Know your English

This is a place where you can enter any non-sports general topics
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Re: Know your English

Post by Kumar »

Why is a over without runs called maiden and first achievement in cricket called maiden? Seems contradictory? There is probably an explanation online, but wanted to see if some of the knowledgeable forum members know the reason?
arjun2761
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by arjun2761 »

The origins are likely not PC today but derived from maidens being virgins or untouched…
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Interesting that someone on Quora said: Hey, it's "bowl a maiden over" and not "bowl the maiden over" when someone asked what "bowl the maiden over" means in cricket :-) lol. But that makes me think: what are the origins of bowling a maiden over in life (not cricket) ... one wonders?
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

So which came first bowl the maiden over or bowl a maiden over?

Thanks, Arjun. I never thought that maiden in cricket got its origin from that perspective. I am still surprised that there is not protest against using ‘maiden’ to describe those achievements.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Nobody thinks about why we call it that. :-) The Aussies at one time talked about some of these terms being changed, and some of them like batsman, etc. have been changed. I used batter when I do not specifically want to refer to the men's game.

Cricket lexicon change called for.

Although, I do not think fine leg actually refers to a fine leg. :-) It is in the legside and when the batter gets a fine nick, the ball goes there. But, hey, if people want to enjoy a fine leg glance, who am I to prevent them? ;-)