This is a place where you can enter any non-sports general topics
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Coronavirus SARS-Cov2 (COVID-19)

Post by jayakris »

sameerph wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:25 pmFor instance in Kanpur there is only 1 case and none of his relatives/ close contacts etc have got affected ? With the kind of spread which is happening elsewhere how is it possible ?
Apparently they have been testing people at the Bus terminal and found him two days ago!! Whoa.

Some 4238 people came to the Jhakarkati interstate bus terminal on Monday from around the state. They screened and tested people and found 1 guy to be positive. https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/cit ... 900582.cms

I don't know if this is good news or bad news!

We keep hearing of a lot of such things going on India. A lot of people running around trying to trace people. If this was done on the basis of some intel that some Nizamuddin folks might be coming to Kanpur, maybe this is good news. If there are 1 in 4200 infected in Uttar Pradesh, we are in a huge mess with 57K infections among 240M people in the state (of course not!). If only 1 in 4200 of the intercity travelers are infected, and nobody but intercity travelers are infected, then that is not too bad, as the intercity travelers in the state is probably around a million trips in a day and only 250 people are infected. Of course, 1 data point says nothing in statitsics, as well.... So we know nothing :) .... We will just wait and see.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Oh, The Hindu reports that the 56 year old from Dharavi is a garment shop owner from Baliga Nagar which seems to be at one end of the Dharavi slum, so it may not have gone into the slum itself... But more interestingly, he has another house in the same area and apparently a few Tabliqui Jamaat people were staying there! Some other members of the group were also staying in a local mosque and BMC is "verifying that". Some cross-connection between Dharavi and a Worli hot spot, etc are all in this article - https://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/mu ... epage=true (may need subscription)

Can we do a Korea, like they did on the cult Church there, on these Tabliqui members and somehow contain the spread among them? I hope so. I saw a joker commenting at the MalayalaManorma reader comments that the name itself sounds like "Tub Leaking". We need to stop the leak. Right-away. It appears the Maulana is in hiding now, as there are cases against him. They just need to be coaxed into cooperating. It is in their interest. It is not a terrorist group or anything, and Ajit Doval himself said today that they are not. They are just a very conservative Muslim sect. Hope they all realize the gravity of the situation within their own group.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

The VRRY final update of the night: Final number from Thursday: 2545 (+486 for the day).

And we left Pakistan in the dust today, at 2421, as we rose to the 32nd spot in the world. The world is rejoicing, thinking 1.35 billion is joining them for the ride. I don't think their mirth will last for long. I hope so. I pray so.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

The numbers are like 9000 people, for that Tabligi Jamaat congregation. It keeps going up. I was just reading that Assam had 503 people there; they have checked with 488 and taken 361 samples. The group that came out of the Mar 13-15 gathering is pretty much 50-60 percent infected. Not sure of the others in the 9000. It is even possible that there are some 5000 people and maybe 5000 others (secondary infections by them within the period they were in other mosques and houses). The worst case is some 10K cases from just that Nizamuddin disaster in the next 10 days. But my guess is that it is not that bad. Aa good number of the 9000 were probably not in Delhi or in the prayer area during the period when infections were maximum. More probably 1 or 2 K people more to come as positive cases. Or somewhere in between 2K and 10K :) ... But we will we ever find the people who don't want to be found, who may start fires all over that we just cannot predict or douse especially when they start beating up doctors?

The larger question remains. Do we have some magical Indian immunity, or has this thing spread badly already?

There is already clear evidence that there is no such magical immunity among Indian Muslims who congregate, for whatever reason. Prayer style, air-conditioned prayer spaces, sharing foods, hugs, or whatever it is that is spreading it.

And curiously at the same time, there is almost NO evidence that there is any spread outside of households, long car rides, and hospitals in the rest of the populations - Hindus, Christians, Sikhs. None whatsoever, anywhere!

It is quite possible that India's Muslim population may have already started an unimaginable spread going in their own communities. The scope of that disaster is mind-numbing. It will be impossible for us to handle, unless the mosques and religious leaders cooperate IMMEDIATELY and help identify what it is that is making the disease spread so easily in the community. In other Mulsim countries (Saudi Arabia, Malaysia, Indonesia, Pakistan etc), they listen to the Government. In India, the Muslims just don't trust the Government or listen to advice/instructions from the Govt. That is recipe for disaster. Something needs to give.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Islamic cleric issues 'fatwa' asking Muslims to get tested for coronavirus
Thank you! Now, there is a fatwa that we can all applaud. Need more of it.
Several leading clerics have asked people to avoid congregation in mosques and offer prayers, including the weekly Friday prayers, at home in the present situation to avoid spread of the disease.
Thank you, thank you, thank yooooo....
prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by prasen9 »

TMI for my small brain. I have given up.
Varma

Post by Varma »

I don't watch much of Indian news channels, but a lot of FB posts and WhatsApp messages are spewing venom on Islam because of the spread happened from the congregation. This is quite disturbing. I hope the PM and state CMs are spreading message to the public not to do so. A busy day in Tirupati would have had decent number of NRIs who could have had this.

- Varma
depleter

Post by depleter »

Total no of tests is 66000 now

jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

8,000 tests each the last two days. That is not bad. It is probably at about 50% capacity now. I think we can do 15 to 18K a day if needed. I beleueve some 5000 at least must be the Nizamuddin-related cases.
Varma wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:52 amI don't watch much of Indian news channels, but a lot of FB posts and WhatsApp messages are spewing venom on Islam because of the spread happened from the congregation. This is quite disturbing. I hope the PM and state CMs are spreading message to the public not to do so. A busy day in Tirupati would have had decent number of NRIs who could have had this.
Very much the case. The anti-Muslim feeling is out of control right now. It needs to be stopped, but I don't think the leaders saying anything will help much. I wish we had a personality like Abdul Kalam from the Muslim community itself, whom everybody would listen to. But we don't have anybody like that. It is a sad situation. Hopefully, once the Delhi mosque cases are all in the list, it will get better.
suresh

Post by suresh »

TN numbers out -- 102 for the day. Maharashtra and Telengana numbers are not out as yet. So far we are at +313 for the day.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Thomas (93) and Mariamma (88), the parents/in-laws of the couple and their son who came from Italy as the first cases (at Pathanamthitta) of the second wave in Kerala on Mar 8th, got cured and left the hospital today. The oldest people to survive in India. The nurse, Reshma Mohandas, who got the virus while attending to them, also left the hospital. Kudos to the doctors at the Kottayam medical college. The Kerala death count remains at 2 after 286 cases.

The Kerala numbers are in. Only 9 cases today. 3 are folks who attended the Tabliqi Jamaat meeting.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

A very interesting article tpo read - Scrap dealers, zealots, arts students; Assam's hunt for Tablighi Jamaat participants spares few
The writer is truly amazed at the scope of the work the state officials have done, to have tracked and talked to all the 400+ people that needed to be traced from the Delhi event, because he himself called some 30 people.

What is curious is that many state Governments have been extremely lax withe phone numbers and addresses of people. I saw a whole list (home address, ph.number, everything) from Punjab floating around, like in Assam. A whole lot of lawsuits could come in later. But I do like it for the time being. It is just not the time to worry about privacy laws and all that. Peoples' lives depend on this. As long as nothing urns violent, we just need everybody's help is tracking and quarantining as many people as possible.

On the other hand, the Kerala CM yesterday was very critical of one of his own MLAs who managed to get his hands on the district list and called a lot of people in observation and quarantine, for endearment reasons. The press was all over this, asking how the MLA got the list, and the dist collector was on the hook. No names have been coming out at all, in Kerala.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Waiting for the Maharashtra update. Hope nothing is getting bad.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Varma wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:52 am I don't watch much of Indian news channels, but a lot of FB posts and WhatsApp messages are spewing venom on Islam because of the spread happened from the congregation. This is quite disturbing. I hope the PM and state CMs are spreading message to the public not to do so. A busy day in Tirupati would have had decent number of NRIs who could have had this.

- Varma
I agree. But it is not only because so many cases out of that event. So many videos are coming out of people splitting out to purposely spread the virus, attacking with stones the investigating team in Indore and so on and so forth. That seems to have increased that anger over the community.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Just as I typed that saw on a news channel that people who wanted to prey at a masjid attacked police who were preventing them from doing so. These are the kind of stories which are coming out all the time.