Tokyo Olympics 2020

All other sports such as squash, badminton,volleyball, atheletics etc which are not covered by any other forum heading can be entered in this forum

Moderator: Moderators

sameerph
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Tokyo Olympics 2020

Post by sameerph »

Sorry having to say this but tweet by Sania Mirza on that Rohan tweet that we missed a medal together because of this is AITA thing is ridiculous. I mean the only thing AITA can be accused of in this case is misleading and giving false hope to Rohan and Sania and thereby causing them some heartburn. But, what did they do for them not being able to compete and miss a possible medal therby ?
Rajiv
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by Rajiv »

Rajiv wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:00 am And I thought he (Rohan) got 60lacs , but the actual amt he drew from the TOPS scheme was 1.24 crores which even included 27.4 lacs for his chaddi baddy physio Gaurang Shukla.
Divij too milked in 80.59 lacs as well , So over 2 crores of Indian tax money down the drain, forget a medal , couldn't even gain an entry.
Correction it is not 1.24 crores which Rohan drew from the TOPS scheme , but it is 1.51 crores(1.24 + 27) , making it a total of 1.51 crs which included 27 lacs for his friend the physio.
Ullhas

Post by Ullhas »

Rajiv wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:11 am And if Bopanna was so keen and eager to play the Olympics, he should have made a serious attempt to play more regularly with Divij, and raise their rankings and not just play 1 single token tournament before a GS,
Also not to forget lakhs of Tax Payers rupees gone down the drain under that release of funds through TOPS programme.
Completely agree on this point. Our tennis STARs are quick to point fingers at others but will make no serious effort to put country before personal goals and egos. What is more painful is that they act as if they are assuring a medal for country but when time comes they are barely close to make it count. We should better stop giving tennis undue importance at Olympics.
RohitG

Post by RohitG »

@Rajiv, with the amount of money these doubles players got, our singles players should go all in on Asian Games, Davis Cup, Commonwealth. A gold medal at CWG can fetch hefty awards from their respective state govts as well. I am sure that's roughly how much they'd earn if they make it to main draw of the slams. I feel players like Yuki and RamK should give a shot for doubles, they can rise up the rankings and make it to Paris 2024. 2 more Asian Games and 2 CWGs while at it; if they get a podium finish, they'll get financial incentives from National and State govts, and that TOPS money too.
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

Gracenote has somehow (unlike us at sports-india) improved their prediction for India to 4G, 9S, 6B for a total of 19 medals. I think this is an insane prediction, but is the comparison to Rio where they had us at 5 (1G, 4B).

I do not have a breakdown of Gracenote's latest predictions.

AP has also gone with 19 medals in their predictions. Their split is 4G, 5S, 10B

G - Abhishek Varma, Yashaswini Deswal, Saurabh/Manu, Divyansh Panwar (last one is a joke tbh)

S - mixed archery, Deepika Kumari (both of these are jokes), Elavenil, Manu Bhaker, Divyansh/Elavenil

B - Saurabh Choudhary, Aishwary Tomar, Anjum, Rahi Sarnobrat, Abhishek/Yashaswini, Lovlina Borghain, Mirabai Chanu, Ravi Kumar, Bajrang Punia, Deepak Punia, Vinesh Phogat
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Mark my words. If India wins 19 medals, I will eat all my notebooks.
srini

Post by srini »

Media is again back with its Olympics cancellation possibility predictions.
https://edition.cnn.com/2021/07/20/spor ... index.html

There have been Olympic cancellations before the games start but there haven't been instances where Olympics were suspended once they started.The only such time it even came close to happen was Munich 1972 when Israeli athletes were massacred. After such a tragedy also IOC was averse to cancellation of games and during memorial service held for athletes, IOC president made scant reference for the athletes murdered. IOC has been so ruthless all along when it comes to parting with any advertising revenues. Have to see how ruthless they can be as more and more athletes keep testing +ve. In the rare case of cancellation 2-3 days after games start, i can see there is a chance India ending up as one of the few countries with some medals to boast of from a suspended 2020 Olympics and may actually be placed in a very respectable position in the over all medal table,a position placement in table that it will find very difficult to surpass in the future games!
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

prasen9 wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:59 am Mark my words. If India wins 19 medals, I will eat all my notebooks.
Hey time to start eating those notebooks! India has already won more than 19 medals, and that is without counting any from this Tokyo olympics.😁
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

prasen9 wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:59 am Mark my words. If India wins 19 medals, I will eat all my notebooks.
sadly that won't come to fruition though I would like to see that video :D
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

prasen9 wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:59 amMark my words. If India wins 19 medals, I will eat all my notebooks.
Prasen, the environmentally conscious leftist, had moved to edible notebooks long ago. So, this is like my prediction in 2005 to shave my moustache if Sania didn't make top-10 in doubles in her career. Prasen uses rice notebooks. Transfers the info to his laptop and eats the book every day. Like I shave my moustache everyday. You don't believe me? Here...

A video from YouTube usually appears here. Please contact an administrator.
A video from YouTube usually appears here. Please contact an administrator.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

lol. I will change over to these books when India reaches 18. For now, I am using plain old paper. I think I have enough notebooks to last the rest of my life though. Thanks for saving me from indigestion (and hospitalization?) :-) I am pretty sure we are not getting to 19. Let us see if data science and sports analysis wins or SportsIndia Forumites are still better at it to prove deep-domain-knowledge matters.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

arjun2761 wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:23 am
Hey time to start eating those notebooks! India has already won more than 19 medals, and that is without counting any from this Tokyo olympics.😁
:-) I will take umbrage in "wins" (future) as opposed to "won". Phew, that was close! :-) And, if someone is keeping tabs in years and revisits this, okay, I meant this year in Tokyo Olympics. If that still does not work, then I will weasel out by saying that I said I will eat it. I will eat them the day before I die :-) Even steven. :-)
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

There are 8 Indian shooters ranked #1 or 2 in the world in our Olympic team. There are 3 others ranked #1 in wrestling or boxing, one in archery. PV Sindhu is #7 but a likely medalist, and Mary Kom is #3 but could bring one in too. The hockey team will win gold or silver (I've said for awhile that they would make the final). Neeraj Chopra is likely to bring in at least a bronze.

So my prediction is that India will win 4 gold medals, 6 silver and 10 bronze medals -- 20 in all. This is likely to be our best Olympics by a long way. (That Russia is missing helps).
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

PKBasu wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:24 pmSo my prediction is that India will win 4 gold medals, 6 silver and 10 bronze medals -- 20 in all. This is likely to be our best Olympics by a long way. (That Russia is missing helps).
The incorrigible optimist has spoken. Prasen will find this hard to stomach, pun intended.

But if we get up to 12+ medals, I think India will surely bid for the 2036 Olympics (Up to Brisbane 2032 are decided, right?)
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

Way to go, PKB! One up those pessimistic pollsters!