Sumit Nagal thread

All posts regarding specific player and player fans threads are in this forum

Moderator: Moderators

prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Sumit Nagal thread

Post by prasen9 »

If you need to benchmark them, you will need to have to go back at least a year and then see. Also, their ages and stages of development matter. They are really not comparable players, imho.
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

Agree. Nardi is looking at a top 20 ceiling, while Sumit is likely looking at a top 70 ceiling just based on age progression. Nardi also has a bigger serve which will help him stay in top 100 longer than Sumit who has have peak conditioning and effort to win any match at this level.
Sanjay

Post by Sanjay »

prasen9 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:18 pm If you need to benchmark them, you will need to have to go back at least a year and then see. Also, their ages and stages of development matter. They are really not comparable players, imho.
I have no objection to what you said, but I had not heard of Nardi a year ago and only got to know about him during the India challengers when he played Sumit. That is when I looked him up and they were roughly at the same ranking. So I decided to see how they would do from then onward.

I also agree that Sumit may go to about 70 and not much better.
Suryansh_2000
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by Suryansh_2000 »

Sumit pulled out of Naples challenger
:-~
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

^^^ First of all, welcome to the forum, Suryansh!

We hear that Sumit is fine, and just wanted to take a break and get ready for the clay season a week later. It looks like that will be at the Estoril ATP 250, week after next. He is right now 5th out, but 2 SE spots and 1 LE (late entry) spots are there to clear. He might make it, but otherwise he will be a top seed in the qualies. Not a bad idea to et to Estoril fresh, and ready to win some matches which gives much more points and money than the challenger next week. I think he knows that he can fall back to challengers any time and win matches, so taking the ATP event opportunity when it is there, is not a bad idea.
DocSanjay

Post by DocSanjay »

I feel it’s a good idea to wait & play in a suitable ATP event. I am quite eager to see how he goes about on clay. I watched quite a few of his matches on hard courts. He is still not so comfortable on hard courts. I think after winning Chennai CH he has tried changing his game a bit, went for bigger serves, in the process he served double faults, approached the net more often, tried to dominate the play & finish the points a bit early. Not a bad ploy if he gets it right in due course of time. Anyway overall he has a very nice hard court season so far. Few odd losses can’t undermine it. He just needs an efficient clay season, playing to his strengths. He has to be his natural self & confident. Wishing him all the success..
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

^^^ That is a good description of how things have gone for him in the last 4 months on hard courts. Not bad.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Sumit has made the main draw entry list at the Marraketch (Morocco) ATP250 on clay, next week.
Sanjay

Post by Sanjay »

Looks like Sumit has withdrawn from Estoril?
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Sanjay, please read the post above yours. :D
Sanjay

Post by Sanjay »

sameerph wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:35 pm Sanjay, please read the post above yours. :D
:mrgreen:
I didn't realize Marraketch was the same week as Estoril.. I was looking forward to watch him play Estoril and when I checked the schedule, it said withdrawn. So looks like all he did was replace a qualie spot with an main draw spot. :D

Good luck Sumit.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Sorry, I think the place used to be spelled Marrakech or Marrakesh in English - the latter perhaps more phonetic and less ambitious. Since when did the "t" come in? I thought Jay's was a typo but then Sanjay also used that ...
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

That "t" was was a typo from me. I was also seeing that spelling Marrakech for the first time. I always thought it was Marrakesh too, but it turns out that both spellings exist. ATP uses Marrakech.
Sanjay

Post by Sanjay »

prasen9 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:54 am Sorry, I think the place used to be spelled Marrakech or Marrakesh in English - the latter perhaps more phonetic and less ambitious. Since when did the "t" come in? I thought Jay's was a typo but then Sanjay also used that ...
You are right, I probably just copied it from a post above... :oops:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marrakesh

Anyway, Sumit is playing Moutet. Rank 107.
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

Sumit is now at a career high of #95 and is playing #99 Moutet in Marrakech. Moutet just lost in the SF of the Naples clay challenger and if he had won that SF would have moved above Sumit (who would still have been at a career high of #96). So, they will continue their ranking battle in Marrakech!