Preparing for Prime Minister Narendra Modi

As we had often come back to discussing economic benefits/impact of sports I thought it was about time for an economic discussion forum.
aaron max
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Preparing for Prime Minister Narendra Modi

Post by aaron max »

Getting ready for the arrival of Prime Minister Narendra Modi involves meticulous planning and coordination. From security protocols to event logistics, the preparation encompasses various aspects to ensure a smooth and successful visit. The anticipation for such a significant political figure underscores the importance of attention to detail in organizing receptions, meetings, and public engagements. The collaborative efforts of the organizing team aim to create an environment conducive to productive discussions and positive diplomatic interactions during Prime Minister Modi's visit. PM kisan status
prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by prasen9 »

Ok. :-)
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

He is talking of literally preparing for Visit of Prime minister Modi somewhere while this thread is about something else. :D

On a serious note, does anyone think that anything else than Prime Minister Modi for third term is possible in next year's elections ? As of now, any other possibility looks remote.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Nobody has built a movement. You need to do that to become a PM.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

prasen9 wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 12:14 pm Nobody has built a movement. You need to do that to become a PM.
Well, Rahul Gandhi had that Bharat Jodo yatra which can be called a movement but does not seem to have made an impact.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Not some stupid movement. You need to figure out what people want. Rile them up. Make them angry. Etc.
srini

Post by srini »

sameerph wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 12:00 pm He is talking of literally preparing for Visit of Prime minister Modi somewhere while this thread is about something else. :D

On a serious note, does anyone think that anything else than Prime Minister Modi for third term is possible in next year's elections ? As of now, any other possibility looks remote.
It may look like Modi's 3rd term is a settled thing...but NDA under Vajpayee was also expected to win in 2004 and Sonia's Congress came to power....and Congress absolutely did nothing (no movement or anything!) at that time to come to power and even less so to return to power in 2009. So anything can happen in Indian politics. There is lot of vacuum left in the opposition on who can be leading them in the runup to elections hence a lot of infighting can be expected in INDI alliance. If they can properly sort out seat sharing and not have any friendly contests anywhere in the country, then why not! Modi and Co may have hard time and have to repeat Balakot or similar misadventure to return to power.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

Astounding theory. I’m speechless.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Atithee wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 4:30 pm Astounding theory. I’m speechless.
Why do you say that?
srini

Post by srini »

Atithee wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 4:30 pm Astounding theory. I’m speechless.
:-) I may be a Modi basher but i secretly hope he wins the election atleast one more time so that no individuals planted by Chinese communist party like Raghuram Rajan make it to any policy influencing positions.2004 to 2014 was a lost decade in manufacuring for India just because MM singh silently allowed trade deals that allowed various kinds of Chinese junk products and toys that were rejected by other nations to be dumped in India. I remember those days from 2012 how those fidget spinners became an obsession with kids and adults likewise.While MM Singh silently killed the indian manufacturing Rajan was more vocal openly declaring India should focus more on services than on manufacturing...that statement literally hit the last nail on the coffin for manufacturing. It was commonsense that services couldn't support the jobs as only a minor proportion of working population had the skills to move into services and large chunk of work force was blue collar that depended on factory jobs.So UPA government's policies increased joblessness for large part of workforce.The work and sincere efforts of Modi government need appreciation that tried some course correction very early during its tenure in 2015 albeit for India it was already very late in the game. We can count only on BJP until some one capable in Congress usurps the power from the Gandhi family.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

srini wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 1:39 pm It may look like Modi's 3rd term is a settled thing...but NDA under Vajpayee was also expected to win in 2004 and Sonia's Congress came to power....and Congress absolutely did nothing (no movement or anything!) at that time to come to power and even less so to return to power in 2009. So anything can happen in Indian politics. There is lot of vacuum left in the opposition on who can be leading them in the runup to elections hence a lot of infighting can be expected in INDI alliance. If they can properly sort out seat sharing and not have any friendly contests anywhere in the country, then why not! Modi and Co may have hard time and have to repeat Balakot or similar misadventure to return to power.
If the opposition can unite, they can win. However, the opposition has a bunch of idiots who cannot sort out seat sharing. And, yes, Modi will resort to engaging the religious fanatics using some us vs them strategy but I think if the opposition unites, they can still carry the day. But, the opposition is a bunch of nincompoops and cannot win.

The people were angry at that time and I think that generation still venerated the Gandhi family. Now, they don't. So, using that to win is not going to happen. Congress is also not a true national party now. A lot of smaller parties will win the seats in the states. It is difficult to get so many players on to the same boat and steer them in the same direction.
srini

Post by srini »

Yesterday there was a remarkable judgement delivered by supreme court that the current electoral bond system implemented by Modi government from 2017 is unconstitutional. Leaving aside the merits or demerits of such judgment in fixing the corruption, the judgment itself was ground breaking because it instills some sense of belief in the courts as it comprehensively overruled this electoral bond system from which the ruling BJP was getting a lion's share of funds. I was always under the impression that courts in this country will just say 'Yes' to the politicians at helm and glad to be proven that it may not be entirely so.

Now coming to the nuances of this electoral bond system - this was supposedly a measure to bring in more transparency in the electoral funding which was operated majorly in cash until 2017. But instead of bringing transparency it has created more opaqueness in the system, how so? Any entity or corporate which wants to fund any political party can do so by funding it through the bonds provided by SBI and the details of such funding will be kept secret (oddly) to public though SBI will be aware of who funded whom and how much. The reason given by government about the logic behind such secrecy was that Corporates were always funding political parties but they were splitting those big amounts into smaller chunks and routed through individuals to remain anonymous and avoid public scrutiny. Government says the scheme would not have worked if such an assurance of anonymity is not given to the corporates. I think that may well be true.

I think democracy is inherently a corruption prone political system because electioneering needs funds and who ever funds the political parties will ultimately have some expectation on ROI from the government which is why the terms like crony capitalism came in the 1st place. So one can only try to patch, repair this faulty system but can never perfect it unless the system is replaced by another novel idea that suits the times we are in!

Now we have to see what the government plans to do, because Supreme court also directed SBI to publish the full details of who funded whom to Election commission who in turn were asked to make it public by March 13th.I suspect government may still block the judgement by some ordinance to avoid public scrutiny just before general election.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Yeah, let us see where this goes. I agree with the Supreme Court, and what you said Srini, that it gave some sense of a "yeah, we do have a supreme court that is not always too soft to the Government" feeling. The opposition to BJP is filled with IDIOTS who cannot stop pissing off a majority of the Indian electorate, which means any political checks on Modi/BJP is a pipe dream. So we needed something out there to provide some checks on the Government (even when I agree with BJP and Modi on most things). Not having transparency in corporate funds was clearly unacceptable. This was a big boost for democratic principles.