Sumit Nagal thread

All posts regarding specific player and player fans threads are in this forum

Moderator: Moderators

prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Sumit Nagal thread

Post by prasen9 »

Up 2-0 and one more break point on the other guy's serve.
Omkara

Post by Omkara »

He won 7-6, 6-1
vparam

Post by vparam »

Sumit has now passed Prajnesh and has tied Leander for the highest singles ranking by an Indian! Next up is Somdev at number 62. Let’s go Sumit!
prashanthm
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by prashanthm »

Watch this rally starting at 1:40:40 and the shot that helped setup the point and drew applause from Sumit' opponent... :clap:

https://www.atptour.com/en/atp-challeng ... 4/9001/all
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

vparam wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 2:17 pm Sumit has now passed Prajnesh and has tied Leander for the highest singles ranking by an Indian! Next up is Somdev at number 62. Let’s go Sumit!
Only in the live rankings. If he stays at that level in official ranking next Monday, we can say he has passed them or tied. This is just start of this week and Sumit will have to win at least 1 more round ( maybe more ) to stay at that live ranking of 73 where he is at now.

At Perugia Challenger 125, Italy (Clay)

[R2] (6) Sumit Nagal (IND,77) vs. (Q) Alessandro Giannessi (ITA,369)
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

prashanthm wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 11:41 am Jay, on the davis/BJK cup rule to determine eligibility for olympics you were discussing on totallyolympics - my interpretation and the essence of that rule is more around the player making themselves available for a tie, and not actually be selected for a tie. Because availability is the only thing in player's control, and not the actual selection.
True, but the country is also involved. My opposition is not to O'Connell getting consideration. It is to the country's getting consideration. In this case, Australia could have picked him as the 4th one, but did not. If it was a country wit 7 or 8 players in the top 75 and could not take him, fine, but he was like 4th for most of the last couple of years in Australia and they didn't pick him for any tie.

But the Totallympics guys and you are correct in the end though. ITF can explain it away and give a 4th spot to the Aussies and nobody would really complain. I was kicking up a ruckus mostly because it was Australia. If it were some Croatia or Canada or Netherlands that I don't have anything against, I would have let it go. Actually I have nothing against AUS either, but thought I might as well gaslight the damn Aussies just for the heck of it! :) .... for beating us in cricket in every rare occasion when I pay attention and the match actually matters!
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

prashanthm wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 1:07 pm Scary scary start for Sumit as he was down a break in the first set and sought medical attention. Something related to his back as far as I could tell...
Yeah, clearly his back. The lady physio seemed to give him a lower back massage and then later came back to spray something and give some more taps to the back. Hopefully not connected to his hip issue from earlier for which he had surgery.

I don't know why he is playing doubles this week. He can use a day of rest tomorrow, but is scheduled to come and play an evening doubles match. Hopefully he will not exert there and would tank it (with apologies to his partner!)
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

^^^ His singles second round is also scheduled for tomorrow. Doubles after that. Yes, dont mind him tanking doubles at all, especially since it is against Balaji who can do with some extra confidence before Olympics.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Oh yeah, singles too, tomorrow. I missed that in the schedule
prashanthm

Post by prashanthm »

jayakris wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 3:53 pm
But the Totallympics guys and you are correct in the end though. ITF can explain it away and give a 4th spot to the Aussies and nobody would really complain. I was kicking up a ruckus mostly because it was Australia. If it were some Croatia or Canada or Netherlands that I don't have anything against, I would have let it go. Actually I have nothing against AUS either, but thought I might as well gaslight the damn Aussies just for the heck of it! :) .... for beating us in cricket in every rare occasion when I pay attention and the match actually matters!
Yessssss! I am completely with you on that aspect.... :D
We were watching 'Maidaan' the other day and the the interaction showed with the Australian players before and after the first match of the 1956 Melbourne oly - and we were like 'yeah, these guys were always like that' :oof:
prashanthm

Post by prashanthm »

On Sumit playing doubles this week, it was a gud idea to begin with.
But based on how the day transpired for him, he may opt out and withdraw. I would say that is more respectful that actually playing and tanking the match...
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

They may lose anyway as Balaji-Begemann have been playing well recently, so there may be no real need to tank it.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

#73 in the live rankings list. Even if he wins one more round, he will stay at that ranking or move down if the folks playing at the ATP tournament just under him win. If the next two win, they will go above Sumit and he will go down to #75. So, his matching Leander's ranking at the end of the week is not a given.
Sanjay

Post by Sanjay »

sameerph wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 4:22 pm ^^^ His singles second round is also scheduled for tomorrow. Doubles after that. Yes, dont mind him tanking doubles at all, especially since it is against Balaji who can do with some extra confidence before Olympics.
Looks like he is tanking singles S1: 0-4. :-~
Sanjay

Post by Sanjay »

S1: 0-6. Bagelled.

Is he hurt?