Admin Annoucements about the board

Moderator: Moderators

Dhruv
Administrator
Administrator

Major Site Modifications

Post by Dhruv »

Hi everybody,

I am making some major site modifications to add a bunch of features. Hopefully you guys will like the finished product. Anyway, If stuff isn;t working let me know. I will tidy up and make stuff nicer tommorrow as today I am pretty tired. :)

Anyway, you can check out the stuff I have put up. I have to work on permissions etc but that will done later as well.

Dhruv

Let me know what you think.... and also if stuff doesn't work.
Last edited by Dhruv on Sun May 02, 2004 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BSharma
Authors
Authors
Please enter the middle number: 1

Major Site Modifications

Post by BSharma »

Dhruv,

You are doing a great job!

I have not encountered any problems so far.

What will the calender accomplish? Are you going to post dates and times when the fans can chat?

Album is a good idea. Some of us do not know how some of our junior players look like in person. Can you or somebody try to get their pictures in the album. It is nice to put the face with the name.

:bounce:
Dhruv
Administrator
Administrator

Major Site Modifications

Post by Dhruv »

Yes basically, Jay, Arunava and myself can add events and I think (if I configured it correctly) everyone else can suggest events.

So basically we can use it to
1. Schedule chats (under construction)
2. Show schedules of Indian players/tournaments for football,tennis etc
3. Other stuff that I haven't quite thought of

I had a couple of days to spare so I thought I would add this stuff on. For photos, I think anyone(registered) can upload photos so if anyone has photos of players they can upload them. We can then later on arrange them properly in albums or add new albums if neccesary.

Please if you have photographs of players that you would like to share with us upload them here.
Dhruv
Administrator
Administrator

Major Site Modifications

Post by Dhruv »

Ok. Basically now I would feedback on the chat page. I was not online for the LP final as I had some other stuff to take care of so I don't have any clue of how it went or if people showed up. Yes I do have other stuff to do as well :).

If you had problems, other than it takes forever to connect (that's IRC getting info etc nothing I can do about that) please let me know. If you are working from inside a firewall (e.g. trying to access it from work) that probably (almost certainly) won't work but there are solutions to all that. I can probably troubleshoot most bugs but I need to what they are first :). Also if the colors are bad or ugly I can change those too. See where can you get this kind of service.

Maybe I should have an instructions page or something for the chat. Let me know anyway. Thanks

Dhruv
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Major Site Modifications

Post by jayakris »

Well, today it was just me talking to myself. Everybody was still recovering from the cricket match I guess. Nobody has noticed that LP picked up his first title with somebody else other than MB in some years. And a good one at that, with some good points.

Anyway, I found that I could log in as multiple users by connecting to the chat wothout logging in and selecting a name using a "/nick" command. You may want to mention how to select a name for oneself, if not logged into the forum page first. I am not sure what it does when multiple guy come in as anonymous, by the way.

I then looged into the forum from another MSIE window and went the chat with my own name. So I found I could speak to myself.

By the way, is there a way to avoid that install box for the "plouf" (?) program coming up every time. I said NO instinctively (as I am scared of stuff like the Gator program, spyware, etc, and have trained myself never to say yes to any program being installed). When I said no, it did not complain but IRC didn;t start. Tried a refresh, and it stayed grey and did not ask to install the program. had to kill the MSIE and restart before it would ask for the install again. I suppose these are all expected behavior? -- anyway, stuff like that could scare away users .....

The smileys work - and look nice ..

Didn't take too long to connect at all.. 10-20 seconds may be, for IRC to start after the grey screen.

Found one thing which may be a quirk of some sort? - suddenly a couple of lines I typed came up in brown. The next lines went back to black after that (I had just changed from one chat window to the other and back for those two lines; but when I repeated it, nothing happened). Didn't know why the color changed - I don't think I did anything....

Otherwise I talked to myself nicely and celebrated the shellacking by LP-DR in the final.

Jay
sunnyd
Please enter the middle number: 1

Major Site Modifications

Post by sunnyd »

Could you guys add a feature so that you can sort the topics on the forum by date posted (latest to oldest or vice-versa)? It's quite in convenient to go through each and every topic looking for the new ones.
Dhruv
Administrator
Administrator

Major Site Modifications

Post by Dhruv »

If I understand what you want correctly, this feature is already there. In each forum, the topics are sorted by the date of the last post. The only things that are not subject to this are announcements and stickies that we want everbody to see.

Also, the board keeps tracks of the new posts from the last time you logged in. On the main page, (www.sports-india.com) top right hand corner where it says Welcome XXXXX, guest if you are not logged in and your username if you are, just below that in the box it says (view posts since your last visit followed by a number). If you click on this button it will take you to a page which has all the new posts irrespective of forum on a new page.

Also on every forum, new posts since your last visit are marked with an orangish item , rather than the normal blue if there are new posts.

However, all these features (Except ofcourse the sort by date) only work if you are logged in.

I am assuming this is what your question was. One way you can sort items is by the search too. If this is not what you wanted please let us know.

Tks