Paris Olympics 2024

All other sports such as squash, badminton,volleyball, atheletics etc which are not covered by any other forum heading can be entered in this forum

Moderator: Moderators

jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Paris Olympics 2024

Post by jayakris »

prasen9 wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 5:00 pm And, I hope we do some of these innovations ourselves.
I wouldn't boil my broth for that. Is there any innovation in ANY sport that Indians have made? My feeling was that we are not really too innovative, but I would be glad to be corrected.

Forget being innovative. Anything even original that our players or coaches have come up with, in any sport?

(Mahesh Bhupathi's weird-looking serve, and Karman's circle-walk serve are the only "original" things that come to mind, from the sport I follow most closely - tennis. Then there is "Mankading" that I am told is considered shameful though I totally disagree with that)
prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by prasen9 »

Virender Sehwag was perhaps the first opener who was a see-ball/hit-ball player in test cricket hitting almost every ball he could even when the ball was new. I think Srikkanth as an opener was also very aggressive but not as much as Viru. Viru saw every ball as one with a boundary written on it. Dhoni's helicopter shot and one motion stumping technique.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

^^ But none of these things are considered original ideas that others can adopt. Bhupathi's and Karman's mannerisms while serving are just curiosities and not taken as anything of use for others to adopt. Viru's hitting style was a mindset, that others wouldn't easily be able to adopt, nor was it proved as an innovation that has some thought behind it. Dhoni's one-motion stumping (basically moving the hand before catching the ball in it, right?) was simply showing his incredible reflex and talent, and wicket-keepers are not coached to emulate that or train that (in fact, catch first is what is taught, I think). His helicopter shot was a curiosity like in MB's case (the helicopter motion was on follow through after the shot and did not particularly help in the shot itself, for others to emulate), am I right?

[By the way, wasn't Jayasuria before Viru, and maybe even Gordon Greenidge long ago, credited with that style of hitting as an openor, or is my memory all faulty when it comes to cricket?]
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

I agree Viru's hitting every ball was not a innovation, e.g., one type of ball or shot or fielding style/position per se. But, it was more of a systemic innovation. In tests, nobody batted like that before him.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

sameerph wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 8:54 am
Sinhombre, I guess you still have to add wrestling, weightlifting and whatever small chance in table tennis.
I just saw that wrestling final olympic qualifiers will be held in next 4 days. So, it will be good to do wrestling projections after that especially as we will then know how many have qualified in mens freestyle if any ( as of now we have nil).
srini

Post by srini »

^^ We can start projections now, if we know the flight route they are taking. If there is a lay over in Dubai, we can bring down the qualification chances and medal projections to zero :p
indiansportsfan

Post by indiansportsfan »

I didn't understand why last time they had to arrive at the competition venue just 1-2 days before the event; and also why they had to go through Dubai? Dubai didn't seem to be in the direct path, unless they stopped to do some shopping.
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

I think Dubai is a major hub for flights for many Asian venues. That said, teams should plan to get to a venue more than 1-2 days ahead to get acclimated to the venue and conditions.
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

It is as arjun said. If I recall correctly, they were training somewhere in Russia and had a connection through Dubai.
sameerph wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 5:20 pm
sameerph wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 8:54 am
Sinhombre, I guess you still have to add wrestling, weightlifting and whatever small chance in table tennis.
I just saw that wrestling final olympic qualifiers will be held in next 4 days. So, it will be good to do wrestling projections after that especially as we will then know how many have qualified in mens freestyle if any ( as of now we have nil).
I will do them now and then keep updating after every major event. Next update after wrestling qualifiers, end of Saudi smash and Doha diamond league.
Last edited by Sin Hombre on Thu May 09, 2024 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

Table tennis (after Olympic qualifiers and recent ITTF tour events)

women's team event (0 --> 0.01)
Manika Batra (0 --> 0.01) (great run at the Saudi smash event)
Sathiyan/Manika - mixed doubles table tennis (0.05 --> 0) (did not qualify)

The men (both team and individuals) and Sreeja have no medal hopes, though Sharath could make a run to the last 16.

Overall medal expectations 0.05 --> 0.02 (-0.23)

Tennis (tour events)

men's doubles tennis (0.01)

Overall medal expectations 0.01 --> 0.01 (unch)

Weightlifting (tour events)

Mirabai Chanu - women's 49kg weightlifting (0.3) (she is fit and North Korea is still banned)

Overall medal expectations 0.3 --> 0.3 (unch)

Wrestling (Olympic qualifiers)

Antim Panghal - women's 53kg wrestling 0.5 (needs a good draw to medal)
Vinesh Phogat - women's 50kg wrestling 0-->0.1 (she is back wrestling)
Anshu Malik - women's 57kg wrestling 0.01-->0.1 (also back wrestling and will have chances like Sakshi did in 2016, had Mansi as our entrant previously)
Reetika Hooda - women's 76kg wrestling 0.05-->0.05 (I had Kiran as our entrant at this weight, Reetika unlike Anshu or Vinesh has never accomplished much at major tournaments prior)

not qualified yet
Deepak Punia - men's 86kg wrestling (0.5 -> 0.1)
Aman Sehrawat - men's freestyle 57kg (0.3 --> 0.05) (bad loss to similarly ranked wrestler at the Asian qualifiers)
women's 68kg freestyle wrestling (0.01 --> 0.01) (Nisha Dahiya was unlucky at the Asian qualifiers and will likely qualify at this final event)
women's 62kg freestyle wrestling (0.05 --> 0) (I had Sonam Malik here but we have had Mansi go up a weight for the qualification events and she won't qualify)
Sunil Kumar - men's 87kg greco-roman wrestling (0.01 --> 0) (has not looked like qualifying yet)

Overall medal expectations 1.43 --> 0.91 (-0.52)

By sport,
Archery = 0.21
Athletics = 1.01
Badminton = 0.76
Boxing = 0.69
Hockey = 0.3
Golf = 0.06
Shooting = 1.54
Table tennis = 0.02
Tennis = 0.01
Weightlifting = 0.3
Wrestling = 0.91

Total medals = 5.81 (-1.08 from last update)
0xPadel

Post by 0xPadel »

I'll be in Paris during the Olympics. I can't wait to see it with my own eyes. :D
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

Final boxing predictions

Boxing (Olympic qualifiers and Elorda)
Nikhat Zareen - women's 50kg boxing 0.3 (won in a weak field in Elorda easily)
Lovlina Borgohain - women's 75kg boxing 0.3
Parveen Hooda disqualified / Jaismine Hooda qualified - women's 57kg boxing 0.05
Preeti Pawar - women's 54kg boxing 0.01
Amit Panghal - men's 51kg boxing 0.1 (his form is unclear, won at Strandja and Olympic quota easily in weak fields. He is a big name in amateur boxing and it is a small field)
Nishant Dev - men's 71kg wrestling 0.05 (lost to Japanese WC at the Asian Games QF and American WC silver medalist in the first qualifier in the quota bout. He is not a top 4-5 boxer in the field but probably around the 8-10 spot and can medal with a lucky draw).

Overall medal expectations 0.69 --> 0.81 (+0.12)
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

June 10th update

Archery (after 2nd Archery world cup)
men's archery team 0.1 (2nd in qualification, though lost to Canada)
mixed archery team 0.05 (Deepika has returned in good form)
women's archery team 0.01->0 (team ex Deepika is terrible)
Dheeraj men's recurve 0.05 (he is clearly top-5 in qualification, I do not trust his nerves once he gets to the last 16 or so)
Deepika women's recurve 0.05 (returned in good form)

Overall medal expectations 0.21 --> 0.25 (+0.04)

Athletics (post Doha diamond meet and recent events)
Neeraj Chopra - men's javelin 0.9
Kishore Jena - men’s javelin 0.05-->0.01
Avinash Sable - men's 3000m steeplechase 0.05
men's 4x400m relay 0.01

Overall medal expectations 1.01 --> 0.97 (-0.04)

Badminton (after Asian series)
Chirag / Satwik - men's doubles badminton 0.5 (mixed results, possible injury)
Lakshya Sen - men's singles badminton 0.1 (seems in decent form)
HS Prannoy - men's singles badminton 0.1 --> 0.05 (terrible form)
PV Sindhu - women's singles badminton 0.05 (missed out on seeding, longshot)
Tanisha/Ashwini - women's doubles badminton (0.01) (really no chance and will need a lot of luck)

Overall medal expectations 0.76 --> 0.71 (-0.05)

Boxing (2nd Olympic qualifiers and Elorda)
Nikhat Zareen - women's 50kg boxing 0.3 (won in a weak field in Elorda easily)
Lovlina Borgohain - women's 75kg boxing 0.3
Jaismine Hooda qualified - women's 57kg boxing 0.05
Preeti Pawar - women's 54kg boxing 0.01
Amit Panghal - men's 51kg boxing 0.1 (his form is unclear, won at Strandja and Olympic quota easily in weak fields. He is a big name in amateur boxing and it is a small field)
Nishant Dev - men's 71kg wrestling 0.05 (lost to Japanese WC at the Asian Games QF and American WC silver medalist in the first qualifier in the quota bout. He is not a top 4-5 boxer in the field but probably around the 8-10 spot and can medal with a lucky draw).

Overall medal expectations 0.69 --> 0.81 (+0.12)

Hockey (after FIH Pro league)

men's hockey 0.3 --> 0.1 (mixed performances)

Overall medal expectations 0.3 --> 0.1 (-0.2)

Golf (tour events)

Aditi Ashok 0.05
Diksha Dagar 0.01 --> 0 (form has fallen of late)

Overall medal expectations 0.06 --> 0.05 (-0.01)

Shooting (Munich world cup)

men's 10m rifle 0.05-->0.1
men's 10m pistol 0.05-->0.1
men's 50m rifle 3 positions 0.2-->0.1
men's 25m pistol 0.05
women's 10m air rifle 0.2 --> 0.1
women’s 10m air pistol 0.05
women's 50m rifle 3 positions 0.3 --> 0.5
women's 25m pistol 0.2
mixed 10m air rifle team 0.3-->0.1
mixed 10m pistol team 0.1-->0.3
mixed skeet team 0.01
women's skeet 0.01
women's trap 0.01
men's skeet 0.01
men's trap 0

Overall medal expectations 1.54 --> 1.64 (+0.1)

Table tennis (after recent ITTF tour events)

women's team event 0.01
Manika Batra 0.01 (great run at the Saudi smash event)

Overall medal expectations 0.02 (-)

Tennis (tour events)

men's doubles tennis 0.01-->0.05 (Rohan and Balaji in good form)

Overall medal expectations 0.01 --> 0.05 (+0.04)

Weightlifting (no events)

Mirabai Chanu - women's 49kg weightlifting (0.3) (she is fit and North Korea is still banned)

Overall medal expectations 0.3 --> 0.3 (unch)

Wrestling (Olympic qualifiers and Budapest ranking series)

Antim Panghal - women's 53kg wrestling 0.5-->0.1 (needs a good draw to medal)
Vinesh Phogat - women's 50kg wrestling 0.1-->0.05 (back wrestling but out of form)
Anshu Malik - women's 57kg wrestling 0.1-->0.3 (good performance at Budapest)
Reetika Hooda - women's 76kg wrestling 0.05-->0.3 (good performance at Budapest)
Nisha Dahiya - women's 68kg freestyle wrestling 0.01-->0.05 (qualified)
Aman Sehrawat - men's freestyle 57kg (0.05 --> 0.1) (qualified)

Overall medal expectations 0.91 --> 0.9 (-0.01)

By sport,
Archery = 0.25
Athletics = 0.97
Badminton = 0.71
Boxing = 0.81
Hockey = 0.1
Golf = 0.05
Shooting = 1.64
Table tennis = 0.02
Tennis = 0.01
Weightlifting = 0.3
Wrestling = 0.9

Total medals = 5.76 (-0.05 from last update)
indiansportsfan

Post by indiansportsfan »

I think I agree with most, but boxing, weightlifting and wrestling seem a little bit underestimated to me (in that order). I would give an overall estimate of ~6.5.
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/paris-wanted- ... 24860.html

Looks like Paris olympics will use a cooling system that will keep things cool, but will not be to the degree that top athletes are accustomed to, si lot of countries are bringing in their own portable AC unit

Lot of countries will be buying those ac units locally and will probably leave it behind.. Great idea for hosting nations to consider.
Paris organizers had realized even a year ago that air-conditioning was a touchy subject. So officials included portable air-conditioning units on what is called a “rate card” - a menu of add-ons and accessories that visiting countries could purchase to spruce up their dorms and offices. But that offer coincided with a campaign to convince visitors that the cooling methods already in place, most notably a geothermal system of in-floor cooling pipes, would work sufficiently. Officials emphasized that rooms would be at least 6 degrees Celsius (11 degrees Fahrenheit) cooler than outside temperatures. They described running simulations of heat waves. The director of the Olympic and Paralympic Villages stressed that athletes “will be able to rest correctly.”