19th Asian Games Hangzhou 2023

All other sports such as squash, badminton,volleyball, atheletics etc which are not covered by any other forum heading can be entered in this forum

Moderator: Moderators

Sin Hombre
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: 19th Asian Games Hangzhou 2023

Post by Sin Hombre »

rajitghosh wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 2:18 am Which one does the forum think was India's best achievement in these games? I'll go with SatChis win closely followed by the 1-2 in javelin.
SatChi win, followed by all of the latter - the almost gold in team badminton (with HSP injured), javelin 1-2, Simra's performance in the 50m 3p both qualification and finals World record, sweep in compound archery.
srini

Post by srini »

ankit1407 wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 3:58 am
srini wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 3:33 am Tried to summarize the performance compared to 2018 games. Please feel free to add /update comments about progress or regress.

Code: Select all

Medals by sport
Sport	      Gold   Silver   Bronze	Total
 Shooting	7	9	6	22	(Progress)
 Athletics	6	14	9	29	(Progress only in total medals not in Gold)
 Archery	5	2	2	9 (newly added Compound gave clean sweep of 5 Gold in that.1 Silver and 1 bronze minor progress in recurve over2B from 2018)
 Squash		2	1	2	5   (Progress no Gold in last edition)
 Tennis		1	1	0	2   (Almost on par)
 Equestrian	1	0	1	2   (Progress)
 Cricket	1	0	0	1   (We haven't participated in 2018)
 Field Hockey	1	0	0	1   (Progress in Men's, Regress in Women's. Ind defeated China 1-0 in 2018 Semis but lost 0-4 in Semis now)
 Rowing		0	2	3	5   (Progress in Total medals but Regress in Golds)
 Boxing		0	1	4	5   (Mens totally regressed 1 G in 2018 by Amit Panghal but just 1 B now. Womens 1 S, 3 B this time over none from 2018)
 Sailing	0	1	2	3    (On Par)
 Badminton	0	1	1	2  (Progress 1 medal in MD yet to be confirmed for color)
 Bridge		0	1	0	1
 Golf		0	1	0	1
 Wushu		0	1	0	1
 Wrestling	0	0	5	5 (events not finished yet but Regression due to federation mess, we are probably on par if we can pull up socks even now.)
 Roller sports	0	0	2	2
 Canoeing	0	0	1	1
 Sepak takraw	0	0	1	1
 Table tennis	0	0	1	1
 Kabaddi	1	0	0	1
Total		25	35	40	100

Medals by sport
Sport	Gold	Silver	Bronze	Total
 Archery	0	2	0	2
 Athletics	8	9	3	20
 Badminton	0	1	1	2
 Boxing		1	0	1	2
 Bridge		1	0	2	3
 Equestrian	0	2	0	2
 Field hockey	0	1	1	2
 Kabaddi	0	1	1	2
 Kurash		0	1	1	2
 Tennis		1	0	2	3
 Rowing		1	0	2	3
 Sailing	0	1	2	3
 Sepak takraw	0	0	1	1
 Shooting	2	4	3	9
 Squash		0	1	4	5
 Table tennis	0	0	2	2
 Wrestling	2	0	1	3
 Wushu		0	0	4	4
Total		16	23	31	70
Thank you for doing this - any possibility to have this side by side ? Sorry not to increase work but have been thinking
of doing it myself at some point
Hey Sorry Ankit, missed your response as i was intensely following the matches. Actually putting side by side was my 1st thought too, but would have caused a horizontal scroll bar instead of a vertical one now. So went with one below another.
srini

Post by srini »

^^ More analysis from above table
India has improved in over all medal tally, but concerning thing is it may have regressed at Olympic level in the sports (other than shooting) that we usually get medals.

I think ONLY golds at Asian games matter to even expect a bronze or better at Olympic level.

In Mens boxing regression may have started from 2012 from when we stopped getting medals. There is some hope for Womens boxing medals as it has shown improvement in medals and olympic qualifiers too.

In wrestling not getting Gold medal here is an indication we may not get bronze also at Olympics.

Same with Athletics (reduced from 8 to 6 gold) where we can expect far better competition from European and African athletes.

We missed a trick by not trying out juniors in FIH Pro league, but we should definitely do that when our matches resume in Feb'2024. I would remove Womens hockey out of any medal prospects for Paris unless something changes drastically.

It was disappointing we didn't send a team for break dancing in Asian games by considering rankings which came into being very recently and calculated manually making lot of assumptions. We should be sending teams in ALL olympics sports irrespective of ranking to give exposure.

Equally disappointing that we sent only 2 women participants in weightlifting and no men! Not sure if Jeremy Lalrinnuga has some conflicts with the federation, he seems to have been shunted out of qualifiers for Paris. India can ill afford such mess in the very few sports where we had Olympic medals before.

So instead of adding medals in any new Olympic sports, we just managed to increase medals in the same sports that we were usually good at. Not a bad thing but to really expect any improvement at Paris medal count we should have some sports that can serve as backup to the target sports like crapshoot shooting and archery that we never seem to perfect at olympic level.
Ayush1234567

Post by Ayush1234567 »

rajitghosh wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 2:18 am Which one does the forum think was India's best achievement in these games? I'll go with SatChis win closely followed by the 1-2 in javelin.
Tt women's double bronze , then Satchi win.

I also liked the performance of Manav Thakkar and Manush Shah in TT Mens Doubles.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

What I liked is that we didn’t have too many chokes. We made it count when it mattered almost everywhere. That was most pleasing to me. The heartbreaks of the past were buried this time.
rajitghosh

Post by rajitghosh »

Actually it may be a good idea to have a list of medals lost due to chokes/ bad form/ injuries/ wrong selection. Few that come to mind are:
Aditi choked, Yuki was out of form, Prannoy injured, Harmeet Desai not selected for TT, Pragg not selected individual chess event, no Lakshya in individual event, Diksha Dagar not selected, even KKT injured probably affected our chances in tennis. Sindhu's bad form was known. Bajrang was unprepared. I assume there were a few chokes on shooting especially Manu. I think there was a similar choke from Aishwarya Tomar. And of course we had the comedy of our recurve archers missing the target completely.
Sravanthi
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by Sravanthi »

For me the highlights were Parul's 5k (the last 50m dash and the the interview later where she mentioned DSP post as the motivation behind it :cool:)
Satwik and Chirag's dominance in semi and final (apart from winning it they never looked like they were in a spot of bother in the two matches)
Javelin dominance and the camaraderie between the two (the way Neeraj stood for Kishore and Kishore's answer in post match conference on his lead) and in general (Tejaswin encouraging Parul inbetween his event, Ancy Sojan encouraging the more fancied Shaili, Ojas bowing to his mentor Abhishek after beating him in compound archery individual final... I am ignoring the social media post by our heptathalete)
Bad officiating not deterring performance of athletes (incident with Jyothi, Neeraj first throw)
Dominance in sports that we were expected to do well. where we have been used to being disappointed after expecting a win (except tennis)
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

srini wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 3:54 am ^^ More analysis from above table
India has improved in over all medal tally, but concerning thing is it may have regressed at Olympic level in the sports (other than shooting) that we usually get medals.
So, we talk about events which are there at olympics our medal tally would be-

12 golds - 6 in Athletics, 2 in Shooting, 1 in Eqastarian, Tennis, Badminton, Hockey

26 Silvers- 14 in athletics , 4 in shooting, 2 in Rowing, 1 in sailing,tennis,boxing, golf, archery, wrestling.

30 Bronzes- 9 in athletics, 5 in wrestling, 4 in shooting and boxing, 3 in rowing, , 2 in sailing, 1 in equestrian, archery and canoeing

Total of 68 medals.

Against that last time we had 14 golds,19 silvers and 18 bronzes from last time a total of 51 medals.

So, there is improvement of 33% in medals in olympic sports too although golds have gone down by 2 mainly due 2 lesser golds in athletics, no golds in wrestling and boxing this time ( 2 and 1 last time).
rajitghosh

Post by rajitghosh »

This was the last Asian Games for many. Sharat Kamal, Bops, Sourav Ghosal and Joshna Chinappa would not be around next time. At the time of the last Asiad I would not have expected that Saina would not be there. By the time of the next Asiad I expect even Sindhu and Srikanth to be gone. Prannoy is ageing as well. So next Asiad we would depend on the likes of Lakshya Sen, Anahat Singh and so on. Similarly Ashwini Ponappa would be gone. Last time we would not have expected that Rani Rampal would not be there this time. Maybe India missed a trick not taking her. Sreejesh and Savita Punia would most likely be gone as would be discus thrower Krishna Poonia. Some more hockey stars may also be gone. Maybe if Sania had not retired she would have been around this time. Hats off to all of them for their contribution to Indian sport.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

I think the Chess men's team was the biggest upset where we lost a gold. Along with the men's tennis doubles. Any other top ranked individuals or teams of ours upset? Hockey women's?

I am not talking of a conditional upset. Aditi overperformed altogether. However, the last day she choked. Talking of overall performance.

I read Rajit's post above. What do others think? Biggest dissapointments?
indiansportsfan

Post by indiansportsfan »

Nikhat's loss in the SF was pretty disappointing, after she won gold in the world championships. Lovlina's result was a bit disappointing as well. Between these 2, you expected at least 1 gold.

The triple jumpers disappointed as well I think. I expected a gold in men's 1500 as well (maybe irrationally).

Women's hockey was another big one.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Were any of these ranked #1 in their field among Asians going in to the games and then failed to deliver? I think the Chess men's, women's hockey (maybe?) and men's tennis doubles were the only #1s who failed.
indiansportsfan

Post by indiansportsfan »

Women's hockey was definitely #1. Boxing doesn't have reliable rankings, but what more proof of #1 is needed other than winning the world championships.
For triple jumpers and 1500, will need to check the season's top list.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Agree that both Nikhat and Lovlina's losses were huge disappointments and arguably winning the WC could be counted as ranked #1.
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

Looking at this list, none of them are big disappointments. Perhaps, Aditi losing it after having a huge lead but note that she was far from the favorite going in with 2 top 10 Chinese in the field. Likewise, in hockey, while we were #7, there were 3 other teams at 10-12 including China in their home conditions. I believe our boxers also lost to opponents that were pretty good. Men’s Dubs also Rohan and Yuki aren’t a regular pair so perhaps not that big of a surprise.