Yuki Bhambri

All posts regarding specific player and player fans threads are in this forum

Moderator: Moderators

arjun2761
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Yuki Bhambri

Post by arjun2761 »

I think he is referring to the following:
Bhambri is making his second appearance at the ATP 250 event and will look to continue his run against either countryman Ramkumar Ramanathan or Italy’s Stefano Travaglia in the second round.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

^^^^
Ok
prashanthm
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by prashanthm »

Breaking my long hiatus with this post.... :p Was going to post when Yuki won his 3-hour match in Pune, but couldn't :-(

Yuki didn't make it into the main draw of Doha with his PR. He was two out as of the qualifying draw.

He's signed up for doubles with Divij and they're two out (Advanced and Onsite) there as well. Only way to salvage the week is to make it in as Alt...
Dinesh

Post by Dinesh »

^^^ No, they ended up staying in Bengaluru instead. Pity that he wasn’t even awarded a doubles main draw wild card while the Ukrainian Ilya Marchenko received one. So bizarre!
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Yes, but strange choice from Yuki too. He should have taken a singles wild card for at least 1 of the Bengaluru challengers. It looks like he has made up his mind now that he does not have much future in singles. He will probably still play singles at grand slam qualies and some of the other bigger tournaments where he can get in with his PR. But, looks like he will not bother to play singles at challengers.

Btw, nice to see you back PrashanthM. Your last post was in 2018. So, it has been a long time. Keep posting regularly now.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

prashanthm wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 2:24 am Yuki didn't make it into the main draw of Doha with his PR. He was two out as of the qualifying draw.
So, he did not make it into the main draw and he would have to play qualifying and he did not go? A technical question. If that is so, does it count as one of his PRs being used up? Or does it not since he did not make it to the main draw?
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

He only attempted to enter the main draw with his PR, not the qualifying draw. So it doesn't count as one tournament, since he didn't make it into the main draw with his PR.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Good. Thanks for the explanation.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Yuki has made it to the Dubai ATP 500 qualfying draw next week with his PR. Last year he qualified for the main draw beating Prajnesh and RamK in qualifying.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Dubai ATP related posts have been moved to tournament thread as we have more players playing there.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

This is a detailed interview of Yuki where he clarified his position regarding playing singles and doubles this year-

Yuki Bhambri’s using the doubles route to get back to excelling in singles
“I’m looking at the grass and hard court season (to get back to singles regularly). That’s something I’d like to maximise on with my singles play. That’s a good time and platform to push and improve my ranking,” he said.
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

So our speculation was mostly accurate in that he's using doubles (and singles practice) as a way of getting match fit for singles. Still a little surprised at his travels to only play doubles (especially going to Ecuador) but it seems that motivated them to play hard and win the doubles title to justify the trip.
prashanthm

Post by prashanthm »

An interview from April that clarifies Yuki's plan for the rest of the year, specifically about his Singles...

https://indiantennisdaily.com/2022/04/3 ... houghts-a/
Yuki: I am going to try and enter more tournaments and hopefully get at least a match before the French.

Yuki: My schedule is going to be back to playing more singles from July, once the US swing starts. I’m definitely going to be playing in a tournament. Maybe even two okay. I don’t think I’ll be going straight into Wimbledon without playing on grass.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Yuki is still going into the FO qualifiers without a singles match on clay this year. This is simply atrocious. He had several opportunities to play Challenger qualifiers on clay, but skipped every chance of doing so. He could easily have played at least 3 Futures main draws in India, but didn't. This is really no way to go into a Slam.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

True, if he had played singles at 1-2 of those futures and/or Bangalore Challengers, he would have got his ranking around or inside top 500 which would have got him into qualifying draws of all the challengers that he wanted to play in. But, probably he does not want to play on clay challengers much. But, he should have at least played Heilbronn challenger last week where he would have got into qualifying draw.