead of individual athletes, I am going to make it per event. So 10m air rifle will mean both our quota participants, and 10m pistol in women would mean for now one participant (from the 25m quota spot).
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

^^^ Yes, that would be better because we do now know who will get selected for the team.

What I read on NRAI site is that there will be 4 selection trials next year sometime in March-May period I presume which will be the sole basis for selections. 3 best final scores of each shooter out of 4 trials will be considered and a ranking will be given according to that. Only consideration given to quota winner shooters is that 1 point will be added to their average points being reward for winning the quota for India.

So, in effect all these shooters can change a lot if the form changes during those selection trials.
srini

Post by srini »

^^ That's a welcome change and imho the best selection criteria. In-form shooters no matter who won the quota are the best bet for Olympics.
This would be gamechanger and I would change my earlier predictions of no medals from shooting to 3-4 medal expectations for Paris from shooting with at least a Gold.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Yes, they seem to have learnt from previous olympics failure. They have not yet mentioned when these trials will take place but last world olympics qualifier will take place in April 2024. And there are 2 quota places available for top ranked shooters who have still not got the quota which will be announced on June 9. I guess they cannot wait for that long for trials. Maybe they will be held mostly in May 2024 ( hopefully) which will be a couple of months before olympics which is close enough.

Btw, last of our quota place chance will be there tomorrow in womens 50M rifle 3 positions. Asians already have 5 quotas - 2 from China and 1 each from India, Korea and Mongolia. Asian games bronze medalist Ashi Chouksey will be our main contender. Other 2 shooters- Ayushi Poddar and Shriyanka Sadangi do not have much international success so far. So, I have moderate expectations from this event as it looks dependent on one shooter.
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

Samra 1st, Ashi 2nd, Shriyanka 6th and Ayushi 9th in qualification.

Samra at this point is firmly establishing herself as our best individual qualification shooter ahead of Manu and Ashi starting to show some consistency now.

Samra is not in our official squad here (good!) so Ashi, Shriyanka and Ayushi are all in the finals. 2 Chinese who can't earn quota, 2 Korean (1 has a quota) and a Kazakh round up the finals list.

So we have 3 Indians, 1 Korean and 1 Kazakh fighting for the quota spots. One of our 3 needs to finish ahead of one of Sang-hee (Korean without a quota) or the Kazakh. If we fail here, I won't have any words for that.
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

We finished 4th, 6th, 7th so no medals here but got our quota so we are done in the rifle events. 8/8 quotas secured, first nation to do so (China will likely match it tomorrow).

13 quotas in all secured though realistically this is actually 14 (since whoever gets the quota between Manu and Esha will shoot both 10m and 25m).
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

I like the NRAI doing 4 selection trials.

I am less keen on only using final scores. Manu still remains someone who should board the flight to Paris, over others who can't shoot 580 consistently, leave alone 590+. You cannot win a medal if you cannot reach the finals and reaching the Olympic finals needs a level of base competence and consistency that very few of our shooters have. Yes, Manu will likely choke in the finals but at least she will have that chance. None of our current pistol shooters bar Esha can even make the finals at Olympic standards.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Sin Hombre wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 2:51 am We finished 4th, 6th, 7th so no medals here but got our quota so we are done in the rifle events. 8/8 quotas secured, first nation to do so (China will likely match it tomorrow).

13 quotas in all secured though realistically this is actually 14 (since whoever gets the quota between Manu and Esha will shoot both 10m and 25m).
A bit underwhelming in the final today particularly from Ashi Chouksey who had done much better in finals in Asian games. But, nonetheless quota secured.

Yes, 14 events secured and also 2 air rifle mixed teams ensured. Have to check if 25M Pistol quota winner is considered for Air pistol mixed team. If so, we have 17 entries ensured. And I am expecting more pistol quotas and a couple of shotgun ones in 2 remaining competitions for quotas left.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Sin Hombre wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 3:11 am I like the NRAI doing 4 selection trials.

I am less keen on only using final scores. Manu still remains someone who should board the flight to Paris, over others who can't shoot 580 consistently, leave alone 590+. You cannot win a medal if you cannot reach the finals and reaching the Olympic finals needs a level of base competence and consistency that very few of our shooters have. Yes, Manu will likely choke in the finals but at least she will have that chance. None of our current pistol shooters bar Esha can even make the finals at Olympic standards.
OK, I read the guidelines again and it does seem they will consider qualification scores ( not final scores). Placings in final will only be considered for a tie break in case of equal scores.

That makes sense. We have not reached a stage where we have number of shooters in each category who can make final in a world class field. So, our first target has to be get shooters who will be able to qualify and than hope that they strike in the final.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Aishwary Pratap Singh Tomar wins gold in 50M rifle 3 positions in the last event for Asian championships. I think he won our only individual gold in these championships ( although some of the quota winners like Samra or Rudraksh were not participating for medal events). Tomar's final score of 463.5 was better than gold winning score at both Asian games and this year's world championships.

I think as of now Tomar and Samra in 50M 3P men and women are our best olympics medal hopefuls. It can all change in few months though as current form before olympics holds the key.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Was looking at the shooting results at Goa national games. Today in womens 10M Air rifle, Mehuli Ghosh had 633.1 in Qualification & 253.7 in Final, that was 0.3 away from final world record by Chinese Han Jiayu.

Another notable result in womens 50M rifle 3 positions where Anjum Modugil pushed Sift Kaur Samara to second place in both qualifications and final. It will be good if Anjum gets back to form.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Tomorrow, shooting world cup final starts in Cairo, Egypt. Top 15 shooters at the world cup have qualified for each of the 12 events.

These are the Indians who will be participating here-

10m Air Rifle Men: Rudrankksh Patil, Hriday Hazarika

10m Air Rifle Women: Mehuli Ghosh, Elavenil Valarivan, Ramita Jindal

10m Air Pistol Men: Sarabjot Singh

10m Air Pistol Women: Rhythm Sangwan, Esha Singh

Men's 50m Rifle 3P: Akhil Sheoran, Aishwary Pratap Singh Tomar

25m Rapid Pistol Men: Anish Bhanwala

25m Pistol Women: Rhythm Sangwan

Trap Men: Prithviraj Tondaiman

Skeet Women: Ganemat Sekhon

Almost everyone who has got a quota place for India is here except Sift Kaur Samra who apparently did not do too well in the world cups but did well in world championships and Asian games. Manu Bhakar too is not there.

Quite a studded field here. Tomorrow in mens 10M Air pistol, Sarabjot is going to be there , all 3 world championship medalists are there in the field. In Womens 10M Air pistol where Esha and Rhythm, 2 medalists of world championships are there. It will be interesting to see how Indian shooters perform in this level of field.