Asia-Australia ATP Challengers 2022

This is a forum where users can follow various tournaments that have Indian participation or are held in India. GrandSlams and Davis Cup should also be discussed here.

Moderator: Moderators

arjun2761
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Asia-Australia ATP Challengers 2022

Post by arjun2761 »

I don't know how much value there is being in India #1 given how poor his ranking is although I suppose it plays a part in Davis Cup or Asian Games selection. Otherwise, it is getting to the point of not being noteworthy much as most people don't care about who is Pakistan #1 or Bangladesh #1.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by jayakris »

Yes, that is the sad part of it. If you are not even in the top-250, what is the point in talking about being the India #1?
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

At Yokkaichi,

[R1] (1) Arjun Kadhe (IND)/ Ramkumar Ramanathan (IND) l. Toshihide Matsui (IND)/ Kaito Uesugi (IND), 57 57

Basically when it matters at the end of the set these guys can't get the job done. Like I said, RamK is not going to get anywhere in doubles either till he gets rid of his mental demons and gets back his game which is really inn shambles. He should take a break, examine what exactly is going wrong, get advice from the right experts, stop blaming the world around him, and get down to doing some work to fix his game. If he is not willing to do that, it is better to stop playing and embarrassing himself. It hurts and depresses me to say it about a player on whom I had so much hopes and expectations.

Looks like they had rain today, and moved things indoors. They only did doubles matches today and all singles are postponed. So Mukund's R2 will be tomorrow (Thursday)
Rajiv

Post by Rajiv »

Same old story for the Top seeded pairing of Ram/Arjun as they get knocked out in straight sets to their Japanese opponents 57 57 (May be in a hurry to rush back home for the IPL type jamboree where they will be accorded royalty like status)

In the end quite a disappointing and embarrassing showing from this pair who were the Top seed’s in all the 4 Japanese Challengers , but still couldn’t justify their top billing and could muster up only 1 each R1 win’s in 2 out the 4 tournaments they played.
Rajiv

Post by Rajiv »

jayakris wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:30 am At Yokkaichi,
Like I said, RamK is not going to get anywhere in doubles either till he gets rid of his mental demons and gets back his game which is really inn shambles. He should take a break, examine what exactly is going wrong, get advice from the right experts, stop blaming the world around him, and get down to doing some work to fix his game. If he is not willing to do that, it is better to stop playing and embarrassing himself. It hurts and depresses me to say it about a player on whom I had so much hopes and expectations.
And the irony is , that inspite these bad results in both the formats he has earned the highest ever prize money ever in 2022 in comparison to the rest of years when he began his caeer..
But approximately over 80% have been from those Grand slams qualies , and some at 250/500 and next year this tap will also dry up with the new rankings in place.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Mukund's R2 match against Yunseong Chung is on. Stream link

I turn it on, and Mumund is doing a second serve at deuce in the first game. A double fault for AD out BP. Moves up and simply muffs a routuine volley winner which was there, at the net. Standard start for all our players. WTF is wrong? I am just mad these days. Anyway, I will continue watching. Hope he gets back into it. But the way all our players are playing these days, may be I should just call it a loss already and stop watching like ssp does in hockey. 0-2.

I continued to watch. Nothing changes. Chung is playing very well, and Mukund is being eaten up. Lost the first set 1-6. He is not able to serve well, and his court movement has always been somewhat sub-par though not terrible. Chung just toys with him, wrong-footing him (the footwork issue I mentioned above) and finding easy open spaces to hit winners at his will.

Missed a regulation volley again at the net at 30-40 and broken early in the second game. 0-2. Even luck isn't with him, like at 40-0 on Chung serve, when he was perfectly positioned for a volley winner but Chung gets a netchord for the second time in the match to help him. 0-3... But luck isn't a factor when you can't play two points in a row without making an error. Seriously. I don't think there has been 2 points in a row played right by Mukund so far. 1-4
Rajiv

Post by Rajiv »

Just too depressing to watch this match..

Now I am eagerly waiting for the IPL tournament, where our players have reserved their best form of this year ;).
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Yes. Depressing. Even more depressing seeing the exasperated screams from Mukund after the mistakes. He just can't get the shots to fall. really sad to see that.

Mukund is trying his best and not giving up though, but like I said he cannot avoid mistakes every 2 points (it got better to every 3 points) now. 2-5

Holds to 3-5. and then the weirdest thing happens. Chung decided not to give Mukund a chance to make a mistake. He went and double faulted FOUR times to get broken. How about that. Suddenly 4-5 and on serve, with Mukund to serve.

But Mukund wasn't going to let Chung beat him at making mistakes that easily. He had to do his level best to one-up Chung and succeeded. Mukund went and made THREE shot errors in a row from 15-15 on his service game. Game set and match, Chung. The agony mercifully ends for me.

[R2] Mukund Sasikumar (IND,353) l. Yunseong Chung (KOR,361), 16 46
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Rajiv wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 2:27 am Now I am eagerly waiting for the IPL tournament, where our players have reserved their best form of this year ;).
Pathetic. They should all be spending the next 5 weeks on a practice and physical work-out regimen, blocking out everything else. Everybody has their tennis in complete shambles. Sumit, RamK, and Mukund particularly. Maybe not that bad with Prajnesh, but he also has things to work on.

None of their wrists are able to stick volleys the way they want (again, except maybe PG). None of them is moving well on court. None except PG can hit a lob to save their lives. I have lost count the number of times the ball didn't fall where they wanted, on mostly correct lob decisions by these guys. Like 9 times out of 10. Mukund and RamK seem to have no confidence in their movement abilities either. They give up on many balls that they can probably get to, making the decision-making easier for the opponent on where to hit a winner.

Maybe most of them are nursing injuries and aches/pains that we don't know of, but that is even more reason to not be doing the IPL tamasha and be taking your tennis seriously to take a break now and work on things.

They can all do so much better, but do they have the drive to do what is needed? Hope they show that they still have the fire and drive. Maybe the frustrations that all 4 of them have shown on court recently is an indication that they still have the fire inside and want to do better. I can only hope.
Rajiv

Post by Rajiv »

jayakris wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 2:54 am
Rajiv wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 2:27 am Now I am eagerly waiting for the IPL tournament, where our players have reserved their best form of this year ;).
Pathetic. They should all be spending the next 5 weeks on a practice and physical work-out regimen, blocking out everything else. Everybody has their tennis in complete shambles.
Precisely Jay.. until few years ago December was solely dedicated for off season training and many a times the players on their own formed a small group for a strenuous back breaking sessions lasting 4 hrs each split into 2 session, but all this players getting together is now history and now it is about $$$
vparam

Post by vparam »

It’s safe to say we will not have an Indian male tennis player play any of the grand slam qualifying tournament in 2023. Can’t remember the last time that has happened. No way do I see any of these guys get back in the top 250 next year. Our junior program is pathetic so there is no hope with any of our youngsters at the moment. What a sad time to be an Indian tennis fan!
Rajiv

Post by Rajiv »

jayakris wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 2:54 am
Everybody has their tennis in complete shambles. Sumit, RamK, and Mukund particularly. Maybe not that bad with Prajnesh, but he also has things to work on.
And here in lies the problem , as each of them is down in the dumps and they know, no one will be singled out and they can carry on with their rubbish without the fear of being singled out, and will escape the blame , unlike the past when fear use to grip the players mind when they came up with shambolic performance which have seen being panned out consistently throughout this year with no motivation or competition to spur them on.