England in India, February-March 2021

As the other sports forums seem to have taken old to some respect, well here is a cricket forum. NOTE: This forum will be heavily moderated and can be revoked at any time is discussions go out of hand.

Moderator: Moderators

Atithee

Re: England in India, February-March 2021

Post by Atithee »

PKB—I think you’ve developed too strong an attachment to sarfraz. I don’t recall a whole lot about his fairytale season (I think he hit a triple) and scored a bunch of runs alright. But, I don’t think he’s test material worthy of an India cap yet. Easwaran’s form did dip, but he’s a proper batsman. Australian tour has shown that good players deliver good results. I would still advocate to groom Easwaran. I had posted his story a long time ago on this board and he has the goods to deliver, his poor form of late not withstanding.

P.S. Is Anderson playing in India?
prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by prasen9 »

Atithee wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:12 pm

Et tu, Sundar? Didn’t know he still follows the game and tweets about cricket. Maybe Washington Sundar got him excited being his namesake. I suppose you can take an Indian out of India, but can’t take cricket out of him.
Sundar (or Sundi as we called him) was my batchmate (IIT Kgp, same year, metallurgy topper) and the roommate of one of my very close friends at Stanford. He and most students in KGP were excited about cricket although he was quite hard-working and possibly not waste as much time as I would watching cricket. :-)

Now, Sameer, if you get the time will you please move these two posts to the Aussie thread. :-)
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

I am concerned with Gill's stand, reach, and thwack technique. He obviously has a lot of time to play the ball. And, Sehwag succeeded against all odds. However, conventional wisdom is that you will have a problem if your feet are not moving towards the ball before you thwack at it and instead you are reaching out with the arm and hitting. He will have problems in swinging conditions. I do not know if he will change his technique or stance so that he does not have to move that much. Or cut out away from the body strokes in England and New Zealand. But, we will see. Right now, he is the next superstar in waiting. Good luck to him.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Atithee wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:15 pm PKB—I think you’ve developed too strong an attachment to sarfraz. I don’t recall a whole lot about his fairytale season (I think he hit a triple) and scored a bunch of runs alright. But, I don’t think he’s test material worthy of an India cap yet. Easwaran’s form did dip, but he’s a proper batsman. Australian tour has shown that good players deliver good results. I would still advocate to groom Easwaran. I had posted his story a long time ago on this board and he has the goods to deliver, his poor form of late not withstanding.

P.S. Is Anderson playing in India?
Anderson is in the touring party.

Sarfaraz has a first-class batting average of 66.5 after 17 matches. Last year, he played 6 matches for Mumbai and made 928 runs, including an innings of 301*. He is the type of fearless batsman who needs to be encouraged -- a la Pant and Gill. Of course, Shaw too was one of those, but Sarfaraz has just been completely ignored, partly because there was no Irani and Duleep Trophy where he might have advanced his chances further.
rajitghosh
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by rajitghosh »

prasen9 wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:52 pm
Atithee wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:12 pm

Et tu, Sundar? Didn’t know he still follows the game and tweets about cricket. Maybe Washington Sundar got him excited being his namesake. I suppose you can take an Indian out of India, but can’t take cricket out of him.
Sundar (or Sundi as we called him) was my batchmate (IIT Kgp, same year, metallurgy topper) and the roommate of one of my very close friends at Stanford. He and most students in KGP were excited about cricket although he was quite hard-working and possibly not waste as much time as I would watching cricket. :-)

Now, Sameer, if you get the time will you please move these two posts to the Aussie thread. :-)
So he was a typical Kgp Maggu? If he was that good why didn't he change departments after 1st year or in those days dep change was not there? Nehru Hall, right?
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

Maybe he liked metallurgy?
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

Kevin Pietersen used a translator?

PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Looks like the outcome/output of a typical Google Translate action...
suresh

Post by suresh »

:Offtopic: Am I the only person who cannot see embedded tweets? I need to click and go to twitter to read the tweet.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

Suresh, not sure. When I embed it as a poster, I don’t see it until I hit submit either. I think I used to have this problem earlier but it went away on its own. I recommend logging out, clearing cookies, and relogging in to see if it works.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

rajitghosh wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:42 am So he was a typical Kgp Maggu? If he was that good why didn't he change departments after 1st year or in those days dep change was not there? Nehru Hall, right?
Yes, I think Nehru Hall. Certainly old campus (Azad, Nehru, Patel). We were new campus (RP, RK, LLR). This is old/new then ('89-93). Now there are a lot more halls. He was not "that" good. After the first year, the top GPA holders would change departments if they wanted. Most of those who got that changed. We had three students come into CS that way. There was a limited quota. So, he was not that good but he was pretty good. He was a serious student. I do not know what a "typical Kgp Maggu" would be because there were all sorts. People who did not study and did well, people who studied and did well, etc. All combinations.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Coming back to cricket. The best performing batsmen in the last five years in India have been: Shaw, Sharma, Mayank, Kohli, Pant, Pandya (roughly in that order). Followed by Nair, Dhawan, Pujara, Jadeja, Rahul (again roughly in that order). Before, we get to Rahane. Rahane has had problems with spinners and batting in India.

I do not like Pant keeping to three spinners on turning tracks. So, we would like to get Saha. With some spinning allrounders we have, we can and should play with five bowlers because our bowlers are not super-fit and in order to manage the workload over five tests. So, what do we do?

Mayank, Rohit, Gill, Kohli, Pant, Hardik, Saha, Ashwin, Axar, Kuldeep, Ishant, Bumrah.

It will require guts and gumption to drop Pujara and Rahane in India. Not going to happen. But, that is one thought and perhaps the most logical thought. I also want to give chances to the younger players in Mayank, Gill, Pant, and Hardik.

They will, of course, take the easy way in dropping Saha and not bringing in Hardik as a batsman only. If Hardik is almost ready to bowl even 5-10 overs, we could go with another bat and one less pacer.

Rohit, Gill, Pujara, Kohli, Pant, Mayank, Hardik, Saha, Axar, Kuldeep, Bumrah.

I think this team looks stronger. Can we please try it? Also, ask Rohit to bowl some spin and have Gill try out his hand. Hardik to try bowling some off-spin or leg-spin or something that does not stress his back as much. We need about 10 overs per innings at max from the fifth bowler and 20 overs if there is an injury per innings. We should cover it by committee and strengthen the batting and keeeping.
S_K_S
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by S_K_S »

Rahane needs to be made captain permanently. You can’t go back to Kohli after everything that happened.
karr

Post by karr »

Prasen, in your final squad, you have 6 bats + Hardik + Saha. And hence 3 bowlers. I don't think you meant that.

Ashwin will walk in.
I am apprehensive about Ishant's readiness for long form Cricket. Its unfortunate that we can't test him out in a 3 day first class game. Same with Kuldeep - no idea what his first class form looks like in red ball Cricket. Can we afford to go into critical tests with complete unknowns? Washi's batting would have been so useful, but it would seem strange to operate with two offies.

I share concerns around Rahane's form and ability on Indian pitches. But I suspect there's no dropping him for atleast the first 2 matches.

Rohit, Gill, Pujara, Kohli, Rahane, Pant.
Take a risk and use Pant as your keeper and see if he can cut it.
Ashwin, Axar, Bumrah, Ishant

I suspect the 10 above is how the selectors will go.

That leaves a slot - you could use it on Saha OR Hardik
OR one of Kuldeep/Washi/Shardul.

That list of 10 above has a number of players returning from Injury which is scary: Ashwin, Bumrah, Ishant, i.e. 3 of 4 bowlers. I would hence pad bowling with the 11th being one of Kuldeep/Washi/Shardul. Washi/Shardul will strengthen ur batting too. I would pick from one amongst those two and can't decide.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

How do we drop Siraj in favor of Ishant Is beyond me. Please tell me your rationale whoever is proposing that.