Should People of Indian Origin play for India???

This is a place where you can enter any non-sports general topics
sunnyd
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by sunnyd »

I don't understand why some of you are against PIO's representing India in sport.

As someone mentioned in an earlier sport, almost all countries in the world have athletes who weren't born inthe country they represent. They however represent the country which they connect to.

You say Amritraj Jr. should not be picked by India. If he is better than most of the players in India, then why not? Having competitve athletes reperesting the country will only aid India in gaining respect among other sporting nations.

Players might also be based abroad because of better facilities available to them. If Amritraj was based in India, he probably wouild never have been at the level he is now. He is good because of the proper training he received in the U.S. (and also to a certain extent his genes).

So why the bias against athletes? Even our own IIT'ians leave India for the U.S. upon graduation because of better opportunities. Numerous CEO's in the American Tech sector are PIO's. Kalpana Chawla was raides in India but was an American Citizen. But that did not diminsh their popularity and acheivements in India.

So if PIO's are willing to play for India, the nation can only go forward in the sporting world.
david

Post by david »

This is a very sensitive topic and needs to be understood in a more mature and sober manner....

But one thing I am sure: A better player, whether rich or poor, Indian or Indian origin, black or white (?) who goes through the selection process should play for INDIA. The rules should be followed and the rules should be the same for all.

Most of the Indians prefer to go abroad since the life in INDIA is rubbish...

Excellence is rarely found
More rarely valued

Some athletes go abroad to train and realise their potential which might go wasted if they continue to train in INDIA. But everyone cannot afford it.

A politician spends Govt money and goes is a chartered flight for a heart surgery, An Ashish Ballal will be dropped from the Olympic team and fends for himself for a shoulder injury.

A Sachin get crores of tax exemption, a basketball wooden court for National Games is taxed.

A athlete get 40 lakhs to train abroad, some national teams get cleared only at `no cost to govt basis' and return with medals.

Prior 2000 sydney olympics, Hockey had 50per cent govt budget but weightlifting gets the only medal. I am not saying Hockey should not get the money.......

But the rules shoud be same for everyone and some sense and planning should go into the administration of sport.

So if Indian origin players are eligible and good (good enough for the selection) there is no reason why they should not get selected to play for INDIA.
But power politics, spending money and this kind of backdoor methods should be condemned!
Dhruv
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Dhruv »

Well now that FIFA changed rules to

Since January 1, players with dual citizenship or nationality who have not played international football above under-21 level have been eligible to apply to world soccer's governing body to change the country they represent
and India now allows dual citizenship, what is the chance of recruiting some of the PIO's to play for India even though they have represented their countires in Europe at the junior level.
suresh

Post by suresh »

I seem to have missed out on the interesting series of exchanges. I tend to agree
with Jay on the bottom line that "if one's heart is Indian and the rules permit it,
there is no harm in POI kids playing for India". From my pesonal experience, not
all the POI kids want to wear their Indianness on their sleeve(or socks as the
case may be). This website has atleast a couple of such kids, who are as Indian
as any kid growing up in India. We should also wake up to the fact these things will
happen again and again. So as an individual sportsperson growing up in India with
its associated aches and pains, one should accept that the world is unequal and try
to be better than the POI kids if one wants to represent India. I know that as a
scientist working in India, I cannot claim any excuse for any fall in my scientific
productivity due to Indian conditions even if that were true. I believe the same holds for sportspersons as well.