Commonwealth Games, 2022

All other sports such as squash, badminton,volleyball, atheletics etc which are not covered by any other forum heading can be entered in this forum

Moderator: Moderators

Orang
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Commonwealth Games, 2022

Post by Orang »

BTW -- 8.20 - 8.40m generally medals in the Olympics. Both our long jumpers are just 23 yrs old, and Sreeshankar already has a career best of 8.36m.

In 2012, even 8.16m was a Silver at the Olympics:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athletics ... jump#Final
ornatebrute
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by ornatebrute »

Long jumps are measured from the forward edge of the take-off board to the impression in the landing pit closest to the take-off board made by any part of the body of the jumper.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Did everybody miss the Gold we got in para powerlifting? Sudhir got the gold in Men's heavyweight! Our 6th gold. :dance:
6 Gold, 7 silver, 7 bronze for 20 total so far.
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

How long was the disqualified jump?
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

Tomorrow (5th) is the big day for us at this CWG.

4 wrestling golds where we should have some hopes. Again, done no research on form and competition.

Jyothi Yarraji (she of the very fluid hurdling motion) starts in 100m hurdles. It is a world-class field and I would love if she can break 13s here.

Hima Das in the women's 200m. She is still running similar times to 2018 so unless she has improved and can go back under 23s, this will be curtains for her.

Boxing continued to go on expected lines. With Lovlina losing in a split decision to one of the piddly island's minions as did 2 other of our boxers.

Overall - split decision record 1-3. 0-3 against the UK and 1-0 against NZ.
Orang
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by Orang »

Sin Hombre wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:06 am How long was the disqualified jump?
They did not measure, but his reaction and the commentary seemed to imply that it would have been over 8m (i.e. a better tiebreaking second best jump in comparison the winner's 7.98). Considering how close Sreeshankar was to a perfect takeoff point in that jump, he got a couple inches advantage right off the bat (if it had been legal).
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

At least after his fiasco in Tokyo olympics after raised expectations after big jumps in domestic meeets, I am happy that Sreeshankar is showing decent progress in international meets. He had a 7.96/8 M at world championships and now 8.06/8.08 M at CWG.

Bronze at Tokyo olympics went at 8.20, bronze at recent world championships went at 8.16. So, anything above 8.15 can fetch a medal at next olympics. If he continues this progress over next 1 year, he should be one of our better medal hopefuls when we prepare lists for Paris 2024.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Sin Hombre wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:25 am Tomorrow (5th) is the big day for us at this CWG.

4 wrestling golds where we should have some hopes. Again, done no research on form and competition.
6 wrestling weights starts today. Bajrang should win gold easily, Deepak Punia should easily make the final where he is likely to meet defending champion from Pakistan or an English wrestler who is decent. I would give 70% chance for gold here for Deepak. Not sure about Mohit in 125 kgs. I think a Canadian or a Pakistani will be better than him.

in Womens wrestling, Anshu faces a tough field with a very good wrestler from Cameron ( Tokyo QF) likely in SF and then 2 times defending champion Odunayo in final. Would give 50% chance for Anshu for gold. Divya Kakran is likely to meet olympics runner up from Nigeria in QF itself. So, chances of gold are low. Sakshi Malik has a decent chance, no great wrestlers in her field, but not sure what kind of form she is coming into this.

I would be ok with 3 golds today- Bajrang, Deepak and one of Anshu/Sakshi/Divya. 4 would be great.
pancakesdonuts

Post by pancakesdonuts »

sameerph wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:25 am
Sin Hombre wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:25 am Tomorrow (5th) is the big day for us at this CWG.

6 wrestling weights starts today. Bajrang should win gold easily, Deepak Punia should easily make the final where he is likely to meet defending champion from Pakistan or an English wrestler who is decent. I would give 70% chance for gold here for Deepak. Not sure about Mohit in 125 kgs. I think a Canadian or a Pakistani will be better than him.

in Womens wrestling, Anshu faces a tough field with a very good wrestler from Cameron ( Tokyo QF) likely in SF and then 2 times defending champion Odunayo in final. Would give 50% chance for Anshu for gold. Divya Kakran is likely to meet olympics runner up from Nigeria in QF itself. So, chances of gold are low. Sakshi Malik has a decent chance, no great wrestlers in her field, but not sure what kind of form she is coming into this.

I would be ok with 3 golds today- Bajrang, Deepak and one of Anshu/Sakshi/Divya. 4 would be great.
you forgot Ravi Kumar. He is the favorite.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

I was talking about today's bouts. Ravi Kumar is not on schedule today.

Sin Hombre wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:25 am
Jyothi Yarraji (she of the very fluid hurdling motion) starts in 100m hurdles. It is a world-class field and I would love if she can break 13s here.
Jyoti clocked 13.18 sec to finish 4th and will not make the final , not close to her NR of 13.04 sec. She is quite far from world standards yet. She can get a medal of course at next year's Asian games with this timing but will probably have to go below 13s for gold there too.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

sameerph wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:25 am

5 out of our 6 wrestlers are thru to SF. Only one who lost in QF was Divya Kakran who lost Olympic silver medalist from Nigeria in QF.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

sameerph wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:50 pm 5 out of our 6 wrestlers are thru to SF. Only one who lost in QF was Divya Kakran who lost Olympic silver medalist from Nigeria in QF.
Hope that at least 3 will be in the finals and at least 2 Golds will come through...
srini

Post by srini »

I already see Deepak,Bajrang,Sakshi and Anshu are in Finals from CWG updates
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Yes, all 4 of those are in final. Mohit and Divya Kakran will fight for bronze.

The only gold I am sure of is Bajrang who is up against a Canadian. Deepak Punia was a bit cagey in his SF win against Canadian (3-1). He will be up against defending champ from Pak.
Both Anshu and Sakshi Malik have been tearing thru their bouts. Anshu has a very tough one against Nigerian Odunayo.
Sakshi against a Canadian looks an easier bout.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

First final done - 21 year ild Anshu lost against 2 times champion Odunayo from Nigeria 4-6. Anshu left it too late to attack, experience counts. Silver for Anshu.