ODI World Cup, 2023

As the other sports forums seem to have taken old to some respect, well here is a cricket forum. NOTE: This forum will be heavily moderated and can be revoked at any time is discussions go out of hand.

Moderator: Moderators

prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: ODI World Cup, 2023

Post by prasen9 »

Why? Because he performs once in a blue moon? We must applaud his effort today and I am extremely happy for him. But, he needs to produce more consistently. His record is his record. I did not bowl badly (wrt taking wickets, he gave away 37 runs/wicket, which is poor). There is nothing to eat on that. Each and every word I said about his past is based on his work and is justified by his poor record in ODIs bowling-wise with respect to getting the batters out. Just getting 3 wickets in 8 overs does not remove the awful record over 100s of overs. I stand by my criticism while applauding that he finally turned up to work with the ball today. Excellent performance. He needs way many of these in order to clean up the years of bad performance in ODIs. He brings his average down to 36.5 runs/wicket now. Still a poor or mediocre record at best.

In some sense though, because of rule changes, using two balls, field restrictions, etc. finger spinners are not that effective in ODIs. Ashwin is slightly better at 33 runs/wicket. We need a couple of good wrist spinners. We have only one. And, because our pacers cannot bat, we need two wrist-spinning allrounders ideally. Unfortunately, the team has not encouraged such players. So, we are back to these failed finger spinners. Hope we get spinning wickets in order to succeed but I doubt we will get spinning wickets in the semis and finals.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Why exactly is Rahul keeping when Ishan is in the team? This is not the time to give Rahul experience keeping. Weird decision.

Rohit bowls Siraj one over less in the end and Hardik one more. Why? Assuming Aussies do not get all out.
Rajkumar Sharma
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by Rajkumar Sharma »

As expected Billateral idiots showing their true colours
rajitghosh
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by rajitghosh »

The batsmen playing like our recurve archers.
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

Just a total lackof planning or thinking by Rahul Dravid :damn:
Send Jadeja when there were two wickets down and protect shreyas Iyer until ball is little bit older. Would have been even great time to send Jadeja even at 1 down. He is a stodgy player who could have protected our fragile batting line up
Or even send someone like Siraj or Bumrah to just throw his bat. When they lose more one more wicket, if they don’t send jAdeja, that will be stupid.

Would h all consider having Ashwin open in next game as Ishan kishen is clearly not suited to open
kaustav

Post by kaustav »

rajitghosh wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 1:18 pm The batsmen playing like our recurve archers.
:p :p Dada they won a Silver abd a Bronze better than last time
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

KL Rahul and Kohli saved India the blushes. This batting line up was one dismissal from getting bundled out for less than 100. Our biggest worry with batting are our openers . Dale Steyn just few days warned Rohit Sharma about watching his pads. We should have selected some one like Jaiswal. Sky is a luxury that we cannot afford.

https://sports.ndtv.com/icc-cricket-wor ... up-4440134
Just after taking the name of Shaheen, Steyn warned the India batter, saying."Rohit Sharma, watch your pads!"
Unlike Prasen, I will not drop Jadeja as we don’t have replacement and we are playing in india.. and there is always a belief that Jadeja will turn things around. but I agree with him that Jadeja has been very ordinary in one day format so far. Any other player with his stats would have been let go already.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Given the XV, I will not drop Jadeja. I am saying he is sub-par in ODIs that is all. There is no replacement in the current team. If Axar was fit, I would be fine with a shootout between the two. But, right now, he stays I suppose. So, all the luck to him to deliver a WC to us.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Kumar wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 1:30 pm Just a total lackof planning or thinking by Rahul Dravid :damn:
Send Jadeja when there were two wickets down and protect shreyas Iyer until ball is little bit older. Would have been even great time to send Jadeja even at 1 down. He is a stodgy player who could have protected our fragile batting line up
Or even send someone like Siraj or Bumrah to just throw his bat. When they lose more one more wicket, if they don’t send jAdeja, that will be stupid.

Would h all consider having Ashwin open in next game as Ishan kishen is clearly not suited to open
Lack of planning, yes. But, I would not have sent any of these. This was a test match. We had no run rate pressure. We needed to bat out the first 10-15 overs. I would have sent Rohit and Rahul out to bat. Of course, the issue is that Rahul had kept wickets. So, maybe Kishan was fine. But, i would rather keep with Ishan and open with Rahul if the opposition gets out cheaply. When we are batting first or when the runrate is more than 5 required, I would push Rahul to the MO.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Rajkumar Sharma wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 1:15 pm As expected Billateral idiots showing their true colours
Yes, they did. A fantastic win against Australia. Now, the bilateral discards, who played much worse than the idiots in the bilaterals drove their team to last place in the IPL, are nowhere near the team and that is great (well with one exception: SkAY). I am happy to take this team even if it loses in the semis as opposed to the retards and discards, who would have driven us to last place like they have done in the IPL. Of course, I would have done things differently in the leadup and maybe chosen a few other people than this team. But, I am happy the selectors did not select the last-place leaders in the team and bilateral discards. Okay, except SkAY I suppose.

I hope and wish SkAY gets full pay without play in the WC.
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

I am actually not in favor of KL open. Has 915 runs in 23 innings with Sr of around 80 as opener and. 1385 in 32 innings as 4-5 and SR of 90. Also all his past failures in big matches are as opener. I am not a fan of putting guys in position where they are not comfortable and then blame them for failure

KL and Shreyas appear to be much better playing when the ball is older and aginst spinners . jadeja appears to be providing zero value at his current slot as batsman. This was perfect slot for him as this is more of a test match situation where his slow playing would not have affected india.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Well, KL has been a slightly below average test player but Kishan or Jadeja have zero experience opening in tests. I am not a fan of KL opening either in general but we make exceptions when we are chasing 200.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Asinine stuff from Ishan and Shreyas no doubt, and a predictable end for Rohit to a known weakness.

But Rahul and Kohli saved our blushes with a brilliant partnership. Kohli's let-off at 12 really took a lot of pressure off.

I cannot understand how people can still be complaining about Jadeja after his spectacular bowling effort today. Bowling out Australia for 199 is a massive bowling achievement, and Jadeja made it happen with the vital wickets of Smith and Labuschagne (plus Carey). Had Rohit taken a couple of catches (one each off Jadeja and Kuldeep) the target would have been even lower. (Jadeja is an allrounder, starting with what he adds in the field; his bowling is very good in ODIs too -- economical almost always, decisive occasionally like today -- and his batting can often be invaluable, when called upon). I would never drop Jadeja from any of the 3 formats, although his T20I batting is particularly poor.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

I was at the Kotla for the 754 run fest. It was splendid viewing! I will be back there for the India-Afghanistan match.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

PKBasu wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 6:52 pm I cannot understand how people can still be complaining about Jadeja after his spectacular bowling effort today.
So, we should be ignoring his years of failure and just consider one match? Do we use this yardstick of you are only as good as your last match to evaluate say Rohit too? I have complained about his not having won us anything except in 3-4 matches over 7-8 years with the bat. The complaints over his bowling and Ashwin's are valid. They are possibly because of rule changes. But, whatever it is, a 36.5 runs/wicket is very poor. One can still be complaining if they look at the whole picture and not ignore 100s of overs of poor bowling and look only at the last 10 overs. It is very simple.
Bowling out Australia for 199 is a massive bowling achievement, and Jadeja made it happen with the vital wickets of Smith and Labuschagne (plus Carey). Had Rohit taken a couple of catches (one each off Jadeja and Kuldeep) the target would have been even lower. (Jadeja is an allrounder, starting with what he adds in the field; his bowling is very good in ODIs too -- economical almost always, decisive occasionally like today -- and his batting can often be invaluable, when called upon). I would never drop Jadeja from any of the 3 formats, although his T20I batting is particularly poor.
Unfortunately, his batting can often be invaluable, but when called upon in the past, he has failed time and again. Please let us know how many matches Jadeja has won with his batting in his career in ODIs only (and you can normalize that with the number of chances he got).