Chirag-Satwiksairaj

Moderator: Moderators

Saffron Lenin
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Chirag-Satwiksairaj

Post by Saffron Lenin »

srini wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 2:52 am Some wonderful suggestions there. In Tennis doubles is for "Also Rans" and largely ignored by Tennis strong nations so Indian fans had to pitch in with a name. But in badminton, there may be many fans for SatChi in other countries. So i expect fans would likely settle with an English name rather than a Sanskrit or another Indic language name. Lets 1st hope they win some laurels like World championships and Olympics...an apt sounding name can follow suit.
Very slave like mentality...It doesnt matter what other nations think of us!!! Medals and world ranking are proof.....
srini

Post by srini »

rajitghosh wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 4:07 am I think Indian badminton players have maximum fans in Indonesia. Prakash and Saina are household names there. This is what I have observed in my visits here. They have a strong rivalry with the Chinese and anybody who does well against the Chinese becomes popular there. Indonesia's language is highly Sanskritized. So an Indian name would work just fine. Ironically SatChi's biggest rivalry now is with the Indonesians.
True. Indonesian airlines name is "Garuda". Biju Patnaik who ran a courageous mission of by flying a Dakota plane to Indonesia to rescue its PM when Dutch were controlling its airspace in 1948 was awarded the title "Bhoomi Putra", a name that is Indic. So yes Indic names are familiar to Indonesia..but there are other badminton power houses like China, Denmark which won't be as familiar with the Indic name meanings.
Saffron Lenin
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by Saffron Lenin »

BWF World ranking | Satwiksairaj Rankireddy and Chirag Shetty become world No. 1
The duo became the first Indian doubles pair to achieve the coveted world number one ranking following their gold medal-winning feat at the Asian Games in Hangzhou.

https://www.thehindu.com/sport/other-sp ... 403530.ece