Indian Premier League (IPL)

As the other sports forums seem to have taken old to some respect, well here is a cricket forum. NOTE: This forum will be heavily moderated and can be revoked at any time is discussions go out of hand.

Moderator: Moderators

Raju Bhai
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Indian Premier League (IPL)

Post by Raju Bhai »

Riyan Parag should be in T20 WC Squad. He has Ranji, Duleep, Mustaq, Vizay Hazare, Assam leage success. Now doing good in IPL
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

Fantastic inning from Parag. Finally realizing his potential.

Probably a best innings of this IPL by an Indian batter. Except for Khalil every bowler has played T20 internationals (kuldeep, Nortje, Mukesh and Axar). With both Warner and Pant at crease could have been a great opportunity to give him couple of overs

Top indian batsman with average above 25 and SR of 180+

Abhishek 226
Naman Dhir 208
Ramandeep 205
Abhishek Porel 205
Deepak Hooda 200
Dinesh Karthik 183
Rajkumar Sharma

Post by Rajkumar Sharma »

DC should make a case for Prithvi Shaw. T20 is the only format where Shaw can succeed, he is best when the track is flat with bowl doing nothing. Bhui doesnt belongs to T20 format, he is an IPL failure. Porel needs time at present he is good against domestic bowlers. Sumit Kumar dropped after just one match.Ishant should look for Legends league. Mukesh is not an international quality bowler. Salam should be brought in. This team along with Punjab needs tough decision, as both have lots of IPL failures, mediocres over the year, before the tournament gets to the main phase.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

Wait, “I shan’t” is still being paid to play T20? Is it because of “that” one spell to Ponting eons ago? And, Ponting is making decisions for DC, right?
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

Rawat failed again today. And Karthik hit 20 off 8 balls with three sixers getting run out of last ball. one sixer of Starc.

He is the best finisher among all WKB. Will Rajkumar nightmare come true and he would get selected for WC? I think odds are very low, but lest wait and watch.

Jurel has not done badly, but Jitesh has had a disappointing campaign.
prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by prasen9 »

The top Indian performers so far (using ESPN Impact score):

Harshit Rana, Riyan Parag, Virat Kohli, Harpreet Brar, Abhishek Sharma, Bumrah, Karthik (wk), Dube, Chahar, Hooda, Samson (wk)

Rana, Bumrah, and Chahar are the pacers

Brar and Parag the spinners

Dube and Hooda the backup bowlers

Two games is too few - so things will change. Good to see Parag play a fabulous inning and to see Karthik do well too.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

^^Can we play with this team? I know this isn’t what you meant.
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

Atithee wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:57 pm ^^Can we play with this team? I know this isn’t what you meant.
Line up of Kohli, Abhishek Sharma, Samson, Parag, Dube, Hooda, Karthik, Chahar, Brar, Harshit Rana, Bumrah.

some of my favorites that i have been closely following: Abhishek, samson, parag, dube and Harshit Rana all make the team... so I would have no problem with this team from that standpoint

The biggest problem is with the fifth bowler.. Hooda, Abhishek Sharma, Parag and Dube .. None of them are regulars in IPL. can they bowl four overs among themselves? just may be. I am not totally convinced Hooda is the real deal with regards to bowling inspite of T20I record. More than that, I think batting may not have the depth. would be interesting to see what would be the team at the end of IPL.

Kohli's never accelerated today and his SR actually went down after mid-half of the innings.

By the way, Siraj has been very ordinary from WC.. I think he needs a long break. He is probably the most overworked cricketer in the team.

Top 4 teams in no particular order KKR, CSK, SRH RR .. i think MI could potentially sneak in if one of them falters. i see GT imploding this year. Their batting looks very shaky.. though their bowling is not bad.. Sudharshan does not appear to take that next step.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

We need something like this as a complete overhaul. Totally in the Holy Trinity camp here :D

And, I’m convinced that we should ask our bowlers to practice hitting blindly and open with them (reverse batting order). Only something unconventional like these steps will bring any change. Rohits and Virats are not going to cut it. Our bowlers will be taken to the cleaners, so we must load our team with BIG hitters. Everyone expected to hit over 200 strike rate—no compromises. If we lose, we lose. In T20, batters win matches. Bowlers are there to double up merely as ball machines. Fifth bowler is the least of my concerns in this format. No room for batsmen who “build or slow down” their innings.
prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by prasen9 »

Atithee wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:57 pm ^^Can we play with this team? I know this isn’t what you meant.
Ask Aggu Bhai (Agarkar) :-) I would certainly not mind this team. I do not think Hooda can sustain this.

I am irritated by the latest Kohli innings. What happens is that when his spot is challenged, i.e., when people say he is slow and does not deserve a slot in the team, then he comes with a chip on his shoulders and blasts off throughout the innings. Now he is back to his slow self again! This means mentally he thinks he has done enough to get his SR up and a ticket to WI. So, he is back to his normal self. Disappointing! Hope he shows some more hitting.
Rajkumar Sharma

Difference between run scored & ball faced should be minimum 25-30,less then this is an odi innings which is fatal in T20. Our stars are being considered because of this, they are ready to eat up balls and score 50 to be in contention, whereas sloggers doesnt get such assurance. Jitesh will start hitting from ball one where he can get success and failure, but his failure in trying to hit from ball one will be the prime reason for him getting dropped rather an innings of 50 from 30. Jaiswal has struggled in two innings, now he will follow seniors eat up balls for a 50 to make his place secured.
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

Kohli is a champion player, but the time has come for him to fully understand he needs to change his batting approach in T20s. A 20-ball 40 has much more potential to win you a game than a 50-ball 70. And since now India have so many options like Rinku Singh, Yashasvi Jaiswal, Sanju Samson and Riyan Parag at their disposal, he can be passed over for selection, unless he decides to change in the remainder of the league.
https://www.hindustantimes.com/cricket/ ... 30210.html

Hard hitting article. Makes lot of good points.. i agree with pretty much mist of the article. My biggest problem is that when he took it deep, he did not deliver. He was 39 off 24 deliveries and finished with 83 off 59 scoring just 44 runs of 35 balls. Only caveat being , look at that bengaluru side. Bhui, Patidar and Rawat, none of them have done well. RCB scouting has not been good.
Rajkumar Sharma

Shikhar Dhawan has no faith in high domestic success of
Vidhwath Kaverappa
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

Atithee wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:36 pm We need something like this as a complete overhaul. Totally in the Holy Trinity camp here :D

And, I’m convinced that we should ask our bowlers to practice hitting blindly and open with them (reverse batting order). Only something unconventional like these steps will bring any change. Rohits and Virats are not going to cut it. Our bowlers will be taken to the cleaners, so we must load our team with BIG hitters. Everyone expected to hit over 200 strike rate—no compromises. If we lose, we lose. In T20, batters win matches. Bowlers are there to double up merely as ball machines. Fifth bowler is the least of my concerns in this format. No room for batsmen who “build or slow down” their innings.
Bowlers of very high caliber can still make a difference.. but having more than one bowler who cannot bat is a liability today. Our batsman are forced to anchor, becoz there is no trust in bowlers ability to bat.

Interesting article about change in approach to hitting. India is way behind on this approach, where average is still valued over SR

https://indianexpress.com/article/sport ... d-9241952/
Rajkumar Sharma

Talents like Musheer Khan not picked. Raj Bawa left out, whereas one of the biggest IPL failure Rahul Chahar getting picked and smashed @15 an over.PBKS not learning from their mistake and have been horrible in picking players