Moderator: Moderators

jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: TennisIndia Daily updates

Post by jayakris »

Omkara wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 10:15 am But will Jay start writing daily notes again.
I doubt it... Maybe when I retire? (no plans to do that soon) :) ... Probably not needed these days with all the scores and news available around. I would need to get connected to a lot of players to do a good job at that. ITD has a network that does the job now, so it is better for all of us to do opinion items right here in the forum.
Omkara
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by Omkara »

Agreed. It was the need of those times.

Wondering why pkb chose this thread to update that news...
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by jayakris »

Haha, I was also wondering why PKB went and found this thread!!
Omkara

Post by Omkara »

jayakris wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 10:29 am Haha, I was also wondering why PKB went and found this thread!!
Yup bigger question
VReddy

Post by VReddy »

Do you still have the notes saved somewhere, Jay? They can be such a useful resource over time from historical perspective.

Perhaps TennisIndia.org can be revived and made into an Indian Tennis Archives division catering to

- TennisIndia.org notes from Jaykris
- Central repository of all the photos / Tapes that exist at the homes of our 3 Davis Cup final members and further. Reach out to them, have it digitised and preserve the history
- ITD gets ton of photos every week but they are not preserved in a structured manner. We could create a section under TennisIndia.org archives section, a Photos database where these photos can be preserved and tagged, similar to http://www.j48tennis.net/

Sorry just random thoughts but somehow I feel, the history needs to be preserved and our superstars from the 60-80s are only getting older every year - hope somehow the rich history is preserved with artifacts.
Omkara

Post by Omkara »

I am writing here as we all started with the daily notes. Yesterday when I refreshed my uread messages in the forum, I could hardly see any tennis related discussions. There were a few, but a minority.

Hence from a moslty tennis discussion forum with some discussion on other sports including cricket, we have moved to a more detailed discussion across all sports.

There is a good side to it. And a very frustrating side to it, given we thought we can make a change. In tennis.
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

Our tennis, especially our singles players, are at quite a low so enthusiasm isn’t as high as all we have to follow are players at the lowest levels of the pro tour. Sumit and Ankita are in the top 200 but they are relatively low ceiling players, so our next big prospects are in their teens. Even there the one I am following most closely is NRI Nishesh Basavareddy who has made to back to back challenger QFs as an 18 year old but may decide that he has far better prospects by using his Stanford degree.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

I involuntarily restarted this thread, because it was a great central place to summarize the day's developments in Indian tennis. I was surprised that it had been dormant for 15 years :D

Nishesh Basavareddy (NRI at Stanford) made a QF and then a final (singles) in Challengers in successive weeks, reviving hopes for Indian (albeit NRI) tennis. He is only 18 years old, so this is exciting, although he is extremely injury prone, and has very good academic prospects, so how devoted he will remain to tennis is somewhat doubtful.

We still do have a bunch of doubles players (6 in the top-100 in men's doubles, 12 or 13 in the top-200). Singles is down to Ankita and Sumit in the top-200, and injury-prone Karman about to drop out of the top-300 after going inside 250 a few months ago.