The 1983 World Cup

As the other sports forums seem to have taken old to some respect, well here is a cricket forum. NOTE: This forum will be heavily moderated and can be revoked at any time is discussions go out of hand.

Moderator: Moderators

Omkara
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: The 1983 World Cup

Post by Omkara »

Yes. Things are changing. I am sure there will be another one soon. These days lot of the tournaments take place in Vashi. I hope it's not too far for you.
rajitghosh
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by rajitghosh »

Watched the movie today finally. Truly a goosebumps movie. Not sure why it flopped. The only thing I can think of is that with today with India winning a large number of matches it is difficult for the current generation to relate to a bunch of no-hopers winning the world cup. On a side note it was nice to see Jimmy himself playing Lala Amarnath.
Omkara

Post by Omkara »

The guy who played Sandeep Patil was his son
rajitghosh

Post by rajitghosh »

Yes and the guy who played Madan Lal had played for India at the under 19 level and had been coached by Madan Lal.
rajitghosh

Post by rajitghosh »

Also Gordon Greenidge's son played him, Malcom Marshall's son played him, Shivnaraine Chanderpaul's son played Larry Gomes and Clive Lloyd's son played Joel Garner.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Loved the movie. Watched it twice, once alone and once with my wife (when I was very sleepy after a long day at work). The second time, I nodded off a few times despite myself, but was wide awake by the time the semifinal and final were happening. Just an utterly splendid movie.

Feel sorry for 'Simran', the fiancee who ditched Balwinder Sandhu because his house/income were too small. The beautiful pep talk Kapil gave him as he went out to bat in the final sounded authentic. I always remember that Sandhu made a 50-plus on test debut and another 50 in one of the tests in the Windies that followed, so he really was a decent allrounder. We won in 1983 because the side was filled with allrounders (Patil, a decent first-class bowler, hardly bowled at all in the World Cup because there were so many other allrounders to fill in). My wife (having met him) was struck by the fact that Gavaskar had almost no role. True: he was in exactly the sort of form-slump that Kohli is in now. But he was India's lucky talisman: India lost the 2 matches he didn't play (against West Indies and Australia) but won all the matches he played in (even if his own batting contributions were minimal) :) .
Last edited by PKBasu on Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

rajitghosh wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:42 am Also Gordon Greenidge's son played him, Malcom Marshall's son played him, Shivnaraine Chanderpaul's son played Larry Gomes and Clive Lloyd's son played Joel Garner.
Didn't realise this. What a nice touch! One of Chanderpaul's sons is an excellent first-class cricketer. I wonder if it was him who played Larry Gomes.
rajitghosh

Post by rajitghosh »

Also Viv Richards was played by a first class cricketer Jacques Taylor. And his ex-girlfirend played Kapil's mother.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Yes, I did notice that the mother of Viv Richards' daughter Masaba played Kapil Dev's mother. That was a nice touch too.
SaniaFan

Post by SaniaFan »

She is a very good actor with many awards. That she is some way related to Viv is incidental.
rajitghosh

Post by rajitghosh »

We were doing a quiz and trying to identify the number of actors in the 83 movie with sporting connections. The number came to 11.
Rajkumar Sharma

Post by Rajkumar Sharma »