2022 FIFA World Cup - Qatar

General Discussion on Indian Football.

Moderator: Moderators

arjun2761
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: 2022 FIFA World Cup - Qatar

Post by arjun2761 »

The initial odds are completely even. I think France has the better team but it is hard to bet against Messi in his current form.
srini

Post by srini »

From 2022 to 2026 cup there is a big jump of 16 new nations included to play where as all prior inclusions have been in multiples of 8.
From 16 to 24 in 1982 cup, and then to current 32 in 1998. So just wanted to see what new nations will be included from AFC...it seems it will be mostly few more Arab nations that will make the cut with an outside chance for China.(assuming rankings hold in the AFC qualification cup that is!)

FIFA ranking | AFC ranking | Nation

20 | 1 | IR Iran
24 | 2 | Japan
28 | 3 | Korea Republic
38 | 4 | Australia
50 | 5 | Qatar
51 | 6 | Saudi Arabia
68 | 7 | Iraq
70 | 8 | United Arab Emirates
75 | 9 | Oman
77 | 10 | Uzbekistan
79 | 11 | China
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Atithee wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 12:00 am Even though I predicted France will win, I love Argentina’s team. It’d be great if they could win it all.
What was truly Maradona-esque was the second goal, a solo effort from before the halfway line by Alvarez. In fact, Alvarez created the penalty that Messi converted as well. Messi has 5 goals in this World Cup, but 3 of them were off penalty kicks. That is an inordinately large number for one team to receive, and that has naturally set the tongues wagging ("you may as well give the cup to Argentina" etc.). The penalty against Croatia was a ludicrous decision by the referee, and changed the momentum of the match dramatically. At a minimum, he should have asked for a VAR referral: goalie Levakovic clashed with Alvarez primarily because the latter had lobbed the ball over the goalie (and had no real way of reaching the lobbed ball); that the goalie was given a yellow card AND punished with a penalty was even more ludicrous.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

srini wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 4:05 am From 2022 to 2026 cup there is a big jump of 16 new nations included to play where as all prior inclusions have been in multiples of 8.
From 16 to 24 in 1982 cup, and then to current 32 in 1998. So just wanted to see what new nations will be included from AFC...it seems it will be mostly few more Arab nations that will make the cut with an outside chance for China.(assuming rankings hold in the AFC qualification cup that is!)

FIFA ranking | AFC ranking | Nation

20 | 1 | IR Iran
24 | 2 | Japan
28 | 3 | Korea Republic
38 | 4 | Australia
50 | 5 | Qatar
51 | 6 | Saudi Arabia
68 | 7 | Iraq
70 | 8 | United Arab Emirates
75 | 9 | Oman
77 | 10 | Uzbekistan
79 | 11 | China
For the next World Cup, we should recruit the 4 best players of Indian origin in any league in the world, and build the nucleus of the side around them. Get them into the ISL first (not after they are past their prime, as Michael Chopra was when he joined the Kerala Blasters).
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

Agree with looking for NRI talent if we can find it to help us in our 2026 campaign.
Looking at a random list on the internet, it looks like these guys would add something although unlikely to make us Asia top 5. But they may help us get into Asia top 10 and in contention for 2026 WC

https://khelnow.com/football/indian-foo ... o-can-play

BTW, I did not look at it closely but outside of "special" goalie rules, but in real time, the Argentina-Croatia penalty is a clear penalty in most leagues. if a defender (or tackler) goes out to play and misses the ball and gets the offensive player in the follow-through when the offensive player (who plays the ball) then continues on towards the ball, that is always a clear foul and penalty if in the box (which was the case here). Now if the goalie had played the ball and then got tangled up, it would have been a foul on the opposing player. In this case, he was late, and such egregious contact after being late to the ball is always a foul.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by jayakris »

^^^ Yeah, that foul and penalty will get called 9 out of 10 times, and it is so damn unfair to the defender (or goalie)... But that is the transition in football. Have to take it as unfortunate and move on. In fact the commentators in the FOX feed in the US were immediately saying that there isn't a doubt that the ref would call the penalty... Tough break for Croatia.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

So far, France hasn’t even showed up. It’s all Argentina.
Rajiv

Post by Rajiv »

^^^, Yes totally uninspired the French

And if the first goal was dubious ( WHERE WAS VAR) the 2nd goal brilliance wiped put that duplicity,

De Maria with the same looks as the legend Ossie Ardiles, providing the same inspiration and play making skill like Ardiles, just has been electric on the left flank.
Rajiv

Post by Rajiv »

62 minutes gone and reminds me of that another worst Final in 98 when the French wiped out Brazil 3 nil
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

Tide has completely reversed. Refereeing seems strange here for non calls.
Rajiv

Post by Rajiv »

Argentina paying the price for being complacent and defensive.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

So happy for Argentina to win.
Rajiv

Post by Rajiv »

Argies lost to Saudi Arabia and then go on to win the World Cup.. Just Insane stuff...
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

Congrats to Argentina who were the better team for most of the final. It became a super exciting game in the end of the regular time and the extra time once France came to play. Arguably the best World Cup final of all time!
SaniaFan

Post by SaniaFan »

Yes, Best final that I have seen. Good that Argentina could get one for Messi and also as a team they played better than France overall. My best player for Argentina on the day was DiMaria.

I am highly impressed with Mbappe. His performance level in the matches that matter is unmatched. I always thought Maradona and Pele were notch above any one else I have seen. Mbappe seems to be the one that may match to their standards in my book when he is done.

BTW I thought this was not in very good taste. Is there any history to this?
https://indianexpress.com/article/sport ... n-8331986/