Moderator: Moderators

sameerph
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: P. V. Sindhu thread - Rio Olympics Silver medal winner

Post by sameerph »

Yes, crucial phase this for her. She has fallen to #17 in the world. I think she still can play better than that and be at least in top 10 in world and make a serious bid next year for India's first 3 time individual medalist at olympics . Looks tough but lets us see.
srini

Re: P. V. Sindhu thread - Rio Olympics Silver medal winner

Post by srini »

Omkara wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 1:56 am Post split with Gopi, both Saina's career went down. Maybe it coincided with her age. Same with Sindhu. Sindhu did well under the Korean coach. But I have read Indian players have big egos. So gelling with the coach is critical
That's not correct. Actually after 2012 Olympics bronze under Gopi tutelage, from 2014 she chose to train with Vimal Kumar, and went up in ranking up to Number 1, the 1st non Chinese to do so after Danish player Tine Baun. She achieved 2 world championship medals 1 silver and 1 bronze in the period she trained with Vimal and it is considered her Golden years.

I personally think it would help working with different coaches in any sport, more so in badminton where opponents quickly read a player once they make it to top. Adding new weapons like deception etc can be done by working with coaches from Indonesia, Malaysia. So both our women players did that and benefitted. I wish our male badminton players also did so, but they mostly stagnated under one coach. Sai Praneeth, Kidambi etc had really good skills but once Mulyo Handoyo who used to coach at Gopi's academy left, their down turn started. At that level i think both coach and player should realize its not about ego but about development and progression of player and be supportive to make transition to another coach instead of making any melodrama in front of media.