Moderator: Moderators

jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Sumit Nagal thread

Post by jayakris »

Sumit had to send an urgent request for help to the UK High commission in Delhi for a visa appointment, to be able to go to Wimbledon, and he got the High Commissioner to respond quickly. She also commented below his tweet, "glad to help, but I may feel differently if you beat a British uy in the final". Haha :)

Has he gone to India to take care of this?
arjun2761
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by arjun2761 »

I hope that is the case as that would mean no injury. :D Some rest is good as a preventive measure even if ends up missing a week or two of clay court play. Wimbledon first round loss paid nearly $70K last year, so completely makes sense to go there financially even if his game isn't necessarily suited to grass.
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

Flavio Cobolli just lost 2-6, 3-6 to Nadal. This follows his previous weeks 2-6, 3-6 loss to Nagal. So, Nagal = Nadal?
Sanjay

Post by Sanjay »

I am disappointed because things were getting really exciting but I think he took the right decision if he wasn't feeling up to it. Better to take a break, heal and rejuvenate and then go back to kicking ass. :devil:

Sumit Nagal eyes return to action soon after brief training break
https://khelnow.com/tennis/sumit-nagal- ... ion-202404
Sumit Nagal recently achieved his career-best ranking of 80.

Indian tennis star Sumit Nagal has stated that he will be training and taking rest for the next two or three weeks before he returns to action.

Nagal is currently enjoying a breakthrough year in 2024. In January, the Indian tennis star defeated Kazakhstan’s Alexander Bublik in straight sets at the Australian Open. Later in February, he managed to break into the top 100 of the ATP rankings following a title win at the ATP Chennai Challenger, where he defeated Luca Nardi in the finals.

Last week at the Monte Carlo Masters, he took down the likes of Italy’s Matteo Arnaldi and then also won a set against Holger Rune in the Round of 16. However, constant travel and regularly competing in events can be a tiring processes. As a result, the 26-year-old has decided to take two or three weeks off from tennis action.

Nagal said (via RevSportz), “I will be training for the next two or three weeks and then play again.”

Nagal also talked about achieving his career-best ranking of 80. He stated that it’s only a small milestone in his tennis journey, as he’s looking forward to breaking into the top 50 of the rankings.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Sumit is also afraid because of his past injuries. So, may be he is over-cautious. But better over slightly than under if it does not upset his rhythm.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

So, here is Sumit's schedule for 5 weeks starting next week, based on where he has entered. After a 16 day break since April 11, he should be getting to Cagliari by end of this week around Apr 27/28. Then it is every week from there on.

Apr 29 - Cagliari Challenger 175 main draw (probably as a low seed)
May 6 - Rome Masters qualies as a top-8 seed (15 out from main draw now; I doubt it will fall that much)
May 13 - Bordeaux Chellenger 175 main draw (unless he makes Rome MD and is still alive there after a week)
May 20 - Lyon ATP (13 out now) or Geneva ATP (18 out) - should make 1 of 2. Or Qual, if not in Bordeaux Final.
May 27 - French Open, Roland Garros, Main draw.

Now you can see why he skipped the ATP events now, and chose to throw in two high-end challengers that give 25 pts for QF and 50 pts for SF. As a seed and possibly even a top-4 seed, he will not need to pull upsets to pick up some 50 or 75 points from these challengers. I think it was a smart idea to recharge, and look for some safety points that will keep him in the top-90 for a bit longer, in case he gets no draw favors at Rome/Lyon/FO and fails to pick up points there.

I approve the schedule he has picked for himself :)
Sanjay

Post by Sanjay »

jayakris wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:27 am So, here is Sumit's schedule for 5 weeks starting next week, based on where he has entered. After a 16 day break since April 11, he should be getting to Cagliari by end of this week around Apr 27/28. Then it is every week from there on.

Apr 29 - Cagliari Challenger 175 main draw (probably as a low seed)
May 6 - Rome Masters qualies as a top-8 seed (15 out from main draw now; I doubt it will fall that much)
May 13 - Bordeaux Chellenger 175 main draw (unless he makes Rome MD and is still alive there after a week)
May 20 - Lyon ATP (13 out now) or Geneva ATP (18 out) - should make 1 of 2. Or Qual, if not in Bordeaux Final.
May 27 - French Open, Roland Garros, Main draw.

Now you can see why he skipped the ATP events now, and chose to throw in two high-end challengers that give 25 pts for QF and 50 pts for SF. As a seed and possibly even a top-4 seed, he will not need to pull upsets to pick up some 50 or 75 points from these challengers. I think it was a smart idea to recharge, and look for some safety points that will keep him in the top-90 for a bit longer, in case he gets no draw favors at Rome/Lyon/FO and fails to pick up points there.

I approve the schedule he has picked for himself :)
Cagliari, he is #9 Alt. Not sure he can get in.

BTW, I got "account suspended error" all day yesterday.
vparam

Post by vparam »

Sumit dropped quite a bit in the live rankings.
Sanjay

Post by Sanjay »

vparam wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:40 pm Sumit dropped quite a bit in the live rankings.
80 to 91.
If you are idle as far as matches go, others gain points and you move back. I hope this break is a calculated risk.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

It is not others gaining points but Sumit is losing 79 points in 2 weeks time from the Rome Challenger title which he won from last year and also 11 points this week.
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

So any points from Cagliari for Sumit will be added back when the rankings are next updated in 2 weeks.

With respect to Cagliari, Sumit needs 9 players in the current Cagliari MD to either advance to the second week in Madrid (or a few others withdraw for other reasons). Some of the better players in Cagliari draw (such as #15 Umbert) are good bets to get to the second week of Madrid but Sumit has to hope that many of the others do the same as well.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

arjun2761 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:10 pm So any points from Cagliari for Sumit will be added back when the rankings are next updated in 2 weeks.
Yes, and the Bordeaux challenger follows later, for one more chance at playing lower ranked players with higher probability for some wins. He needed to mix in some good challengers, because you cannot count on continuing to pull upsets at ATP events. I think skipping the current two weeks, and adding the challengers in the upcoming wing was very smart of him. It may or may not work, but you have to balance things and should not go all gung-ho that you are already a top-80 player and can make a living upsetting top players week after week exclusively at tour events. I have seen many make that mistake, fall below 100, and then struggle for months to get ATP entries.
With respect to Cagliari, Sumit needs 9 players in the current Cagliari MD to either advance to the second week in Madrid (or a few others withdraw for other reasons). Some of the better players in Cagliari draw (such as #15 Umbert) are good bets to get to the second week of Madrid but Sumit has to hope that many of the others do the same as well.
Don't worry, he will make it in. There is also Aix-en-Provence Challenger 175 next week. Between these two challengers, there will be at least 5-6 spots that will clear because of players being alive in Madrid by Saturday. Then 4 SE spots and wildcards and all that. Quite a few of the uys ahead of him are in both challengers (I am not sure why he also didn't enter Aix-en-Provence though).... Some of these top-60 guys in the two challengers will withdraw too, even if they have lost at Madrid by this weekend, to take rest next week. Sumit will safely make it in.

I wish he had entered the Cagliari qualies though. Again, he may be getting very careful about the number of matches he plays (especially those that do not give too many points) and may be trying not to play qualies unless it is for Masters or big ATP events. Keep it at a maximum 2 or 3 matches to get 50 to 75 points in any week. That is a good strategy to preserve some physical edge and keep the ranking high.
Michael Joseph

Post by Michael Joseph »

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/spo ... 560007.cms

So this article makes it clear Sumit will be training for the next 3 weeks in Germany. His next tournament is Lyon the week before Roland Garros.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Michael Joseph wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:51 pm https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/spo ... 560007.cms
So this article makes it clear Sumit will be training for the next 3 weeks in Germany. His next tournament is Lyon the week before Roland Garros.
I don't know about this schedule now. Kinda doesn't make any sense. So, basically he is on a 6 week break. Training is not a bad thing, so let us hope it works out.

Unless we hear otherwise, scratch Cagliari CH, Rome Masters and Bordeaux CH listed above. Qualies at Lyon seems to be the plan.
Rajiv

Post by Rajiv »

If that is the schedule going to be, then it is nothing but like skiving off school lesson's.
Dont know who really is advising him on truancy of tournaments.