This is a place where you can enter any non-sports general topics
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Coronavirus SARS-Cov2 (COVID-19)

Post by jayakris »

sameerph wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:21 pm Just as I typed that saw on a news channel that people who wanted to prey at a masjid attacked police who were preventing them from doing so. These are the kind of stories which are coming out all the time.
People just don't know. It is so difficult for people who want to pray, having lived all their lives considering it as the most correct and pious thing to do, that just cannot be wrong, to be told not to do it. I understand the Muslims' feelings. They are not like Hindus or Christians who can look at church or temple praying as somewhat discretionary in a crunch. Not Muslims. It is their ultimate duty to do it, and perhaps to do it together too (I don't know the scriptural prescriptions). They will try to beat up people trying to stop them, as it is THAT important for them.

The Muslim leaders and scriptural experts need to get going, and immediately tell people, issuing Fatwahs and doing whatever they can, that they need to stop. That, to save themselves from disease is also their own duty. That certain kinds of worship activities and community activities can be very harmful to them.

But, as we always see, religious leaders are the worst, and they never listen to scientific or logical reasoning. But something needs to come from within the Islamic community. 2892 cases in India, and probably 2400 (easily) are Muslims. while they are only 15 percent of the population. Come on. This is so sad.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

My heart skips a beat when I see news like this -- "6 CRPF personnel in Mumbai positive", and "A BEST employee tests positive" (and office employee and the office has been closes/sanitized), "Mumbai Zonal Deputy Commissioner of Police (DCP) positive" [EDIT: The DCP actually tested negative today; so it was only a suspicion earlier]. There is clearly community spread in Mumbai. Yikes.

By the way, what is this lighting-the-lamp business from Modiji? I didn't watch today's 9 am address by him, but it seems there was nothing new?

Once again - Do we know where Sin Hombre is? (His last post was on the 25th when he said he expected to be fine by the last weekend)
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

+75 from Telengana (all the "unknown district" category, so Delhi-returnees). Our total is about to hit 3000. We are at 2972 with +427 today. I think a high fraction of the Nizamuddin cases are in. About 1200 or so, is my guess. Maharashtra still to come.

Not sure of the Karnataka number. Maybe some more are there, but it seems the state is pretty much quiet, except for any Nizamuddin cases (so far 3 in Belagavi dist are reported). Just like Kerala. See the IE report that other cases are noticeably few, or none. I saw that the Dakshina Kannada district (where my wife is from), bordering Kasarkot has had two days now with no reported cases. This is all great new. If only the Delhi event had not happened!
suresh
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by suresh »

100/102 cases in TN today are from the guys who went to Delhi. 300 of them tested negative as well. So hopefully by Monday, we should no longer have primary cases from the Delhi visit. Around 10-14 April is when we should expect the second wave.

Telengana numbers will get updated to district wise ones later today. The big and possibly the most important one that is yet to come is Maharashtra.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

I don't know if there will be a clear second wave to the Delhi arrivals. After the initial chunk gets in the list within 2 days or so, it should be a trickle of 200 a day for a few days. maybe a minor rise in 4 days time, if at all. At least I hope/pray so.

We will just have to wait for the trickle to end, and the new numbers being mainly fires in known specific clusters of 10 and 20 being, getting doused in various parts of the country. This Delhi function has created such an unbelievable headache but it is controllable, because a whole lot of potential clusters are all under observation.

The rest of the vast areas of the country seem to be already all clean, thanks to the lockdown. But what happens after the lockdown, I don't know. Kerala seems to have pretty much finished the Korea-style operation and the CM even hinted it today. Probably the most successful operation in any area of 35+ million population in the world. Better than Korea's operation, actually. Too early to brag, but I cannot believe that Kerala still has only 2 deaths after about 300 cases over such a long period since Jan 31st, and then a second wave which also started in Kerala on Mar 8th.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Seems to be a +67 in Maharashtra (for now under "unknown district")
rajitghosh

Post by rajitghosh »

Don't know if the numbers of West Bengal are correct. Seem quite low compared to other similarly populated states.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

rajitghosh wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:43 pm Don't know if the numbers of West Bengal are correct. Seem quite low compared to other similarly populated states.
It is all correct. That is all there is in West Bengal. We have been waiting for like a couple of weeks to see if something is happening in Kolkata. Nothing, except foreign arrivals and their contacts that happened a while ago. Same in Bangaldesh too. Heat, humidity, and malaria resistance, most probably.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Final numbers for the day: 3108 cases with a +563. The death count is at 86. I am expecting a drop in additional cases tomorrow. Hopefully.

Maharashtra update: Of the 67 new cases in Maharashtra, 43 cases were registered in Mumbai, for a Mumbai total of 278; nine in Pune, eight in Navi Mumbai, three in Ahmednagar and one each in Palghar, Kalyan, Ratnagiri and Washim. About 13K samples have been tested from Maharashtra alone so far, for 490 positives. Update on Delhi-returnees in Maharashtra: 7 new ones – 2 each in Pune, Pimpri-Chinchwad and Ahmednagar and one in Hingoli district tested positive. The state has contacted 1033 people of the 1,225 Taqlibi returnees, and has put 738 in government quarantine facilities. (as per HT)
depleter

Post by depleter »

ICMR update at 9PM was 10,034 samples tested today.
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

Appreciate the concern guys.

I have been feeling better the last couple of days (still have occasional very mild fever and headache but feeling fine most of the day). Hopefully this continues to be the case.

Glad to see that India has ramped up testing to 10k/day. This will lead to increase in number of positive results but good in the long term if we can find and isolate all hotspots.
suresh

Post by suresh »

depleter wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:47 pm ICMR update at 9PM was 10,034 samples tested today.
Of these, 575 or 5.7% tested positive. Total tested so far = 69245 with 2653 or 3.8% testing positive.
suresh

Post by suresh »

Sin Hombre wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:37 pm I have been feeling better the last couple of days (still have occasional very mild fever and headache but feeling fine most of the day). Hopefully this continues to be the case.
Take care.
Varma

Post by Varma »

Sin Hombre wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:37 pm Appreciate the concern guys.

I have been feeling better the last couple of days (still have occasional very mild fever and headache but feeling fine most of the day). Hopefully this continues to be the case.

Glad to see that India has ramped up testing to 10k/day. This will lead to increase in number of positive results but good in the long term if we can find and isolate all hotspots.
Phew...that's a big relief! :D

Take care!

- Varma
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

BCG is a vaccination mostly given to babies in countries where tuberculosis is common.

Some recent studies have suggested that countries where BCG is administered reported fewer deaths related to Covid-19.

Hopefully there is something to this Jay.