Roland Garros Claycourt Run-Up Tournaments 2024

This is a forum where users can follow various tournaments that have Indian participation or are held in India. GrandSlams and Davis Cup should also be discussed here.

Moderator: Moderators

jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Roland Garros Claycourt Run-Up Tournaments 2024

Post by jayakris »

atula wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:29 pm It seems that Bopanna is taking sumit under his wings,The Airfare/Hotel Stay/Eateries etc..On the Tour Arrangements are Very difficult if you are Alone,With a companion,however you can always share-Consult things, & it really helps,as you have to shell out less money.. :cool:

It will Only help Sumit more,As he now being ranked inside top 100,Can Play the same Big Tournaments as Bopanna,Share Hotel Rooms/Get some Air Royalty etc..// :cool:
He does not need to share rooms or anything anymore. The ATP level tournaments give full hospitality, right from airport pick-up to airport drop-off to all main draw players. He will have his top-hotel rooms, and hardly any expense except the air fare to get there.
arjun2761
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by arjun2761 »

He may be sharing with his coach unless the tournament also gets the coach a separate room. He is definitely in a better place financially this year if he can stay in top 100 and make all the GS main draws.

BTW, I read on Reddit that singles players get min 5 days from Saturday and doubles players get min 3 days from Sunday. Of course, longer if they go deep in the draw. So Sumit may actually get more hospitality than Rohan.😀
atula

Post by atula »

I am curious to Know whether the same Royalties are offered to Qualifiers or not,Because Sumit will enter Madrid as a Qualifier in the Qualifying Competition and not in the Main Draw..//
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Unless they share coaches, which I don't think they do, the coaches will not want to be sharing a room either. So the cost savings is not much but the camaraderie is very valuable. It is hard to keep traveling on your own and having an experienced mentor types to talk to about what to do, how to plan, etc. will help him.
Sanjay

Post by Sanjay »

jayakris wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:36 pm
atula wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:29 pm It seems that Bopanna is taking sumit under his wings,The Airfare/Hotel Stay/Eateries etc..On the Tour Arrangements are Very difficult if you are Alone,With a companion,however you can always share-Consult things, & it really helps,as you have to shell out less money.. :cool:

It will Only help Sumit more,As he now being ranked inside top 100,Can Play the same Big Tournaments as Bopanna,Share Hotel Rooms/Get some Air Royalty etc..// :cool:
He does not need to share rooms or anything anymore. The ATP level tournaments give full hospitality, right from airport pick-up to airport drop-off to all main draw players. He will have his top-hotel rooms, and hardly any expense except the air fare to get there.
Oh I didn't know that, that is interesting to know! ATP Tournaments provide hotel also? Some years ago, I was in Cincinnati for the 1000 event, Johanna Konta was in my hotel and in front of me in the breakfast buffet line :D I did not know about her but my son did. I asked her if she was Johanna Konta and she said yes.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

^^^ Nice. They are often nice, unless they feel you are a reporter or tennis-groupie (they can all sense it).

Yes, all the tournaments give great hospitality to the main draw players (singles and doubles). I don't think they even haggle about an extra day over the ATP/WTA stipulated periods of stay. The qualifying rounds players are not offered rooms but many tournaments might have negotiated lower rate rooms in nearby hotels and all that (or may even offer host family rooms). It all varies from tournament to tournament a bit, but they all know that the players needed to be treated well, for them to return.

Then there are also tournaments like Chennai Open that used to not take Indian players seriously (except the big stars). Like when they told Harsh Mankad only on Saturday that he got a wildcard and he flew in from the US by Tuesday morning. They had no rooms for him to drop his bags, but they scheduled him for an 11 am match and he had to run from the airport, shave at the lobby rest room, and get on court. That too happens! :D
Rajiv

Post by Rajiv »

^^ Yes remember that Harsh's last minute WC invite and the tournament Honcho at that time Vijay made sure that his son(Prakash) faced the most unprepared opponent in R1, and few months later Harsh got his revenge when they met in some American challenger.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

^^^ Yes sir. Good memory! I didn't want to get into the gory details.
atula

Post by atula »

I really hope that Sumit gets the transition done from a Qualifier, to a Direct Main Draw Player on the ATP Tour, so as to get the best of Privileges. :goodluck:

Nevertheless he would be getting Direct Entry in the Main Draw of Grand Slam Events where the Draw Consists of 128 Players..//
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Yuki Bhambri (partnering Albano Olivetti) got a good win in R1 of the Bavarian International (ATP250 in Munich), beating the champions of the Monte Carlo Masters last week, and finalists at last year's French Open, Vliegen/Gille (both Belgians).
Sanjay

Post by Sanjay »

The site says Sumit has withdrawn from Madrid Qualie but is Alternate #19 in Main. What does that mean?
Looks like he is not playing?
Omkara

Post by Omkara »

So it's a injury scare, otherwise it can't be that he misses two tournaments in a row. Maybe minor scare.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Sanjay wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:38 pm The site says Sumit has withdrawn from Madrid Qualie but is Alternate #19 in Main. What does that mean?
Looks like he is not playing?
^^^ It means he does not plan to get there by Sunday and get there tired playing qualies on Monday/Tues, after just a 9 day break. But somehow if the cut drops to #19, he might consider flying up there on Monday and playing by Wed/Thu, which will give him almost a 2-week break since the Rune match. I don't think there is any chance that the main draw cut will drop that much, so he won't be at the Madrid masters.

He said "2-3 weeks break", which means a good long break from April 11th (when he finished playing Rune) to April 29th at the big €200,00 challenger at Cagliari, Italy. An 18 day break, and 29th/30th is when he expects to play next. He is 9 out right now from the Cagliari challenger cut, but it will drop. With a normal cut around #130 there, he will surely make the man draw and will probably be the 7th or 8th seed there (as some of the entries will be still alive at the Madrid masters by the 27th when the Cagliari draw is made). So expect him to play the challenger giving 35 points and $6500 for making even a QF.

So it is Cagliari challenger, Rome masters qualies, and Roland Garros, with an option to play somewhere in the second week of Rome masters if he is not alive at Rome.

If he withdraws from the Apr 29 Cagliari challenger list, we can start suspecting some injury issue we need to be concerned about. Otherwise it is a planned rest period and may only be to prevent any potential issues, and to heal any minor dings or aches/pains he wanted to get rid of.
Sanjay

Post by Sanjay »

Ah too bad, I was looking forward to Madrid. :-~

I hope he won't lose the momentum by taking off for too long. Each day of the clay season counts.
atula

Post by atula »

This has probably been the tendency, Our players crack the top 100 & then are unable to Sustain it due to the Rigorous demands of the Tour..//