aggy and t-sips... US and other college rivalry posts

This is a place where you can enter any non-sports general topics
Sanjay

Re: aggy and t-sips... US and other college rivalry posts

Post by Sanjay »

Kumar wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 8:40 pm
jayakris wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 6:52 pm ^^^ Thread started. There may be other posts from the past in some threads that can be moved here.

I wish we had strong inter-college rivalries and fanfare in India, like in the US. If any of you have things to post from India or elsewhere, spewing hatred on your rival colleges, post away! (all in good fun)
Rivalries among Indian colleges are local. Did IIt not have intra IIT meet. I guess it is very expensive for kids to travel across the country.

US is probably the only country where college rivalries get media attention because of college sports broadcast.
You are right. We had the local SJCE vs NIE rivalry in Mysore. But that was no match compared to the ones in the US.
rajitghosh
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by rajitghosh »

By the way Agri Engineers in IIT KGP are called ghasis. So it is pretty close to aggy in TAMU.
And inter-IIT can be as boisterous as an INDIA-pakistan match.
And at least in Calcutta schools the rivalry between St.Xavier's and La Martiniere is pretty intense. By the way Naresh Kumar and Premjit Lall were both Xaverians and Jaidip Mukerjea and Leander Paes were Martinians.
Of course a certain Sourav Ganguly was part of the Xavier's football team and their opening bowler in cricket. He was never a great batsman as he would keep getting run out as he could not judge singles. His bowling got him a call into the MRF Pace Foundation but like his good friend Sachin he got rejected. It is a different matter he would go on to open the bowling for India in test cricket with Srinath.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by jayakris »

This is not really on college rivalries as such, but I wanted to post the link to this volleyball game somewhere, so let me use this thread on college sport.

If you are a volleyball fan, see this match for the US college women's national championship today, that #5 ranked University of Texas Longhorns won over the #1 University of Nebraska Cornhuskers, 25-22, 25-14, 25-11. Nebraska was 33-1 for the year, and Texas who despite being the reigning national champions had lost some players from last year, had started the year poorly 5-3, and started peaking only late in the season. But they won the championship again, upsetting the #2, #3 and the #1 seeds in the national QF,SF, and F. A amazing run, but what they did in today's game (below) looked almost not humanly possible!

A video from YouTube usually appears here. Please contact an administrator.
A video from YouTube usually appears here. Please contact an administrator.

I am posting it for everybody to see the kind of excitement that college sports creates. The game was being played in Tampa, Florida, that is 1600 and 2400 km away from the two university campuses. But there were 20K fans in the stands wearing burnt orange or red jerseys of the universities!!

The Texas ladies' show after being down in the second set at 25-22, 7-10, is probably the most dominating women's volleyball that I have ever seen. Incredible stuff, to go 43-15 on points against the national #1 team. The 4 service aces by Asija O'neal that started the domination itself is worth seeing.

This Nebraska team, by the way, had set the spectator record for any women's sports event in the world with 93K people attending a volleyball game outdoors this year. It is hard to believe that they got that many people to watch a women's volleyball game in the generally rural state of Nebraska. They were that good, so what Texas did to them was mindboggling.

More than all that, I wanted all of you to see what kind of fantastic coverage ABC sports had for the game. The number of camera angles and the production job of switching cameras and the timely replays were just a pleasure to watch. For an incredibly fast game like volleyball, one needs that. All of it for a ame between two college teams! Just hear the announcers and how much of well-researched info they had on the game. The excitement they created was incredible. One would learn so much about the game just watching even one broadcast like this. When will we see this kind of sports coverage for any sport event in India?

[See the point at 1:32.10 and the jump smash by Madisen Skinner that they showed from a camera angle dead center from the roof! That lady jumps some 10 feet in the air to smash one like that in the first set too. Just amazing volleyball. Watch it!]