US Open 2019

This is a forum where users can follow various tournaments that have Indian participation or are held in India. GrandSlams and Davis Cup should also be discussed here.

Moderator: Moderators

knarayen

Re: US Open 2019

Post by knarayen »

Wow great milestone to celebrate - two Indians in uso main draw! :D

So Sumit draws Federer - well what the heck. If he is able to take him to a tie-breaker in one set, or even win one set, it will be a great confidence booster. Let us stay optimistic.

Prof
Prashant
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by Prashant »

For once in my life I can ardently root against Federer...
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

jayakris wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:47 pm Go suneet, Go suneet, Go suneet!!! Yeah, 2 guys in the main draw. How great. Who woulda thunk? One of the youngest Indians to ever make the USO main draw!
Ok, now you’re just yanking our chain!
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

Prashant wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:08 am For once in my life I can ardently root against Federer...
I was starting to fall off the Federer bandwagon after umpteen years; now, I’m solidly off it.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Wow, what a sporting day for Indians ... :notworthy:
Sumit won a nervy match against Menezes to qualify for the US Open main-draw and facing Federer in the first round, unbelievable :clap:
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by sameerph »

I went to sleep after Sumit won the second set. What a wonderful news to wake up to.

Sumit. :clap: :clap: Who would have thought that Sumit who did not play any tournaments on hard courts for months would come to US open and qualify thru to the main draw.

The last time we had 2 Indians in the singles main draw of a grand slam - 1998 Wimbledon when Leander and Mahesh were there.

Great day for Indian tennis.
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

Federer will get a minor heart attack when he checks the draw and misreads Nagal as Nadal :p
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

This is what I wrote in July 2014 in response to Varma’s post speculating about India’s tennis future stars.
Varma, RamK and Sumit -- there is a chance. The doubles brigade -- not a chance.
This was the thread:

viewtopic.php?t=215374&start=1110
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

Rare to see two Indian names get top billing on a tennis page. But, it has happened:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/serena-sha ... --ten.html
RohitG

Post by RohitG »

Next to impossible draws for both but if they put on a good show, it will make them more popular and can pay them more dividends back home. More popularity on social media equals more potential in terms of influence, i.e. a good case for getting new sponsor deals. Sumit has given us something to cheer about after Yuki's sabbatical and RamK's lack of form.. Praj too wasn't hitting his stride until recently. I went to sleep after I read the scoreline halfway through the match but he has displayed rock solid mental fortitude to come back and seal the deal. He has pocketed 35 valuable points and his biggest paycheck. This should give him maximum confidence. Also now awaiting the foreign memes on how Fed has to face Nagal before Rafael. Best part is I can get to watch the whole thing on Indian TV
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

I'm really bummed out by the tough draws.

But from another perspective, every tennis pro dreams of playing the world's greatest players on tennis's grandest stages. And Prajnesh and Sumit are guaranteed an experience that they wouldn't get if they had faced unseeded players on court 11.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Hey, I have seen in person a 5 ft 10 Indian guy beating Federer. Why not Sumit?
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Wouldn’t that be great? Federer’s career book-ended with a loss to Leander near its start and then to Sumit near its end!!

Federer lost in the first round last year, and he does struggle against players he knows nothing about. Remember how Lloyd Harris took a set off Federer on the Centre Court at Wimbledon this year? So I think Sumit Nagal will be a name to reckon with in the world of tennis after Monday night!
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Daniel wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:14 am But from another perspective, every tennis pro dreams of playing the world's greatest players on tennis's grandest stages.
Yes, Sumit has same thoughts ... :)

Dream to play the 'God' at Arthur Ashe arena: Nagal on playing Federer at US Open
vparam

Post by vparam »

Federer lost in the 4th round last year, not the 1st round.