India in West Indies 2019

As the other sports forums seem to have taken old to some respect, well here is a cricket forum. NOTE: This forum will be heavily moderated and can be revoked at any time is discussions go out of hand.

Moderator: Moderators

jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators
Please enter the middle number: 1

India in West Indies 2019

Post by jaydeep »

prasen9 wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:57 pm I would like to take Iyer, Gill, Pant, and Pandey to the West Indies ODI series. Drop Dhoni. Rahul deserves more chances as an opener too.
Prasenjit, your wishes are granted, though Gill is not included.

India’s squad for 3 T20Is: Virat Kohli (Captain), Rohit Sharma (VC), Shikhar Dhawan, KL Rahul, Shreyas Iyer, Manish Pandey, Rishabh Pant (WK), Krunal Pandya, Ravindra Jadeja, Washington Sundar, Rahul Chahar, Bhuvneshwar Kumar, Khaleel Ahmed, Deepak Chahar, Navdeep Saini

India’s squad for 3 ODIs: Virat Kohli (Captain), Rohit Sharma (VC), Shikhar Dhawan, KL Rahul, Shreyas Iyer, Manish Pandey, Rishabh Pant (wk), Ravindra Jadeja, Kuldeep Yadav, Yuzvendra Chahal, Kedar Jadhav, Mohammed Shami, Bhuvneshwar Kumar, Khaleel Ahmed, Navdeep Saini

India’s squad for 2 Tests: Virat Kohli (Captain), Ajinkya Rahane (VC), Mayank Agarwal, KL Rahul, C Pujara, Hanuma Vihari, Rohit Sharma, Rishabh Pant (WK) Wriddhiman Saha (WK), R Ashwin, Ravindra Jadeja, Kuldeep Yadav, Ishant Sharma, Mohammed Shami, Jasprit Bumrah, Umesh Yadav
prasen9

Re: India in West Indies 2019

Post by prasen9 »

I do not like the selection of Rahul as an opener in tests. If Prithvi is injured, get the next in line. Panchal or Eswaran. Umesh over Bhuvi in tests is because of WI pitches, I presume. But, it makes the tail terrible.

My test team would be: Rahul, Mayank, Pujara, Kohli, Vihari, Pant, Ashwin, Jadeja, Kuldeep/Umesh, Shami, Ishant.
Sin Hombre
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by Sin Hombre »

Want to see Saini get some chances.

i haven't followed Indian media reaction but have been told that there was no reaction at all after the limp WC exit.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

I would like to see the following ODI team:

Rahul, Dhawan(c), Iyer, Pandey, Kedar, Pant, Jadeja, Kuldeep, Chahal, Khaleel, Saini.
Or Jadeja captains. No chance of this team playing as is though.

And the following T20I team:

Rahul, Dhawan, Iyer, Pandey, Pant, Krunal, Jadeja, Chahar(s), Khaleel, Saini. Alternatively, replace Jadeja with Kohli.

Again, no chance this team will play.

We need to experiment and give the youngsters a chance before the T20I World Cup. No point playing Rohit. We know what he can do. He can come back later.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Rahane has been an abject failure for Hampshire -- after making a century in his second innings for them. In 6 subsequent matches, he has made just one half-century and managed to even bag a pair. His scores: 10 & 119; 31 & 0; 34; 0 & 0; 55 & 8; 4 & 3; 1 & 42. He is averaging an embarrassing 23.62 after 7 matches, and should normally have been dropped from the county side by now. Making him vice captain of the test side is ludicrous!
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Which is why I would like to give more chances to Vihari. In the middle order. Not going to happen :-(
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Here is a look at the Indian teams by age. It looks like it is a very middle-aged team. Not too many very youngs and not too many very olds.

Test (oldest); Wriddhi (34), Ashwin, Rohit (32), Umesh, Rahane (31)
Test (youngest): Pant (21), Kuldeep (24), Bumrah, Vihari (25), KLR (27)

If we are talking about a backup opener, first should come Prithvi. After that, I would rather try Easwaran who is 23 than Priyank who is 29. At this point, we should be able to defeat WI with any team we take. So, we should invest in the young.
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

Kohli/Dhoni era is all about mediocrity and "seniority".

We have learned no lessons from 5 tournaments of knockout failures.
Tolamu

Post by Tolamu »

T20 Ep-1, Navdeep Saini is a revelation. In his last over & also the inning's last, he bowled a maiden with highest scorer, Keiron Pollard's wicket restricting WI to 95/9. :dance:
His bowling figure : 4-1-17-3
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Saini came down to earth in his second match... :-) But there is no doubt about the fact that he is an exciting talent, with the ability to generate real pace and bounce.

Krunal Pandya turned out to be the hero yesterday. I'm surprised Jadeja is still batting so low down in the order despite his WC semifinal heroics.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Astonishing figures from Deepak Chahar 3-1-4-3. Is he as good as Bhuvi?
Great to see Kohli finally regaining some form, and Pant getting a fifty in a LOI at last!
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

In T20Is, our most promising debutants have been D. Chahar, Saini, Sundar, and Kuldeep. We should play all four for a while to give them match experience before the T20I World Cup.
indiansportsfan

Post by indiansportsfan »

I think they got the team selection exactly right for this match. Finally a sign of recognition after the world cup debacle that we need a solid middle order bat, and Iyer seems to be a good fit for that role. Also good to see that Kohli realizes that Rahul is not exactly first XI material. Also that Pandey is a better fit for T20s. And Jadhav is a better fit for ODIs than Krunal, who seems more well suited for T20s. So good selection all around. The only thing I would add is that Jadhav makes sense only if he can bowl some overs, otherwise I would rather look for someone who could.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

I really don't understand the obsession with Jadhav. He is a reasonable bowler in Indian conditions, but his batting has been a failure in recent times -- so he shouldn't be in the side unless he bowls a minimum of 5 overs per match.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Going by the numbers, his batting has not been a failure. This year Kedar has averaged 46 at a SR of 87. Wondering what the yardstick is for being in the Indian team.