Infected by the Corona Virus

This is a place where you can enter any non-sports general topics
suresh
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Infected by the Corona Virus

Post by suresh »

PKBasu wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:10 pm Suresh, what was the treatment (medicines, etc.) given to your wife and daughter while they were infected? Or is the advice simply to self-quarantine until other symptoms show up (which seems rather cavalier...)?
Both my wife and son needed nothing. They took Vitamin C as a supplement.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

That is the best news. No pain, all gain. Now they are immune - at least for 3-4 months.

Update: Okay, quarantine must have been pain. And, mentally, you are a bit anxious. But, mostly low pain, let us say.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

suresh wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:53 pm
PKBasu wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:10 pm Suresh, what was the treatment (medicines, etc.) given to your wife and daughter while they were infected? Or is the advice simply to self-quarantine until other symptoms show up (which seems rather cavalier...)?
Both my wife and son needed nothing. They took Vitamin C as a supplement.
Amazing! Did you consult a doctor about what you needed to do, or was this self-medication? I presume doctors are saying you need to treat the symptoms, and if you counter Covid19 early on, all will be well. Is that it?
suresh

Post by suresh »

We were in consultation with our campus doctors. They kept calling us every day for the first few days to see if any symptoms showed up. No symptoms means no treatment is needed. At the moment, doctors all over the world are treating symptoms and nothing else.
suresh

Post by suresh »

prasen9 wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:27 pm That is the best news. No pain, all gain. Now they are immune - at least for 3-4 months.

Update: Okay, quarantine must have been pain. And, mentally, you are a bit anxious. But, mostly low pain, let us say.
Yes, quarantine was a pain. There was some stress at the start as I was worried that symptoms might show up. After that, I was okay. However, I started feeling claustrophobic during the last 3-4 days.
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

Suresh -thanks for sharing your personal story. Glad that you all have recovered.

Increasingly, it appears that if you are fit (i.e., not have the commorbidities) the chances of fighting it off (or avoiding it altogether) is quite high. One persistent consequence that some are having is losing the sense of smell (for an unknown amount of time). I know of a family member who is quite fit and had symptoms, recovered relatively soon but still hasn't regained his sense of smell after several months.
Varma

Post by Varma »

Glad everything turned out to be good in the end, Suresh. Take care!

- Varma
suresh

Post by suresh »

Interestingly, no one in my family lost their sense of smell. Oxygen saturation levels were normal all days.
suresh

Post by suresh »

An update: Three weeks after the positive tests and after coming out of quarantine, all three of us (my son, wife and I) got tested for antibodies. In fact, we carried out two separate tests -- one for IGG (expected to show up to 3 months after infection) as well as total. The surprise: ALL of us tested negative. The serological tests are not great but the worst case scenario is that they are wrong 1/4 of the time. The probability of all 4 tests be simultaneously wrong is (1/4)^4 =0.4%. The first guess is that the RT-PCR tests gave a false positive -- this could happen if the cycling times are too high. The second possibility is that RT-PCR tests can give positives up to 63 days after infection. The IGG test being negative still doesn't fit with the infection being much earlier. This is extremely confusing.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by jayakris »

Oh, that is indeed pretty confusing. None of you really had it, I guess?
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Yes, same thought ... In layman language, you guys never infected, right?
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

prasen9 wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:21 pm
rajitghosh wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:32 am Thank God Suresh and family are well.
The question is: Did Suresh thank God too? What type of God is it? He, she, it, they? Einsteinian god? I am delighted that Suresh and family are doing great. I am delighted that his wife and son at least have immunity now and hopefully, that will last at least four months. Oh, wait! What is the false positive rate for the test? Anyway, happy that everyone is doing well and is healthy.
Well, as the debugger of the forum, I was trying to find a bug. Now, it seems a false positive is the most likely answer. Nobody answered my question and I am too lazy to answer mine. So, it was a false positive? Maybe this time God only knows.
suresh

Post by suresh »

jaydeep wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:10 pm Yes, same thought ... In layman language, you guys never infected, right?
That is where my money is.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by jayakris »

Suresh, is everything okay? You haven't said anything in 3 days, so I wondered.
suresh

Post by suresh »

jayakris wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:46 am Suresh, is everything okay? You haven't said anything in 3 days, so I wondered.
I am busy at work! Teaching (online) has begun and I am trying to figure out how to optimally teach. It is taking 10 times more time than the old chalk and talk method.