Prarthana Thombare thread

All posts regarding specific player and player fans threads are in this forum

Moderator: Moderators

prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Prarthana Thombare thread

Post by prasen9 »

Interesting name. Polous in Greek means son-of. So, grammatikopolous means son of letter writer. The word grammatik actually has Greek origins meaning the (art of) writing (of) letters. Which then crept into Latin and changed its meaning slightly, I would presume. But, the morpheme gram is in telegram (in English), i.e., letters send via "tele" means.

So the daughter of the son of the letter writer wins a tennis tournament! Anti-casteism at its best, I suppose. :-) :Offtopic:
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by jayakris »

Apparently "Thombar" means fodder for horses, and the caste/family name "Thombare" actually comes from the family having the contract for growing the fodder and selling it to Chattrapati Shivaji Maharaj and later Maratha peshwas (as I see on an obscure web page).

What are "Ms. Prayer Horsefoddermaker" and "Ms. Vigorous Letterdaughter" doing in tennis?

But congrats to Prarthana! We all forget her all the time. Mucho kudos for how she has made such a fine doubles career for herself! :notworthy:
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by jayakris »

Another doubles title for Prarthana. Seeded 2nd with Arianne Hartono (INA) as partner, she won the title at the W50 in Shenzen, CHN. They beat Ji-Hee Choi (KOR)/ Beatrice Gumulya (INA), 64 61, then Rutuja and YeXin Ma (CHN) in the R2, 63 63. The SF against the 3rd seed Chia Yi Tsao (TPE) and Wushuang Zheng (CHN) was tough, 75 46 [10-5] but the final against the 4th seeds Madeleine Brooks (GBR) and Eudice Chong (HKG) was easier - 62 63

That is back-to-back titles for her, following the W75 title at Spit (Croatia) with Valentini Grammatikopoulou (GRE) two weeks ago. 125 points from the two titles have come at the right time, as she loses some 100+ points from 3 events in the US last year from this week.