Kashi-Vishwanath Corridor Project

As we had often come back to discussing economic benefits/impact of sports I thought it was about time for an economic discussion forum.
usaindia
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Kashi-Vishwanath Corridor Project

Post by usaindia »

jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Re: Kashi-Vishwanath Corridor Project

Post by jayakris »

I guess religious tourism is good for the economy. Religion by itself is fairly unproductive, I think :)
prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by prasen9 »

jayakris wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 1:06 am I guess religious tourism is good for the economy. Religion by itself is fairly unproductive, I think :)
Jay's account got hacked! [j/k Jay]

More seriously, there is some evidence for that:
Abstract:
In this paper, we investigate the relationships between informal institutions – proxied for by measures of religiosity – and levels of entrepreneurial activity, both productive and unproductive, using cross-section US state-level data. In doing so, we evaluate Baumol's (1990) conjectures on the role of institutions in determining whether entrepreneurs will channel their efforts toward wealth-generating activities or toward zero- or negative-sum rent-seeking. We distinguish between measures of both the belief (e.g., the frequency of prayer) and belonging (e.g., church attendance) that have been stressed by authors such as Barro and McCleary (2003). We find that several religious variables significantly and negatively correlate with a state's productive entrepreneurship score. Alternatively, most religious variables in our data do not correlate significantly with unproductive entrepreneurship. We also find that the percent of individuals reporting as atheist/agnostic is positively associated with productive entrepreneurship.
Source: https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals ... DFC1305B12

This is narrower. But, Jay's comment reminded me of this paper. Enjoy! :-)

On the other hand, I am 100% in favor of this project [without considering any other opportunity cost, i.e., not weighing in whether that money could have gone to building a hospital or school, etc.]. Instead of considering this as a religious project, just think of this as a history project. As long as they have done things competently, finding 40 ancient temples is great news. They should be rehabilitated with care.

The displacement of 1400 shops and small businesses is the only concern. If, and perhaps this is a big if in India and anywhere in the world, they were put somewhere they are getting the business still, and maybe, can be brought back, I am fine with this. Of course, things will never be the same. But, more or less. Take care of the people and I am 100% on board.
PKBasu
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by PKBasu »

Both jay's and prasen9's computers seem to have been hacked :-)
usaindia

Post by usaindia »

one more
A video from YouTube usually appears here. Please contact an administrator.
A video from YouTube usually appears here. Please contact an administrator.