Indian Premier League (IPL)

As the other sports forums seem to have taken old to some respect, well here is a cricket forum. NOTE: This forum will be heavily moderated and can be revoked at any time is discussions go out of hand.

Moderator: Moderators

Sin Hombre
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Indian Premier League (IPL)

Post by Sin Hombre »

Tewatia is a leg side hack as I have been telling you guys.

I don't mind Shaw having a couple of flops. I do not want him to bat for his average but bat for the team in this format.

Also the next T20 WC is now supposed to be in India, not Australia but who knows what will eventually happen.

indiasportsfan, Bhuvi looked good before getting injured. I think he is a shoo-in in this format given his control.
Rajiv
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by Rajiv »

I think this might be last IPL for following players.... Uthappa,Rahane,Saha Parthiv Patel
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

So you are betting on Dhoni and Rayudu to continue? To be honest, Dhoni has not been worse than most other keepers except Samson and Kishan among the keepers. So he may well do so ...
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Sin Hombre wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:56 am Tewatia is a leg side hack as I have been telling you guys.
Well so is Pant. If he can manage his deficiencies and still score, more power to him. But, it looks like he may not be able to do that. Can we find a leggie who can bat? We need one.
I don't mind Shaw having a couple of flops. I do not want him to bat for his average but bat for the team in this format.
I do not mind a couple of flops either but a top-order bat who averages 20 is not sustainable either. We should demand an average of 25 *and* a SR of 140. If you bat for average and keep a SR above 140, that is fine. Otherwise, you should be out.
indiasportsfan, Bhuvi looked good before getting injured. I think he is a shoo-in in this format given his control.
May be. But, if we have Bhuvi and Hardik and Jadeja and expect them to bowl 30 overs, then that is a lot of bowling without teeth (wicket-taking power). Then, we will depend upon Bumrah, Chahar and Chahal I suppose to take the wickets. One has a bad day and we are in trouble. We need a competent leggie who can bat. To me, only Bumrah and Hardik are shoo-ins. The rest depend upon each other. We need a sustainable combination.
Rajiv

Post by Rajiv »

prasen9 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:58 am So you are betting on Dhoni and Rayudu to continue? To be honest, Dhoni has not been worse than most other keepers except Samson and Kishan among the keepers. So he may well do so ...
Dhoni ofcourse is lamentable , but the amount of clout he carries in the Franchise , it could be very hard to drop him.
Samson w/k apart , batting wise after initial "Sharjah" knocks seems to have faded.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

My point is that compared to the other keepers: Saha, Parthiv, Karthik, etc. he has actually done better. He has batted faster than Rahul, who has scored a lot of runs but at times batted for average as Sin Hombre would say. I do not care if he continues or not for that matter but it is also the responsibility of the youngsters (in the other teams, say) to outperform him and then the case can be made that he is the worst keeper-bat in the league and needs to retire. Right now, except Ishan Kishan and Samson, the others have been slower than him (the main point against Dhoni).
Rajiv

Post by Rajiv »

Based on what we have seen so far, and their potential, My T20 Team India World Cup XI (till now - might change later)

1) Paddikal
2) Mayank
3) Virat
4) KL Rahul
5) S Yadav
6) Pant (WK)
7) Sundar
8) Saini
9) Chahar
10) Bumrah
11) Chahal
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Maybe but my stance is that none of the U-19 stars and 7-9 match wonders should be a shoo-in. They need to go to the A-team and hone their skills first. Unless, they are generational talents such as Tendulkar or Kohli. Having said that, I am bad at picking generational talent because I do not watch the domestic games that much. So, Padikkal can go to the A-team.

Based on performance, Tewatia, who can bowl leg-spin should be honed. Despite his weakness, let us see if he can hack it in the A-team matches.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

What a strange batting performance from RCB today. AB, who won them the previous match almost single-handed, was sent in at #6 with 3 overs to face. In Sharjah, a score of 171/6 is criminally low, as Rahul-Mayank are quickly showing.

Incidentally, just as we all picked Prithwi Shaw in our dream squads, he has totally flopped in the last two games!
Rajiv

Post by Rajiv »

ABD at 6 , owes a lot of explanation, what were they thinking, that explode like Pollard after 15 overs or is it that fishy fixing thing.
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

First Virat with a really poor innings, and the inexplicable hiding of AB.

Then KL with a really poor innings which almost cost them an easy chase.

Only Mayank batted well.

Even more evidence, we cannot have more than one of these tuktuk average chasers in the same T20 side. Paddikal, Virat and KL as 3 of the first 4 is guaranteed to fail.

I do like prasen's filter but would instead make it a minimum of 140 S/R, 100 runs scored (instead of 25 average which I don't care about).

Jadeja (126 runs / 168 SR) ; Mayank (382 / 161) ; Samson (227 / 161) ; SKY (233 / 155) ; Hardik (135/ 155) ; Shaw (202 / 150) ; Kishan (186 / 144) ; Tewatia (203 / 143)

Mayank
Shaw
tuk-tuk consolidator of choice
? (SKY/ Iyer)
Samson / Kishan / Pant
Hardik
Jadeja
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

prasen9 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:03 am May be. But, if we have Bhuvi and Hardik and Jadeja and expect them to bowl 30 overs, then that is a lot of bowling without teeth (wicket-taking power). Then, we will depend upon Bumrah, Chahar and Chahal I suppose to take the wickets. One has a bad day and we are in trouble. We need a competent leggie who can bat. To me, only Bumrah and Hardik are shoo-ins. The rest depend upon each other. We need a sustainable combination.
Talking about T20s.

We need 8-10 overs from Bhuvi, Hardik and Jadeja.

We need 10-12 overs from Bumrah, Shami/Saini/2nd seamer, Chahal

I think that is ok.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

If you take six of these bowlers then you have only five bats including the keeper. That means one of these guys is coming in to bat at 4 down. I do not think Hardik or Jadeja is a #6 in international games even though they may be good on the subcontinental pitches and the IPL. Can't do that. I would rather have 5 bowlers and six bats instead of vice-versa. That way we can get the big hitters the license to go for it and focus on SR instead of worrying about this long tail if we get the bowlers you mentioned. If we have Jadeja and Hardik at #6 and #7, we must have another all-rounder who is a better bat than Bhuvi at #8 and go with only 3 bowlers one of which can be Bhuvi.

You will have to update your number of runs from 100 when the number of innings goes up. That will approximately follow the average. Your list is the same as mine with a 25 average cutoff.

The IPL -XI would be: Mayank, Prithvi, Samson, Jadeja, Surya, Hardik, Kishan, Tewatia

plus three wicket-takers. Bumrah, Chahar, and a spinner/pacer based on where the matches are. Put in Bhuvi if you want. Then, we will have a long batting lineup which would mean that the top-3 would be told to go hammer and tongs.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

What has Hardik done to be in all of the shoo-in teams?
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

How is a guy like Sundar even considered a bowler? I can bowl as bad. I guarantee that.