Leander Paes thread...

All posts regarding specific player and player fans threads are in this forum

Moderator: Moderators

rajitghosh
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Leander Paes thread...

Post by rajitghosh »

Omkara wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 3:21 am Does he deserve it? Or is the cutoff so low?
WHy do you think he doesn't deserve. Not many people have beaten both Pete Sampras and Roger Federer in singles and never lost to them. This is aside from his doubles and Olympics/ Davis Cup achievements.
Omkara
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by Omkara »

His results are amazing for us.... not the world. Singles and doubles out together. Singles is rather ordinary. Vijay truly deserves to be there. I am surprised he hasn't yet.
rajitghosh

Post by rajitghosh »

Vijay has also been nominated this time. Maybe the category is different.
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

Omkara wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 3:32 am His results are amazing for us.... not the world. Singles and doubles out together. Singles is rather ordinary. Vijay truly deserves to be there. I am surprised he hasn't yet.
Vijay does not meet the minimum criteria to be nominated which is on their website. For singles, it is 3 slams and certain number of weeks at #1 in the world or 5 slams. For doubles, it is 12 slams and certain number of weeks at #1 or 15 slams or something like that.
rajitghosh

Post by rajitghosh »

https://www.moneycontrol.com/news/trend ... 30401.html

Check out this post for Vijay's nomination. Incidentally 2 of the other nominees have played doubles with Leander- Cara Black and Daniel Nestor.
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

To be clear, Vijay is nominated in the "Contributor" category for journalists, commentators and the like. The others you mention are in the Players category (for playing achievements), so hopefully Vijay and LP can both get in their respective categories.

Here is the link to the eligibility criteria for the Players category:
https://www.tennisfame.com/hall-of-fame ... ng-process

Checked that LP had 8 MensD and 10 MxD titles, so he got in under the criteria of having more than 15 slams. He was WR#1 for only 39 weeks, so wouldn't have qualified under the first prong.

Just for kicks, MB has 4 MensD and 8 MxD titles but only 4 weeks as WR#1, so he wouldn't qualify for consideration under the automatic eligibility criteria.
S_K_S

Post by S_K_S »

Vee

Post by Vee »

This is awesome! And, well deserved! Thanks for sharing.
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

So he gets an additional 3% towards his HOF vote. Will be interesting to see if he makes it to HOF
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Leander Paes keeps getting better at golf. I see him often on the course when I am in Kolkata (approximately once a month). Last week, he won the monthly Silver Salver tournament at Tollygunge Club with the best gross score. (He didn't win the net score award, which was won by a 15-handicap golfer; Leander had the lowest handicap, 2, among those on the leaderboard). Leander is a natural sportsman!
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

Padding their handicap is a thing for many that compete in the net score events!
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

I do not follow golf except at the Asian Games, etc. Who decides those handicaps? On what?
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

^^^I don't know how they maintain handicaps in India or in the US post-Covid. Even though I play regularly, i don't record my scores for handicap purposes these days as that would prevent me from taking certain liberties with my lie (i.e., use of the foot wedge) or the local rules that I rather enjoy. In any case, I never had a single digit handicap :D

Otherwise, in the US, handicaps calculated using USGA rules using a computer system in which you have to enter your scores after every round (either in a terminal in the club house of most courses) or on the web (and these days using an app). So, it is very much based on the honor system. Once you enter your score and course played, it updates your handicap as it generally has the details of the course you played (typically the course rating). It was a relatively simple system as it only scored you relative to the course rating (which is what a scratch golfer would score on a course). Nowadays, I believe they also factor in the slope rating (which is relative measure of how a mid-level golfer would play the course relative to a scratch golfer with a 113 being the average; a higher score meaning it is more difficult for the average golfer).

I believe the new USGA system is better because the course rating often didn't capture how easy or hard a course was for an average golfer. For example, a 330 yard hole with a 200 yard water carry is an easy hole for a scratch golfer as they can easily drive 250 yards and then hit a wedge in. On the other hand, a 20 handicapper is quite likely to hit the ball into the water even if they have the length (but not the consistency) to carry the water.