Coronavirus SARS-Cov2 (COVID-19)

This is a place where you can enter any non-sports general topics
prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Coronavirus SARS-Cov2 (COVID-19)

Post by prasen9 »

Soumitra acted in Satyajit Ray's movies before he decided to make movies out of the Feluda books. I remember him in Ashani Sanket, a classic. Feluda was a detective in many books that Ray wrote before he made a few into movies. We loved it as kids. The names were memorable because they had alliterations: Gangtoke Gondogol, Kailashe Kelenkari, etc.

What a family! His dad Sukumar Ray wrote these exotic poems that are delectably funny and poignant. And his grandfather Upendrakishor was a superb children's story writer, philosopher and astronomer. Publisher and leader in the Brahmo Samaj. Upendrakishor's daughter was also a children's book writer and did some good stuff in Bengal. I think all three generations were instrumental in children's literature. Of course, Satyajit was or perhaps remains India's greatest movie-maker.
rajitghosh
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by rajitghosh »

Few weeks ago you had shared that famous knife throwing scene clip from the movie Joy Baba Felunath on this forum.
As far as Soumitra is concerned undoubtably his greatest performance was in the movie Charulata that is regarded as Satyajit Ray's finest. Kishore Kumar sung the song of his life in that movie when he sang Tagore's "Ami Chini go Chini tomare" for Soumitra.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Yes, Charulata indeed ... I should see those movies again with my daughter one of these days ... Just watched Hirak Rajar Deshe where he was the master. Anyway, seems like the great man is doing better
Rajiv

Post by Rajiv »

And Keeping on lines what Prasen normally quips.. :D
Would a kind moderator shift last few posts to another thread (maybe Baba Felunath thread ;) )
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Second!
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Worldometers watch : Looks like the whole of Europe is having a big second waive now bigger than first one- US,France, Italy, Germany,Spain all having more daily cases than during their first wave. Is it the winter effect ? Then, we have to also worry as our winter will set in later.

One good thing is deaths are nowhere near as high as during first wave. So, probably it is a milder version of the virus or more people getting saved due to more knowledge of the virus for health experts. Do no know.
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

No winter effect in Europe imo.

sameer, they reopened colleges and schools and this was an expected disaster. Like India, young people have also stopped taking necessary precautions.
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

Even in the US, most younger and healthier folks are treating this as not much worse than the flu. The Covid dorms in some of the Universities is where the party is at.

The dominant Covid variant that is spreading is considered milder than the more lethal version originally from China and that is normal given that people infected with the milder version are more likely to be asymptomatic and out-and-about. Also, read that this variant is more present in the upper respiratory tract and hence also spreads more easily.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

^^ But the newspaper reports on these different strains confuse me. Some would say that there is some more virulent strain somewhere and another would say that it is less virulent :) ... I gave up on following it all and trying to make sense.

Meanwhile we had only +63.4K from about 1141K tests today... So the positivity was a good 5.56% ... Assam seems to be done with three days of 100K+ AG testing. These high-testing days that they do every couple of weeks or so, seem to be helping.

Kerala is showing signs of possibly having gone over a peak. But they are still not testing well, so it is too early to say.

----
ICMR Update: 92,254,927 total tests... Thursday tests: 1,028,622... Lab count: 1945
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

arjun2761 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:35 pm Even in the US, most younger and healthier folks are treating this as not much worse than the flu. The Covid dorms in some of the Universities is where the party is at.

The dominant Covid variant that is spreading is considered milder than the more lethal version originally from China and that is normal given that people infected with the milder version are more likely to be asymptomatic and out-and-about. Also, read that this variant is more present in the upper respiratory tract and hence also spreads more easily.
I saw an article where students are getting Covid deliberately to get $100 for plasma donation! I think in US where college education is extremely expensive , I am ambivalent towards this approach
https://www.foxnews.com/health/byu-idah ... lasma-cash

My guess is that immune response is typically better in summer! That may be the reason for low fatality rates this past summer(and some of it attributed to younger patients getting infected) !
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

We only had +62.3K on Friday. From about 1174K reported tests at 5.31% positivity... I continue to be amazed at how the case numbers in districts all over India are just dropping and dropping (see the bad area list from Friday. The growth rates are near 0.7 percent now). Basically only Kerala is having any notable growth, and even Kerala has probably gone over the peak (hopefully).

-----
ICMR update: 92,254,927 total tests... Friday tests: 1,028,622... Lab count: 1953
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

It is completely crazy. Less than a month back, we were wondering when will the peak happen and even Jay was starting to lose hope (I had already stopped a while earlier) but as with every other country, it did happen and we are very clearly done with the first wave. Hoping that we can keep the daily numbers at 50k or lower until we start rolling out a vaccine in a few months.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Sin Hombre wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:45 pmIt is completely crazy. Less than a month back, we were wondering when will the peak happen and even Jay was starting to lose hope (I had already stopped a while earlier) but as with every other country, it did happen and we are very clearly done with the first wave. Hoping that we can keep the daily numbers at 50k or lower until we start rolling out a vaccine in a few months.
Completely crazy, indeed. I mean, we know some reasons now why the peak happens (mostly the super-spread items getting done, or some level of her immunity happening just among the super-spreaders in the population, or whatever)... but I have no idea how the peak happened in such a sharp way in India. Totally different states that had very different ways of handling the testing situation and different growths earlier, who were at different levels of cases per population, all started dropping at around the same time. Maybe the end of rains or something had more to do with it. And then it has been a straight line drop in the daily additions graph so far too, for 5-6 weeks. Anyway, it is all just cray.

Had +61.8K on Saturday, from from around 1143K tests, for a 5.41% positivity.

ICMR Update: 94,224,190 total tests... Saturday tests: 970,173... lab count: 1961
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

Good chart
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Yes, it is a very nice graph. But, really the economic hit we took was just too much. The economy is in serious trouble, though everybody thinks it will bounce back with good growth in a year's time. But the damage right now is severe. People are suffering too. Oh well. Not sure whom to blame. We had to do what he had to do.

But then again, I would rather not be among the countries on the right side of line from the bottom left to the top right. Like UK or Spain that too serious economic hits and had many times the deaths per million than us!

Meanwhile, it was only +56.5K today from about 1097K tests reported by the states, for a great 5.15% positivity. The best news was that the death total was only 581. Less than half of our peak numbers.

-----------
ICMR Update: 95,083,976 total tests... Sunday tests: 859,786... Lab count: 1962