Paris Olympics 2024

All other sports such as squash, badminton,volleyball, atheletics etc which are not covered by any other forum heading can be entered in this forum

Moderator: Moderators

Sin Hombre
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Paris Olympics 2024

Post by Sin Hombre »

sameer - we should update the predictions this weekend.

all - does anyone have any recommendations for Indian sport non-profit/charities or have any contacts with them (like OGQ for example)?
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Sin Hombre wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:35 am sameer - we should update the predictions this weekend.
Yes, looks like projections would go down with mens wrestling, badminton (HSP/Sindhu) and to an extent from mens boxing and athletics (Sreeshankar).
rajitghosh

Post by rajitghosh »

Outside of Neeraj and SatChi it is a question of how many we can manage in women's boxing and wrestling. The shooters I feel will flatter to deceive. The hockey team has regressed. Do the rest even have a chance?
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

So, all doom, and maximum 3 or 4 medals to look for?
rajitghosh

Post by rajitghosh »

Anything more than 5 should be considered a super achievement
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

We already had 7 last time, so 5 would be considered an underachievement.

Let Sinhombre do the detailed projections but as of now I think anything more than 5 depends on shooting. Based on merits and performances over last 1 year, couple of medals should be there in shooting but than in last 2 olympics, shooters have faltered at the Olympics. If the same thing happens third time around, we will go below 5.
rajitghosh

Post by rajitghosh »

Last time we had 2 from hockey and weightlifting. I don't see those repeating. We had 2 in men's wrestling. Those are gone. So if we need to go above 5 we would need to maximize in women's wrestling and boxing. I have no doubts on the shooters' skills but I doubt they have the mental stength to win medals.
srini

Post by srini »

Deepak Punia would have qualified if not for the Dubai desert floods. We still have the last qualification tournament at Istanbul from May9th, don't we stand any chance of qualifying 1 or 2 men there? The same set of wrestlers seem to be going to Istanbul.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

srini wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:57 am Deepak Punia would have qualified if not for the Dubai desert floods. We still have the last qualification tournament at Istanbul from May9th, don't we stand any chance of qualifying 1 or 2 men there? The same set of wrestlers seem to be going to Istanbul.
I would not say Deepak would have surely qualified but he would have had a good chance. I though the same thing about Aman Sherawat and he got thrashed in the key bout after winning the earlier ones easily.

But, yes with 3 places on offer in each weight class at final qualifying tournament, we should be able to get at least a couple qualify in mens freestyle. Otherwise it will be disastrous.

Btw, WFI has changed it's mind and there will be another trial to select team for final qualifying tiyrnament.
prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by prasen9 »

I still think about 7 would be what we will get.
arjun2761
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by arjun2761 »

I think we will get multiple medals in shooting. Our very first individual gold and silver were won in shooting, so we have had success in the past.

Other the shooters, SatChi, Neeraj, women wrestlers, and women boxers look like the only ones with a reasonable chance of success. So, 5-6 seems like a reasonable number.

If India hosts the Olympics, they need to add Chess as an Olympic sport. Perhaps, do it by weight class (40, 50, 60, 70, and 70+ kg) for mens, womens, and mixed. So that would give us 15 more medal opportunities. :D
rajitghosh

Post by rajitghosh »

If India hosts have billiards in multiple formats first, then have kabaddi and ensure Iran cannot come, then kho kho and finally Gilly danda.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

rajitghosh wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:16 am If India hosts have billiards in multiple formats first, then have kabaddi and ensure Iran cannot come, then kho kho and finally Gilly danda.
Cricket medals also as possibilities. We will also include some Yoga and that sport with the vertical pole (which were actually mentioned at the Olympics website as potential sports). I am sure we will come up with some 3 or 4 events for some medals and will do whatever it takes with a lot of money expenditure, and manufacture some 15+ medals in the end. That is okay. Let us get the Olympics anyway.
rajitghosh

Post by rajitghosh »

The sport with vertical review you are referring to is called mallakhamb. Quite popular in Maharshtra. It was recently included in the National Games. By the way, in the 1936 Olympics a team from India mainly Maharashtra has visited Hitler's Games and demonstrated some Indian sports like kabaddi, yoga and mallkhamb. Hitler had presented them with a medal. So some of these have precedents in the Olympics. Attaching few articles on this.
https://thewire.in/sport/mallakhamb-day ... he%20sport.
https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/ne ... s?from=mdr
https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/ne ... s?from=mdr
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

^^^ Yes, Mallakhamb!! Here is my post during the National games with the links to the Olympics website page
jayakris wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:00 pm Yogasana and Mallakhamb will be new events entering the National Games. Here are the International Olympic Association page on the rules of two sports - Yogasana and Mallakhamb.