Is it time to have a RB and SM page?

A new subforum created to discuss Sania Mirza. As a lot of the other tennis player threads were getting overloaded, thus a new forum to discuss Sania Mirza

Moderator: Moderators

prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by prasen9 »

Now that LP has said that he will not play serious singles except DC, Jay, do you think it is time to have a RB page? I am sure there might be more people like me who might be wanting to know from time to time what points fall off when and their schedules.

Also, it is worth following SM for her great promise. Or is top 200 a qualification, before a player deserves the effort from the professor and gets his/her own page at tennis-india?

Regards,
Prasenjit
PKBasu

Qualifying for a page

Post by PKBasu »

I think we have informally agreed that the qualifying criteria is winning a round at a Slam or qualifying into a Slam draw. Or a top 150 ranking in singles. And/or top 75 or so in doubles. I would suggest that the best way to follow RB for now is the "thread" in this forum. He hasn't yet broken through even to the Challenger level on a regular basis (apart from one very creditable win over Hyung-taik Lee who -- alongwith Paradorn -- is still keeping Asia's flag flying on the pro tour, including this week at Key Biscayne).
I agree that Sania is definitely going to have a page devoted to her within two years. I would hope that RB will "qualify" sooner, in more ways than one. But he ain't there yet, unfortunately.
Prakash Amritraj, because of his doubles progress, probably stands almost as good a chance of having a page as RB does.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by jayakris »

I agree with that. Let us wait a little bit longer... Things are looking up on both of them..

No big deal really, because we have a thread page here. I will compile the point list for RB soon and post it in the thread.

Jay
Dhruv
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Dhruv »

If the demand is there, i.e. if more than 10% (currently ~8) of the users ask for it I will happy to start a subforum in the TennisIndia.org forum or sportsforums for Sania and Rohan. However, I think they need atleast crack the top 300 first.

I will leave this post and if you think/want would like something like that let me know but I need 8 votes before that is done. Also Jay's vote will count as a veto if no, and 4 votes if yes. I abstain :)
Dhruv
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Dhruv »

dhruv wrote:If the demand is there, i.e. if more than 10% (currently ~8) of the users ask for it I will happy to start a subforum in the TennisIndia.org forum or sportsforums for Sania and Rohan. However, I think they need atleast crack the top 300 first.
I will leave this post and if you think/want would like something like that let me know but I need 8 votes before that is done. Also Jay's vote will count as a veto if no, and 4 votes if yes. I abstain
Well after secong thought my previous post was not clear :)

For the TennisIndia site to give them a page(and we had this very same discussion on the old forums) we had sort of decided
PKBasu wrote:Or a top 150 ranking in singles. And/or top 75 or so in doubles
However, if there is enought interest and people want to contribute more on Rohan and Sania than anybody else then on this site we could start a specific forum for them if ....... my above post. I am not too sure they qualify right now and the 300 rank is only 1 precondition. It needs to be true for your votes to count, and then if there is enough interest (see above post again) I am sure I can fix you guys up. However you will have to furnish your own info or be dependent on others on this board to keep it upto date. :)

Hopefully, I've cleared that up. :D
Rishav

Yep!!!

Post by Rishav »

HI guys,
Yes. I think that the time has come for us to have a combined RB-SM page. I don't think that we have any more exciting players to look forward to and even LP has stopped playing Singles. They, according to me, are our main hopes. :curse:
With due respect and apologies :oops: , I think that Nirupama doesn't deserve a page now. I don't that she can crawl back to the top-300 in WTA rankings. Prof. Jay, I hope you are listening.
SaniaFan

Post by SaniaFan »

I think there was one more criteria that we decided for sania to have a page of her own. That is if she reaches the final of a junior Slam.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Oh no, I am not taking down the Nirupama page till she retires. And something tells me that she is not done. In a year I may feel differently, and she may too, but not now.

As for pages for others, let us wait till there are enough impressive things happening in the careers of RB and SM - neither has come up to the level of playing the ATP or WTA tour events or at least the challenger levels exclusively ... Some of the criteria mentioned above seem reasonable. Not that we are not impressed with what they have done; just that there isn't much of a need for a page yet.

Like I said, we should start pages to follow their point tally etc, though. I will do that soon. Another is to have a place for their schedules. I don't have direct contact with RB to know his schedule, and in general at the current level the schedules are always a bit fluid anyway.

By the way, I don't want us to feel that a web page by us (or myself) is some sort of a big honour to the players or anything. We are not really the "peers" so to say, to honour the players with the "you are worthy" tag with a page, you know! Let us not take ourselves that seriously. I am persnally too lazy to start a page and then not have enough interesting/useful things to say there.

Also, I don't want other players to start feeling that we as the fans only care for the biggest (or the most "in the news") players at any time either. Thus it makes sense to start such pages only after the players have sufficiently pulled away from the pack in other players' view as well. I don't know if RB and SM have pulled away that far yet.

Jst my thoughts..

Jay
prasen9

Agreed

Post by prasen9 »

I agree with Jay. I was not asking for full-fledged pages, but one page where their schedules and points (with dates) are there so that it is easier for optimists like me to follow their progress. If the schedules are not readily available, then maybe just a points page. A full-fledged page is only if they reach top 150-200-ish. The idea again is not to "reward" people or judge them but to really publicise their achievements only after they have significantly achieved something. I am very hopeful of Sania.

-Prasenjit
prasen9

Re: Is it time to have a RB and SM page?

Post by prasen9 »

A blast from the past. Twenty years anniversary of this. :-) So, we did have a RB and SM page. And, one guy is still going!
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

^^^ No there were no RB or SM pages at the old TennisIndia... We were going great here by then and I got lazy.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Ah, got it. Thanks. Crowdsourcing is a better idea. You were right.