Coronavirus SARS-Cov2 (COVID-19)

This is a place where you can enter any non-sports general topics
Rajiv
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Coronavirus SARS-Cov2 (COVID-19)

Post by Rajiv »

jayakris wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 4:41 am
I'm still stunned from what the Hindusthan Times wrote about the recent positivity in Mumbai being 33%. Just can't get over it. We simply cannot be this dumb in India. Mumbai can't be. But it seems to be.
Jay blame it on the BJP , as being the main opposition party in the state , they just seem to be pampering the Sena led Govt and keeping Udhav in good humour , hoping a day will arrive soon when he will turn his back on NCP/Congress and Phadnavis will be back in the seat

As a responsible Opposition and the Largest single party they should be taking the Govt to task and hold them accountable for the mess Udhav led Sena Govt has created has created and put pressure on them to change their approach , Sadly their (BJP) actions in the State are not even 5% of what the Congress is targeting the Central Govt on the Crisis , and Phadnavnis seems to have gone into a deep slumber..
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by sameerph »

I just read that article. It says that the increase in percentage is due to change in testing protocol targetting only containment zones. I am not quite clear about that. Containment zones is designated so only when postives are found there. Does that mean earlier they were testing randomly across city ? And why that is stopped if they were still getting positives out of it.

Is there any site which gives testing numbers for Mumbai seprately to confirm that there were only around 2400 or tests daily in Mumbai ( if we take 800+ positives and 33 % rate).
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Rajiv wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 5:32 amJay blame it on the BJP , as being the main opposition party in the state , they just seem to be pampering the Sena led Govt and keeping Udhav in good humour , hoping a day will arrive soon when he will turn his back on NCP/Congress and Phadnavis will be back in the seat
This has been my gripe for a while. "Is there anything called an opposition in Maharashtra?" is what I asked earlier. But that is how politics is. Same issue in Gujarat too. Nobody asking questions. At least Ahmedabad is not out of hand like this. When really needed, all of the activists and intelligentsia in Mumbai have gone silent too. I am never too much with the activists in India, because they are all biased political animals, but if there was ever a time for them to pay attention to a critical problem in their society, it is now. But they can't seem to figure out the politics right, to raise their voice. They were there to yell at Modiji about the migrants walking, or crowding the Delhi bus terminal. And about Dharavi. It's all good to think of the poor and slum people, but should you stop thinking about everything else at the same time? There are 1000 patients in Dharavi, but 14000 elsewhere in Mumbai. Anybody thinking of the spread elsewhere and about how to stop it? They yell about India's low test number per capita, having read the NY Times, but do not ask why Mumbai's positivity is this high. The press writes nothing. Haven't seen a single insightful article on testing, from Mumbai, in the English press. Don't any of these guys have a brain?
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

sameerph wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 5:47 am I just read that article. It says that the increase in percentage is due to change in testing protocol targetting only containment zones. I am not quite clear about that. Containment zones is designated so only when postives are found there. Does that mean earlier they were testing randomly across city ? And why that is stopped if they were still getting positives out of it.
Yeah, it is all BS that Mumbai is doing. I think they wanted to reduce the deaths, so some brainless mandarins decided to grab a lot more people from containment zones and get them into hospitals early or whatever, to avoid deaths. Asinine. In the process, they seemed have stopped tracing, so they are not going to new places, which is where you need to catch people early. Those in the containment zones probably already have a clue on what to do and if you don't tests them till 5 days later, nothing will happen. Just tell them what to do, and move on to tracing more people elsewhere. There is a fine balance to be struck between things, and Mumbai has struggled right from the start on these things. It is not rocket science though. Every other state knows how to do it. Or pick up the phone and talk to somebody in other states. When the people in your city are about to die, somebody needs to care enough. This is all just unacceptable bungling, for way too long.
Is there any site which gives testing numbers for Mumbai seprately to confirm that there were only around 2400 or tests daily in Mumbai ( if we take 800+ positives and 33 % rate).
No, I haven't seen it. That number of 2400 is just something I guessed, seeing 9.5K tests in MAH yesterday. We do know that they went up to 12 and 13K and then it went down. There is no reason for other places like Pune, Nagpur, Solepur, Satara etc to suddenly change their tracing and testing schemes and go down in numbers, so they must be doing the same number of tests or more there. The only place where there was serious organizational change was Mumbai. So I was already wondering if they had gone down from 5 or 6K and 7-8% positivity to 3 or 4K and 15-20% positivity. Then I saw the 33% number, and the numbers fell right in place as 2.5K in Mumbai and 7K for the rest of the state.

But no independent confirmation. The state is just not reporting anything properly on testing. Usually it is an indication that the leaders and top officials are probably still unaware of the extreme significance of testing numbers, and none of them are asking. Check how Rajasthan, TN, etc clearly give testing numbers in their daily releases. MP, UP, etc, all do it. See how WB got up to speed once Mamata changed her mind, and properly started doing testing and giving numbers. If asked to do their job, our officials would spend mental energy to figure out these things. I think they are being allowed to goof off by political leaders. Too early to say if the new BMC commissioner understands things, but early results after 5-6 days is negative on him. Too much of talk on hospital beds and all that, which is not at all the issue in Mumbai. The first thing is to reduce the spread and growth rate. Not a medical issue, really. Those issues can be handled 10 days later once you have the testing/tracing going right. All these 8 IAS people handling everything else and just 1 in charge of the most important matter right now, tells you something. Like I said, a lot depends on that one lady now. If she is good, you may be saved. If not, God save Mumbai.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Just saw on ANI's twitter - "Indian Railways cancels all tickets booked to travel on or before June 30th, 2020. Refunds given to all tickets booked till 30th June 2020. All special trains and Shramik Special train to however ply as usual."

What?? They decided not to run railways for a month more, except for workers (and a few rich people who can afford Rajdhani AC fares)? Maybe not a bad idea, now that I think about it... Just cut down discretionary travel by Indians for a month. Only travel for "productivity reasons" will be allowed, maybe?
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

This is another site where you will find numbers and articles at same place.

COVID-19 Tracker - Mumbai
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Thanks, Jaydeep. But, still it does not seem to be fully updated. Cases in Mumbai have now crossed 15,000.

This is another article on testing in Mumbai -

BMC's new rules: Those with symptoms, elderly, to-be-moms to be tested
depleter

Post by depleter »

depleter wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 5:15 am May be I am being pessimistic here but as of now I don't see anything that says Maharashtra and Gujarat are out of trouble.
For example let's take Gujarat after the central team went there.
No of tests conducted before they went there - 5.4K.
After they went there the tests daily - 4.8K, 3.6K, 3.7K and yesterday it was a pitiful 2.9K. Yesterday we were celebrating how Gujarat posted lower numbers but that's simply because they decreased the testing. The positivity rate is still a mammoth 12%.
May be the same thing happening in Mumbai is happening in Gujarat too. Their daily tests count after 2.9K - 3.0K and 2.7K. Like it's still decreasing. :oof: :oof: :oof: :oof: :damn:
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

sameerph wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 6:57 am Thanks, Jaydeep. But, still it does not seem to be fully updated. Cases in Mumbai have now crossed 15,000.
Yes, here is another site, where they are showing district-wise and as expected, Maharashtra's 3 districts are in the top-5. :-(

Districtwise Corona Tracker - India
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Omkara

Post by Omkara »

Last two days of stimulus details highlight why this government has lost it. It's on a different trajectory. Matt lord help us.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

sameerph wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 10:04 amAnother news about Mumbai- Almost All 3,500 COVID Beds In Mumbai Taken. Hospitals Make Big Change
I think this news article is bullcrap. Just writing unsupported numbers. No, 5000 Covid patients are NOT in hospitals in Mumbai. Impossible. There are only 12K active cases in Mumbai. Not even 1500 or 2000 are in hospitals. Please avoid reading articles like this, especially by TV media sites. Full of clueless reporters.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Only +447 in TN today. So it is good news there, that the Koyambedu numbers are indeed coming down.
But +472 in Delhi, which is at least a 100 more than I wanted to see. Another place where testing numbers are not great.
+90 is RAJ's 2nd update. Udaipur beginning to get under control with a +25. They test very well, so no worries on RAJ.
+73 in Odisha. 42 are from migrants in quarantine in the Ganjam district. Not worried yet of ODI.
+68 in AP is okay, though there is a very minor up-trend in the last few days (migrant and Koyambedu numbers)
+28 in KAR is good. They were showing a slight up-trend in the last few days. Back down again.
+11 in PUN again. Great work by that government.

+1,264 ... 78,057 to 79,321 so far today.
suresh

Post by suresh »

TN reports +447 with +363 from Chennai. India at +1264 for the day with Maharashtra and Gujarat yet to come.
suresh

Post by suresh »

Odisha is doing good. One of my Odiya friends told me that some migrants just ran away (to escape quarantine) once they reached Odisha by train. Looks like almost all the migrants who have tested positive came from Surat and hopefully folks from Surat didn't escape.