England in India, February-March 2021

As the other sports forums seem to have taken old to some respect, well here is a cricket forum. NOTE: This forum will be heavily moderated and can be revoked at any time is discussions go out of hand.

Moderator: Moderators

PKBasu
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: England in India, February-March 2021

Post by PKBasu »

England are 100/4 now, chasing 164 to win. SL collapsed (126 all out) in the second innings to English spin :p . And now left arm spinner Lasith Embuldeniya has followed up his 7 wickets in the first innings with 3 more second-innings wickets. But Root didn't fall to him in I2, he was taken by the off-spinner Ramesh Mendis.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

More than their batting, I am concerned about our batting. Particularly James Anderson. We will figure out a way to play their spinners.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

I’m not so sure. I think spinners will be our downfall, should there be one. Panesar, of all people, helped them win a series in India, which was considered the holy grail in the world of cricket. Our overconfidence isn’t deserved in the era of T20. We are no longer automatic batting against spinning leaders. Nor are we bowling leaders. Leach can be a handful. Or any left arm spinner. India has not had a good record against left arm spinners in my limited memory.
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

Atithee wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:53 pm I’m not so sure. I think spinners will be our downfall, should there be one. Panesar, of all people, helped them win a series in India, which was considered the holy grail in the world of cricket. Our overconfidence isn’t deserved in the era of T20. We are no longer automatic batting against spinning leaders. Nor are we bowling leaders. Leach can be a handful. Or any left arm spinner. India has not had a good record against left arm spinners in my limited memory.
I kind of agree! For all the non-success Lyons had, Pujara did not feel comfortable against Lyon! Even in T20, the use of feet to spinners was practically non-existent
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

Didn’t Swepson snare Kohli and overall had a good game? He’s their new left arm spinner, right? The next one in line? I remember Tendulkar being an automatic first victim to a debutant left arm spinner. And, it’s pretty much still the case. We are not so good. Prasen, stats badly needed :D
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

PKBasu wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:31 am And the non-test players in the India squad will have had no first-class preparation (eg, Ishant/Axar/Pandya, with Kohli not having played a first-class game since the Adelaide test).
I assure you that Pandya is NOT a test player. Ishant, I don’t like. Axar is worth a try. He’s not considered an automatic, which are the ones we need. The first two will not even last two tests. And Ishant never learns—again my bias.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Leach and Bess have been both better than Panesar in their short careers. We need to get their careers on track (to retirement ;-)).

Wrt stats, I cannot run any stats because there is perhaps no site that shows data of averages, etc. against spin. Or even dismissals against spinners. Maybe someone else knows how to run these stats.
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

I thinkEngland could potentially win the first test, just because they are probably more familiar with sub continent conditions after playing in SL

It is weird that there is just two weeks gap between the test series!
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

The gaps are totally driven by the tamasha, er, IPL.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

Didn’t know Sundi is still so passionate about cricket:

Atithee

Post by Atithee »

Looks like India is planning a parallel India A tour to England this summer, much like the NZ and Australia one, where India A plays at the same time as India team. It is a good experience and helps provide ready replacements, should a need arise, as it did in Australia.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/indi ... 21-1249410
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

And, the English give us idiots in the practice games and some other countries do that too. We should take two teams and play one vs the other. Especially, in COVID days --- yes, I expect some COVID restrictions to be still there then, this is handy. But, more handy because we will have two good teams fighting against each other and getting good practice. It would be fun to see if Iyer can handle Bumrah, etc. I expect them to still give us rank batting pitches for the practice games and all such shenanigans. But, their not giving us good practice partners will be handled. Somehow we got two good Aussie teams to practice. They need to figure out things too. So, it was win-win. Maybe the BCCI had a word with Australia and they agreed. The English were maybe not that great. I would love to see Kohli bounced by Saini :p

My two teams for England:

Gill, Rohit, Pujara, Kohli, Rahane, Pant, Jadeja, Hardik/Ishant, Ashwin, Bumrah, Shami (Hardik if he can bowl)

Easwaran, Panchal, Rahul, Iyer, Vihari/Mayank, Saha/Bharat, Washi, Axar, Bhuvi, Thakur, Siraj.

Would be fun to watch. Interesting that we have two test quality teams with only Axar, Easwaran, Panchal and Iyer the newbies among the 25 I have named above. We should petition for India-A to be given test status. Test matches should have a 1st division (10 teams) and 2nd division (5-8 teams). Let us allow A-teams from the top 3-4 countries in the 2nd division. And then have a playoff between the weakest teams in the 1st division and the top two teams in the 2nd division. Would be fun. And actually more fair to the excellent players in India, Australia, England, and New Zealand, who do not get chances because their top team is so good.
rajitghosh
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by rajitghosh »

Looks like Prasen's wish is fulfiled.

https://sports.ndtv.com/cricket/india-t ... es-2359128

Indeed, India is going to play a 4 day match against India A.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

That’s what I posted earlier and didn’t understand Prasen’s response.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

I don't understand my response either. :-) Your post referred to a "parallel tour" for the India-A team which England and us and others have been doing for a time. But this is different in that we play a strong team from our own shores. So, I wrote the response before reading your article. Then, I read that that is what they are doing. Now, I may have read that that is what they were trying to get set before but did not read anywhere it had been confirmed. Does that sort of make sense? That is the most sense I can make out of my nonsense. :-)