Coronavirus SARS-Cov2 (COVID-19)

This is a place where you can enter any non-sports general topics
depleter
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Coronavirus SARS-Cov2 (COVID-19)

Post by depleter »

Schools reopening in some states from Monday. This might be the next major factor for cases .
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

^^^ I am also nervous about what will happen once schools open. We need to be ready with Feluda soon for lots of testing and quick results.

Meanwhile we had +48.8K from about 1142K tests today, and the positivity dropped even further to 4.27%...

But the numbers seem to be showing some little flattening over the last two days, mostly because Delhi has started adding some good numbers yet again, and Kerala is not dropping too fast. But Karnataka and AP are testing very well lately just as the numbers go down in those two states... Precisely how one should take the virus out of there! UP, Bihar, Gujarat and Jharkhand are showing no signs of reducing testing, even after the positivity is really low near 1.5% or below it in all those places. Thankfully, WB numbers have not shot up like I feared just yet...Actually they haven't gone up the last two days (but WB spreads the numbers over the days and always gives smooth results, so who knows what number-games Mamata is playing!).
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

Schools reopening is a terrible idea. We are more than halfway there to some vaccine, I would leave them remote.

That said, I do not know what the societal impact of that is. How much do kids actually learn at school?
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Haha, what do the kids learn in school anyway? :) .... But I think it is causing a lot of stress in parents, who think the kids are losing out a lot, though we all may feel that it is probably not that big a deal in the ultimate analysis. Major disruption though. I can't blame them for trying to get schools opened as soon as they can. We will just have to hope that testing will be cheap and accessible and that parents will be sensible enough about getting tests done for early detection to avoid trouble. Asking for too much, I know...

-----
ICMR update: 107,728,088 total tests... Thursday tests: 1,164,648... That is a bit on the high side compared to the last couple of days... Lab count: 2023
prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by prasen9 »

Schools are also daycares. I think people learn in school. The best students can self-learn and the rich can have tutors. For the others, it provides a structure and a curriculum and some time dealing with peers, etc.

Seems like Europe is also reopening some schools. There is some evidence that it may not be that bad. But, I am not sure about the cost benefit tradeoffs.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

We had +48.3K today, from about 1165K reported tests, at an even lower positivity of 4.15%... Great.

But USA beat our record (damnit, we cannot keep any record)... had 101K cases today, beating our single-day record of 97K from some 7 weeks ago. France again had a 1000 cases more than us today.

------------
ICMR Update: 108,796,064 total tests... Friday tests: 1,067,976... Lab count: 2030
suresh

Post by suresh »

jayakris wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:22 am But USA beat our record (damnit, we cannot keep any record)... had 101K cases today, beating our single-day record of 97K from some 7 weeks ago. France again had a 1000 cases more than us today.
I am happy to lose that record.
Omkara

Post by Omkara »

Now we all know it's just a matter of time. So no happiness in winning or losing covid related records. I just turn on Bees Gees "Staying Alive" and be happy what those words say.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

And the Government has started preparing for Vaccine roll-out...

Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

Most of the world outside East Asia has shown they are equally incompetent when it comes to dealing with the virus. Some are slightly better (like Germany), some are significantly worse (like Brazil) but general ineptitude persists.

Hopefully we can get a vaccine before the second wave hits India (which if Europe and the US are anything to go by will have significantly higher confirmed case counts).

My building has 2 confirmed cases and one family isolating. With HVAC necessary in the colder weather, I am not sure how avoidable it is.
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

With Northeast monsoon onset, TN could see big spike in cases! There has been a fatigue even among people who want to resume their life! I wish people use mask and eye glasses which at least appears to slow the spread! It is very perplexing why mask is becoming such a political issue
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Kumar wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:41 pmIt is very perplexing why mask is becoming such a political issue
Is mask a political issue in India too? I thought there was nothing like that, but that a lot of people just didn't care to use it.

Meanwhile, we had +47K today and the drop in numbers are flattening a bit now, as expected. Deaths are down near 475 cases today. Everything still dropping. Had about 1172K tests which brought the positivity down even more to 4.1%... Actually some 45K were extra tests done by Jharkhand, who continue to do precisely the right things. It seems they did another AG "mini-mela" (just what I call what Assam and Jharkhand do; Not an official term!)... JH still found only 474 odd cases from 87K tests at some 0.5% positivity (wow!). But even if we disregard those tests, we still havd 113K tests for a 4.2% positivity. So, it is looking good. If only Kerala, W.Bengal and Rajasthan could increase their testing. No sign of it. Rajasthan is particularly bad these days (just 14K tests reported today), which is surprising, considering how well they did earlier.
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

Sorry, I was thinking US while talking about Mask
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

People are all just wacky all over the world these days with echo chamber understanding of conspiracy theories. All kinds of fanning of passions by politicians add to the problems. So many people are angry about so many things that are just not true, or are small facts/truths that are blown out of proportion. They distrust the systems/institutions so deeply in many countries, and it is getting to a crazy point now. Need something to be done but there is no global leadership from anybody in handling this matter of "lack of trust in the institutions". It is rampant in the US, Europe, S. America and a bit in Australia/NZL too. India has the issue when it comes to religious and patriotism matters but not so much about science matters (as yet, thank God).

There is some little truth to some of the mask-related comments by anti-mask people, but it is blown out of proportion and this bullshit about a vaccine mafia has made it all worse. Even after getting Covid and suffering (and knowing that it is not "just a f***ng flu"), some of these idiots think that it is all a big propaganda by the vaccine mafia. What can we do, when there are a whole lot of politicians who actually push that idea to get votes too?

-------------
ICMR Update: 109,887,303 total tests... Saturday tests: 1,091,239... Lab count: 2037
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

So we had +45.9K new cases today. It is almost exactly the same total as on last Sunday, so the daily additions graph did not drop today... But it is from significantly more tests. We had 1003K tests (4.58% positivity) last Sunday but the states reported 1098K tests today, for a positivity of 4.18%... So it is a clear drop from last week in infections. +491 deaths, so that has stayed under 500 for two days now.

-----
ICMR Update: 110,743,103 total tests... Sunday tests: 855,800... Lab count: 2041