19th Asian Games Hangzhou 2023

All other sports such as squash, badminton,volleyball, atheletics etc which are not covered by any other forum heading can be entered in this forum

Moderator: Moderators

rajitghosh
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: 19th Asian Games Hangzhou 2023

Post by rajitghosh »

You didn't count any further golds in squash?
arjun2761
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by arjun2761 »

^^^^maybe women’s 4x400 and men’s LJ.
Dinakaran

Post by Dinakaran »

sameerph wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 3:42 pm So, with Asian games now at halfway stage, we are at 10 golds and total of 38 medals just ahead of Uzbekistan who too have 10 golds and just 1 medal below us at 37 medals.

A lot on depends on how we do in athletics as to where we will end up- if we somehow get upto 8 gold level that we had at last Asian games- we can go close to 30 golds - with likely golds in Cricket (1) , Hockey (2), Kabaddi (2), Chess (1), Golf (1), Archery ( 2), Bridge (1), Boxing (1). Did I miss any ? But, I think we will not win that many in athletics this time and we may end up with about 25 golds which should be also be great and good enough for 4th place.

For total medals, " Abki bar sau bar " looks a little tough, need 62 more from now on.
Squash mixed
Can make boxing 2
Wrestling
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

Well you guys are forgetting that we are in the lead in equestrian eventing individual right now and have at least a 50% chance of converting this to a gold tomorrow.

All of these 100 medals, 30 golds will depend on these kind of sports and how many medals we can get there. 2 gold vs 2 lesser medals in chess, or how many medals in kurash etc
Dinakaran

Post by Dinakaran »

Confirmed medal /medal colour to be decided important events for tomm

1. Mens shotput
2. Mens long jump
3. Mens 3000 steeplechase ( none of other athletes are close to Avinash SB of 8.11. Closest is Japanese 8.20)
4. Mens 1500m
5. Womens 100m hurdles
6. Men's team Badminton
7. Golf women individual and team

We are still holding 4th place by virtue of more silver, need to increase gold to hold the position. 4th place finish should be our target than 100 medals
Dinakaran

Post by Dinakaran »

Omkara wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 2:15 pm Does economic development and improvement in sports go hand in hand?
I disagree on economics driving the sports. If that is the case, poor nations should continuously decline in medals, but still no competition for East Africa in long distance, caribbeans in short distance, Iran in wrestling and North Korea in weightlifting.
Except of china, rich countries sports win are not showing any big difference in Olympics and international events. Germany drew blank in recently concluded world championship and France won only 1 medal in relay.

I believe it is more of traditional sports and sports culture which brings difference.
Omkara
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by Omkara »

Tradition and culture are critical I agree. But it gets limited to few sports.
East Africa in long distance, caribbeans in short distance, Iran in wrestling and North Korea in weightlifting.
To be a champion across categories, you need money.
Maybe it isn't the only requirement. I found France and Germany have population to support such activities.

If India can invest, then it can get players from it's 1.4 bn population, who will exceed.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

ankit1407 wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 3:50 pm Are we sure about this Bridge Gold ? Saw the latest ranking and men’s team seems to be second .. I must confess I know nothing about the game / format…
I also don't know anything about. I read some saying on twitter that it is confirmed gold in mens team. Maybe they have fallen to second now. Lets see.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

rajitghosh wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 4:03 pm You didn't count any further golds in squash?
Yes, possibility in mens singles (Saurav) and mixed doubles, I think. Hope we get 1 out of those 2.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Sin Hombre wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 4:17 pm Well you guys are forgetting that we are in the lead in equestrian eventing individual right now and have at least a 50% chance of converting this to a gold tomorrow.
I think that is a 3 day event and must be ending on Monday, not sure about it though.
Dinakaran

Post by Dinakaran »

When was the last time China didn't not swept all gold medals offered in TT? Be it Olympics or WC or Asian games? What India did today is historic achievement in breaking China's domination in this sport,.that too in their home.i believe this can be nominated for our best performance in entire TT history or even for best asiad result.

Another honourable mention is mens doubles QF, who almost pulled out magic with Korea before being carried over from 7-3 lead in final set to lose the match eventually
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Dinakaran wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 4:19 pm Confirmed medal /medal colour to be decided important events for tomm

1. Mens shotput
2. Mens long jump
3. Mens 3000 steeplechase ( none of other athletes are close to Avinash SB of 8.11. Closest is Japanese 8.20)
4. Mens 1500m
5. Womens 100m hurdles
6. Men's team Badminton
7. Golf women individual and team
Mens and Womens trap- Medals should be certain in team events , individuals not sure.
Womens 1500M medal is possible, even 2 - Deeksha and Harmilan have first and third season bests.

Other key matches- Hockey womens team vs Korea, Equestrian cross country, Boxing - Nikhat SF against Thailand, Parveen and Jasmine in QF .
Archery qualification start.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

Omkara wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 2:15 pm Does economic development and improvement in sports go hand in hand?
I have been saying this for years in this forum. It’s especially true for India.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

Sin Hombre wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 3:14 pm What nonsense is this? They lost by 228 runs at the Asia cup to us just a few weeks back.

Our team is filled with chokers and Rohit and Kohli will make inane decisions when we get to the knockouts, but no one is big favourites against us. We are ranked #1 and playing at home.
Agree. Pakistan is the new West Indies in my opinion. There’s no way they are favorites.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

arjun2761 wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 3:46 pm I don’t think any of the top LPGA players are playing for Korea. They seem to have their younger players here who may be playing in their KLPGA. Same with Japan and Thailand.
I also believe this is the case. There’s no way at least our team will lead a “regular” Korean team. I doubt if Aditi will be atop the leaderboard, although I wouldn’t put it past her. Ankita and Aditi (as Sin Hombre) said, are my favorite players too. I’d add Smriti Mandhana to that in cricket, but she has really disappointed me over the past year or so now.