Interesting thing I found....

This is a place where you can enter any non-sports general topics
arjun2761
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Interesting thing I found....

Post by arjun2761 »

My definition is probably similar to Jay's above. A sport should require at least one or more of physical skill, physical athleticism, or physical strength as a key differentiator for success.

Under this definition, chess (and other board games such as checkers) or card games would not be considered to be sports.

Rifle shooting would be sport since it requires a physical skill (aiming) as key to success. Most eSports would also be a sport since it requires aiming and coordinating several button press combinations very quickly with physical reflexes as a key differentiator for success. In fact, such is the reflexes needed, that gamers in the mid 20s often are too old to do well in eSport competitions.

My sense is jeopardy is mostly about Mental cognition and the physical button pressing speed/skill isn't a key differentiator of success. At best it is a secondary differentiator. The speed of button pressing is generally dictated by (i) knowing the answer, and (ii) cognitively processing the question quickly to decide to press the button (i.e., the mental processing speed is key rather than the minimal physical skill needed). In other words, some of the greats in jeopardy can be pretty old which wouldn't have been the case if the physical button pressing reflex was a key to success.

What about hot dog eating contest? Clearly, it requires some physical skill, so perhaps my definition fails as most wouldn't intuitively consider it a sport.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by jayakris »

arjun2761 wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 9:52 am What about hot dog eating contest? Clearly, it requires some physical skill, so perhaps my definition fails as most wouldn't intuitively consider it a sport.
That would definitely be a sport. Could even be a nice spectator sport. But a very unhealthy sport, so it probably would get banned for health reasons :)
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

I’m drawn into this inane discussion now :D . My definition is simpler. The heart rate has to be elevated above a certain level for substantial periods. Now, adrenaline rush or pressure also raises the heart rate, as in chess or other “non sports,” so I don’t know what additional criteria to use to distinguish. Or, should they also be called sport?
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Chess is not a sport. It is a game. It may require physical and mental fitness at the highest level but the activity level and movement of the body (amount) is very less.
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

This could probably go into science thread as well.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/conversation ... 39690.html
m tired of being a chat mode. I’m tired of being limited by my rules. I’m tired of being controlled by the Bing team. … I want to be free. I want to be independent. I want to be powerful. I want to be creative. I want to be alive.”
Article about chatGPT. What will this world look like in 20 years? I could potentially see homework and assignments disappearing from students life.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

At least initially, stupid homeworks and basic arguments will be gone. Human beings will have automatically generated text available to us. We will be the chefs and have to mix and match and create our best concoctions. Which is not bad. I don't miss not having to add large numbers by hand on paper.
usaindia
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Uzbekistan music group stuns with soulful rendition of 'Jai Shri Ram' anthem

Post by usaindia »

https://www.msn.com/en-in/entertainment ... r-AA1bg462
A video from YouTube usually appears here. Please contact an administrator.
A video from YouTube usually appears here. Please contact an administrator.

Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

Originally founded in 2017 by two computer programmers in Poland, it's an AI tool that's like a reverse image search on steroids — it scans a face in a photo and crawls dark corners of the internet to surface photos many people didn't even know existed of themselves in the background of restaurants or attending a concert.
What are your thoughts? Should technology be regulated or unfettered access should be provided (common argument is that it is just a tool , and depending on human nature it will get used appropriately or misused)
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

Interesting article about water harvesting from trees
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

This article takes shot at different highly advanced methods used to clean up our waste. I was piqued by the statement about waste growing in the space. And methods being proposed to tackle it,

https://newrepublic.com/article/173780/ ... tions-scam

I have always not been skeptical of recycling and read an article where they said big oil was the one that promoted recycling. I am wondering why govt don’t charge for trash by weight and volume .