Roland Garros Claycourt Run-Up Tournaments 2024

This is a forum where users can follow various tournaments that have Indian participation or are held in India. GrandSlams and Davis Cup should also be discussed here.

Moderator: Moderators

atula
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Roland Garros Claycourt Run-Up Tournaments 2024

Post by atula »

The Bottom Line is that You just have to Play & win 5-6 Matches in a Big Tournament..Instead of Playing Day in Day out for 30-40Weeks..//
Everything will come on the Way-Big Money/Big Points/Top 30 Ranking/Fame etc..//

Its so simple but so very difficult to Execute..how many have done it..from the Scratch..? & became Overnight Stars..// ;) Any Idea :-)
atula

Post by atula »

I can't tell About Rankings, but I know One Instance, where in Fame & Money was Achieved Overnight..Anyone for the guess.??.& that person was ranked outside 100 & he was an Indian..//
rajitghosh
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by rajitghosh »

atula wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:04 am I can't tell About Rankings, but I know One Instance, where in Fame & Money was Achieved Overnight..Anyone for the guess.??.& that person was ranked outside 100 & he was an Indian..//
Leander at the Olympics
Omkara

Post by Omkara »

Rare feat. Proves how difficult it is
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Atithee wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:47 am
jayakris wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:23 am I have a simple solution for Sumit. Just get to the final this week. 4 more wins, that is all. He will get to top-30, become the fourth best Indian male player ever, and will safely remain in the top-100 for at least about 57 weeks, even if he does not win a single match in that period.
This is the point I’m trying to make.
The probability of which happening is 0.0001 perhaps. Extreme flukes don't happen. Even better, if you win one of the slams, you don't have to do anything in the next year and you will have a what? top 10 ranking? Winning against several top-10 or say top-20 in a row for 3-4 matches means you yourself are top-20, top-30 at least. And, then you deserve to be there. It is actually easier to earn your points from multiple tournaments as opposed to have a fluky one tournament and sit on those gains. More people have possibly made say the top-16 in three slams say in a year than won a slam, I think, although consistently moving deep in a tournament is itself not easy.
atula

Post by atula »

rajitghosh wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:34 am
atula wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:04 am I can't tell About Rankings, but I know One Instance, where in Fame & Money was Achieved Overnight..Anyone for the guess.??.& that person was ranked outside 100 & he was an Indian..//
Leander at the Olympics
Yeah,Leander won the Bronze Medal at the 1996 Atlanta Olympics and by what I have heard & read,Lee had put up just about every bit of monetary reserves into tennis.
So much so that Leander even didn't Own a car then..the Olympic medal was probably a blessing in disguise.. Leander got about Over 3-4 Crore Rupees then through the Govt & Private Institutions Which proved beneficial in a long way.... :dance:
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Leander's parents were sportsmen but I suppose they did not make money that way. His father was a doctor too. However, at those times, their private wealth was not perhaps enough to pay for him to train and travel. He was not really poor though he may have had to skimp while traveling as a young player.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

^^^ Yeah, Dr. Vece Paes was not poor or anything, but there was only so much personal funds he could give Leander. He supported him as well as he could. LP did have some sponsors but was scraping the bottom often, to stay alive on the tour from 1991 to 1996. He also had a lot of friends and supporters (also some relatives in the US) who helped. A lot of people liked the friendly Leander those days and he had an endearing nature and charisma that made people gravitate to him. Some of them and gave help through accommodation and other things. He was a junior world #1 after all, and everybody knew that he had potential to become something special. But it was hand to mouth existence most of the time nonetheless. I believe he was making enough to have an address and an apartment in Florida by the mid 1990s, but probably didn't have an extra $15K to buy a car and leave it there. He probably had less than $20K in his bank account at any point, and that was good enough only to buy air tickets for the coming month's travels and survival. That is how it was for him. Things started changing by late 1996.
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

prasen9 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:13 pm Leander's parents were sportsmen but I suppose they did not make money that way. His father was a doctor too. However, at those times, their private wealth was not perhaps enough to pay for him to train and travel. He was not really poor though he may have had to skimp while traveling as a young player.
Indian incomes in that time period (1990s) was quite low and IIRC there were also foreign exchange controls. So relatively few Indians (even in the upper middle class) could really fund international expenses on their own without funding from the government or from sponsorships. While India still remains relatively poor on a per capita basis, the resources available to Indian athletes today to train and compete internationally are substantially more than at that time.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

If you are traveling a lot, buying and leaving a car is not a good idea. The car battery runs down, etc. So, I would not use that as a yardstick. However, the fact that he crashed at people's couches, etc. Or so he has said when he was a junior or young professional is absolutely signs that he did not have a comfortable way to make a living and play tennis.
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

rajitghosh wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:48 am I didn't realise Leander was in the top 100 only for 36 weeks. Always thought it was more.
Likewise. Perhaps because he always played like a top 100 player in Davis Cup and in national colors. He also spent a very long time in the 100-150 range (from 1994-98) for nearly 200 weeks before breaking into the top 100. Same with Sumit, he was in the 100-150 range for close to 2 years (nearly 100 weeks) prior to his injury without making the top 100. After injury, it was much shorter (3-4 months) in the 100-150 range before recently cracking the top 100.

In contrast, Prajnesh only spent about 4 months (16-17 weeks) in the 100-150 range before cracking the top 100. After falling out, he stayed in 100-150 range for a lot longer (8 months) before falling further down the ranking list.
Sanjay

Post by Sanjay »

Excited about tomorrow!!

The odds makers give Rune the edge as expected.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Over-under at 21 and Sumit +4.5... That means they expect 21 games in the match and Sumit to lose by 4.5 games. That is like a 64 64 or 75 63 type of a win for Rune... I am not into betting at all, so those of you who follow it, pls tell me if my understanding is correct. I would put money on more games than that in the match, as I expect Sumit to take at least a set off Rune.
Rajiv

Post by Rajiv »

Looking at Rune's erratic form this year plus his less Red Clay exposure, I dare to dream a straight sets win for Sumit.

A days rest was most welcome and am sure his coach must be saying the right things to him on how to go about.
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

^^^Hopefully your dream will come true in a few hours. :D

Looks like only Bautista-Agut can get ahead of Sumit this week, so he will end the week at a new career high of 80 or 81 even if he loses.