This is a place where you can enter any non-sports general topics
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Coronavirus SARS-Cov2 (COVID-19)

Post by jayakris »

Revisiting my predictions from 2 weeks ago (June 7), which was checked and revised in my post last Sunday (June 14):
jayakris wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:12 amI will narrow next Sunday's (June 21) numbers to 420K to 430K... Probably should even go for 410K to 420K but not fully confident of that much of flattening happening during this week. Let us see. New prediction for June 28 is 510K to 530K but I think we may even be below even 500K in 2 weeks.
We made it to the middle range of my predicted window, at 426.9K today. But I strongly felt that we might be much lower today, in my mind. Just wasn't confident, as I felt that a crazy rise that happened this week could still happen... Good that I was extra-cautious there.

My prediction for next Sunday? No choice but to raise my window from last week (510-530K) to a higher range, at 525-540K, for June 28th.

Adding a prediction for two weeks ahead... July 5th - I expect it in the 655K-685K range. Boy, look at the numbers we are working with, now!
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

Are you surprised by the numbers, Jay? I’m not a bit. I’ve been tracking the doubling rate from your notes, and it has steadily fallen (got worse) over the past week. Not a good sign although I don’t think we will have terrible numbers when all is said and done. But, I’ll stick to my poll estimate of > one million. Now hoping that the second wave will not be catastrophic for anyone, not just for India only.
Last edited by Atithee on Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

rajitghosh wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:30 amDid Ahmedabad have 63 deaths yesterday? Covid site shows 25. Delhi seems to be 63.
My mistake in the update page. I was sure I saw 63 for Gujarata nd got very worried... Maybe I got confused with Delhi when I saw the tweets.
On another note, while they seem to be getting Mumbai under control the adjoining districts like Thane and Palghar are now exploding. Not sure what the reason is. Could just be community transmission due to opening up. All districts of Maharashtra are rising. Not a good sign.
Not exploding. In fact Thane/Palghar/Raigad are just about at the national average in growth rate. Getting ready to fall behind the average in a week or two. It is just a natural process. The outskirts growth starts at a lag from the city center, and then it grows for a bit longer. We see this everywhere. Ring around Chennai, the ring around Delhi, the ring around Kolkata etc. Then one by one, they calm down and it goes to the next district but the growth may not go too high there. (Maybe because Delhi is the one city with a real full-circle ring ALL around, the center itself has not calmed down while the ring spread is more dispersed and they are sort of okay)

Chegalpattu just south of Chennai is almost getting ready to be at the national average. But Ranipet and Tiruvannamalai will take a little longer. Vellore (about 2 districts away) started its growth only 3 days ago. But it will die faster too, as the population density is less. So on...

Gurugram and Faridabad to the southwest of Delhi are showing positive signs of slowing down for a couple of days. Meerut to the northeast and Noida and Ghaziabad to the east probably already have. But it is too early to say something on those ring districts. Aligarh, a little further away has gone up a bit lately, but I don't expect that to last too long.

It's all a natural process. Or so it seems to me now.

As for other districts of Maharashtra, don't worry seeing the the numbers everywhere. They are all at the 3 percent growth variety. Not a big deal, with 25 days doubling period. The active case growth is totally non-problematic. People get sick, and they leave hospital in 10 days anyway. All over UP, AP, BIH, ODI, etc, we have this going on. Does not seem to be a cause for worry because the growth rate (except some parts of AP) are all at 25-day doubling rate.

"Community transmission" is an over-rated concept anyway. It is there just for the press to scare people, and an easy recourse for them to criticize the Governments. Just because you cannot trace to an index case or to a contact, does not mean that there is a problem. When you really don't know where the hot-spots are coming up and there is no way to focus your testing and tracing activities, then that is true community transmission. We are not there in any place in India, with the sole exception of Hyderabad/RangaReddy in Telengana. Maybe Delhi too.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Atithee wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:21 amAre you surprised by the numbers, Jay? I’m not a bit. I’ve been tracking the doubling rate from your notes, and it has steadily fallen (got worse) over the past week. Not a good sign although I don’t think we will have terrible numbers when all is said and done. But, I’ll stick to my poll estimate of > one million. Now hoping that the second wave will not be catastrophic for anyone, not just for India only.
I am not surprised. I was just disappointed that it didn't go in the good direction I wanted :) ... After all, it fell fully in the middle of my prediction two weeks ago (420-440K).

In fact what just happened is very interesting. The growth in the previous week was pretty low, and so this week's rates look like it is higher, but all it is doing is to catch up with the rate we had before (which was slowing down, and will slow down because the daily additions are still linearly increasing, in my opinion). It was a slower linear increase in the previous week at about extra 150 cases per day but went up to around 450 cases per day this week. The reality is that the linear increase is probably still 300-400 per day like it always was, post-lockdown.

So what happened? The unassigned cases' adjustments in the last two weeks. Negative adjustments last week and positive this week.

The thing about those case are that the states (I think UP, MAH etc, but others too) were taking ownership only after the recovery period passed (14 to 21 days). Not by design, but because they can;t find the people who took the tests that got reported to ICMR :) ... Those are cases that ICMR knew to have been tested positive, but the person has left for the villages or simply left quarantine somehow. The state has no record, or has some address in some other state... But they can't reach the person, who may have given some wrong address and phone number to fool the state too. So you don't have any record, and the state cannot add them to their count. The state has no idea except that the test was done in the state, unless the person shows up at a hospital. Finally, after a while, the state simply takes ownership and writes them off as recovered because they were never in hospital or in the death records or anything.

So, once we reached about 17 to 21 days seeing the unassigned cases, the states started adding those as new cases and news recoveries! They tell ICMR that test-ID-number-XXX is their case. ICMR takes the number off from their list. The process of the state telling ICMR and then ICMR taking them off takes like a week (because this is not urgent activity). So, we got some double counting over a few days at the end of the first 20 days of unassigned cases, and then ICMR took them off. So for about 5-6 days last week (about Days #21-28 of theses unassigned cases), we had a drop in the numbers by about 150 per day. After probably having a rise of double-counted cases by 50 a day in the week before last too. Complicated numbers, I know... Bottom-line: Last week had a drop in cases. Now, we were on a catchup phase this week, and the unassigned cases will be growing at the rate they were doing before, I assume ( constantly adding new unassigned cases and taaking them off, but the sum would be positive, on average, on any day). So, back to normal rate of growth after this confusion, and we should see 300-400 cases of daily growth in the number added each day.

But are there signs that this linear rate of increase in the 300-400 range per day is getting worse or improving? Right now, not much of a sign. I am pretty sure that it is not a super-linear growth. That means our overall growth rate and doubling period will keep on improving. If the doubling period keeps increasing, we can plan and handle the pandemic, as far as healthcare is concerned.

But there will be no peak unless we see the linear increase in daily cases change to a sub-linear increase. 300 per day increase needs to come down to 150 per day and 100 per day. Let us wait and hope to see that soon.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

ICMR Testing update: 6,950,493 Total ... Sunday tests: 143,267 ... So a 25% reduction on tests, as it is a Sunday. Let us hope for no more than 11.5K cases Monday...

ICMR Lab count update: Only +4 to 985...

Monday starts with a huge drop, on ministry adjustments. Unassigned goes down -1295 to 7832 ... That means we better not get more than 10.5K today.
Omkara
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by Omkara »

jayakris wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:37 am ICMR Testing update: 6,950,493 Total ... Sunday tests: 143,267 ... So a 25% reduction on tests, as it is a Sunday. Let us hope for no more than 11.5K cases Monday...

ICMR Lab count update: Only +4 to 985...

Monday starts with a huge drop, on ministry adjustments. Unassigned goes down -1295 to 7832 ... That means we better not get more than 10.5K today.
Too optimistic. Happy to be with 12k. Late week we had only 100k tests. Yet we did 10.5k
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

^^^ Maybe... But we have a -1300 in the adjustments, which is why I said a 10.5K could happen. More than 12K actual cases today from 143K tests would be really too high a positivity. Let us see...
rajitghosh

Post by rajitghosh »

Puri Rath Yatra to be held with no crowds. Is this going to be the new religious normal going ahead? Already Maharashtra has cancelled the Pandharpur palki and dahi handis are also getting cancelled.
prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by prasen9 »

No, eventually we will return to our cultural norms. Remember we have had these types of pandemics before, albeit 75-100 years ago. Things always return to normal. And, now with modern medicine, we will have a vaccine, or achieve herd immunity and then it will revert to business as usual.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Looks like the Odisha has ordered a complete lockdown from 9 pm Monday till 2 pm Wednesday in Puri district, as the Rath Yatra is tomorrow. No other way to prevent people from finding a way to get there and form a crowd tomorrow.

Meanwhile, add Madurai to the cities that have trouble brewing. The city I was keeping an eye on, and commented on, a couple of times. +153 today. Watch out. The sleeping small giant woke up. TN with +2710. ...

And, just as I say it, here comes the TN tweet - Madurai going into a one-week lockdown - https://twitter.com/ANI/status/1275070906339962887 (This is a good).
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

And the press in Telangana keeps singing the praise of the Chief idiot. Telangana CMO tops popularity charts on social media in 2019-20.

How does the Government in TEL manage to fool the public so much?
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

2A5F47D5-75B7-4CC1-86A2-972B61B93E23.jpeg
2A5F47D5-75B7-4CC1-86A2-972B61B93E23.jpeg (38.49 KiB) Viewed 1296 times
What do the forum members think of this KPI for community transmission probability? Whether it’s an accurate measure is debatable, but it’s probably a good measure of the severity?
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

The "quarantine" in the formula is the total number of people who have been quarantined at various times? If so, it is a good formula. It seems to clearly show the places and pretty much in the order I would've placed them, if you asked me on which places must be having problem.

And it brought out one item that I had not thought about. That Tamil Nadu may have really screwed up on quarantining people. They were keeping track and testing, but not quarantining. Am I right?

TN is the only place that I would'nt have expected to have that high a problem (Maybe Rajasthan too). But that is because I had not looked into any quarantining data or news from TN. Everywhere else, my perception of how things were going seems to match well with what the figure shows.

Good catch, Atithee. Where did you find the figure?

Just found a tweet with a clearer picture - https://twitter.com/dugarsanjays/status ... 0934275072 (not sure who made it)
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

Jay, it was forwarded in one of my WhatsApp groups. I think this India.in.pixels published it. The originator seems to be someone called Akula Guru Datta who used the arogya setu data based on the caption below the formula.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Okay. Nice index. I think it works. I will compare with my index rankings later this week when I release ( :) ) my bimonthly ranking for the states. Though it is on an independent index, I think both show similar rankings of the states. I didn't think quarantining data from all the states were available! If you are testing a lot, you usually quarantine a lot too, so the testing positivity numbers used in my index is somewhat of a surrogate for quarantining. They don't use death data, which I use. But as I realize, you can test a lot and not quarantine well, which may be a mistake TN is making. Similar to what we saw in UAE a while ago. They also tested a lot but couldn't get the job done - and quarantining and following-up may be the issue.

So, we finished at 13,548 today. Omkara was right, above! ... Way too high for my liking, and I wanted a 11.5 or something (though I actually had it, on the money, at 13,500 for today, in my prediction spreadsheet from Sunday the 14th :) ... I don't want to believe my own predictions and often find that my spreadsheet is right) ...