Hockey at Commonwealth Games, Birmingham, July 28- August 8, 2022

A forum to discuss Indian hockey and the disarray it is in despite the promising new professional PHL series.

Moderator: Moderators

jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Hockey at Commonwealth Games, Birmingham, July 28- August 8, 2022

Post by jayakris »

ornatebrute wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:05 pm Janekke, very accomplished multi-Olympic and World Cup medalist herself, was part of the Tokyo team as analytical coach for India. So probably didn't take too long for her to take the head coach role and was already gelled well with players. That's why she got the Celebratory Body Tossing from her girls today.
Yes, she was very much there in the thick of things at Tokyo, but being the chief coach is a different thing... and Marijne was really good and liked by the players... So I still wanted some evidence that all would be fine after Janneke took over.
suresh
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by suresh »

It was great to see Janneke crying after the win! Marijne continues to follow our women actively as can be seen on twitter.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

I was also a bit apprehensive about this coach particularly after not so impressive performance at world cup, I am still not fully convinced but good that at least they have got a medal here.

I think this team has a lot of talented players- Navneet Kaur, Salima Tete, Neha Goyal, Vandana Katariya, GK Savita are all very good. They need to something about finishing - both penalty corners and field goals. Only if they had that they would have won so many more matches at world cup last month and also won here more easily. Maybe Rani Rampal coming back will change that. We need her in the team.
srini

Post by srini »

I wish India didn’t reach the mens final and avoided this thrashing
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

0-7 is a horrible thrashing. I am surprised that congratulations are nonetheless pouring in for the silver in men's hockey. Frankly, not getting to the final here would have been an absolute disgrace. We finished equal with England in our pool, but scraped to the top ranking on the basis of a better goal difference. Australia won the SF against England 3-2. Then they absolutely shellacked us in the final. What the hell happens to our players against Australia??
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

Didn’t we lose by the same or similar margin to Australia at Montreal Olympics?
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

Atithee wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:38 pm Didn’t we lose by the same or similar margin to Australia at Montreal Olympics?
I also recall us losing 0-8 in the CWG final in New Delhi as well with our prime minister in attendance. So, the Aussies have our number or we have a mental barrier playing against them....
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

I think we have had big losses to Australia on quite a few occasions. In last year's Tokoyo olmpics too, we had a 1-7 loss against Australia at group stage.

Lost 0-8 to Australian in 2010 Delhi Commonwealth games too.

There may be few more.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

^^^ This is why I had given up on our doing anything in the final. Didn't even expect us to look decent. Because we never do, against Australia. We lose, and we lose badly. The listless Delhi commonwealth loss and many others were coming to mind. So I expected at least a 4 goal loss. It is 46 years since Montreal and we can't end the losses to them, even if we have ended the continued bad losses against many others lately. But if it is Australia, we still play like nothing has changed since 1976.
Saffron Lenin

Post by Saffron Lenin »

The main thing lacking in india hockey is lack of physical play.....We need Bull like players to combat teams like australia. Pawan Rajbhar will be good addition to the team
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

Our bigger players tend to slower footed, so not sure that we can play too many such players. Faster and more skillful players is the way to go for us.
ssp

Post by ssp »

Expected a loss, but was hoping for us to fight harder and keep the margin down to 3-4 goals.

We seem to have no answer against the Aussies, yet I watched England give them a really tough fight in the semi. The only way to match the Aussies is to deny them space in midfield (like England did), so perhaps a full court press whenever possible would have worked better. We defend too deep and invite pressure. The Aussies' speed, skill and movement then creates huge gaps and we get these terrible thrashings.

Changing a few of the players will help a bit, but we need a big change mentally. Our teams need to believe that they can get a result, rather than fold pathetically like this.

Over all, well played in most matches. We still pick up too many cards (some of these are due to the umpiring bias), and give away cheap PCs. Varun Kumar had a poor tournament. Akashdeep was absolutely awful (missed 3-4 goals v RSA alone). Mandeep scored a beauty v RSA but was his usual self-missed quite a few chances and lots attacks broke down due to his trapping or passing 'ability'.

Based on the number of chances we are creating, I honestly feel replacing these 2 would allow us to score 1-2 more goals in most matches. Wouldn't over turn results v Australia, but that RSA semi final would have been a much more comfortable win. There was a comical 2 min spell in the match v Canada, when Mandeep missed from 3m and then got in the way of a team mate denied him a shot at an open goal.