World Cup 2019

As the other sports forums seem to have taken old to some respect, well here is a cricket forum. NOTE: This forum will be heavily moderated and can be revoked at any time is discussions go out of hand.

Moderator: Moderators

Tolamu
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: World Cup 2019

Post by Tolamu »

Just for the information, India will don orange jerseys for the England match on 30th June. ;) For the color-blinds, it may look like saffron. Just kidding.
srini

Post by srini »

Tolamu wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:50 am Just for the information, India will don orange jerseys for the England match on 30th June. ;) For the color-blinds, it may look like saffron. Just kidding.
Today India to wear Orange for Afghan match also , according to some reports.
SaniaFan

Post by SaniaFan »

Sin Hombre wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:21 am Many is a stretch, see below. Agree that he needs a starring performance at a WC to match Viv.
In a sport played regularly by only 8 countries, 5 people ahead of you is ''many" when you are talking about the greatest. I would like to see how many were ahead of Viv and also what was the difference between Viv's and other's numbers. On a side note, I did not know that ABD was ahead of Virat in both average and strike rate.
prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by prasen9 »

I understand that this is the World Cup and I understand that any country can beat any other on any day. However, the objective is to take calculated risks to maximize long term returns. The risk of driving Bumrah to the ground is real. After the grueling IPL and given that our players are less fit than others. Bumrah has also looked a bit jaded in some of the matches and not as sharp (to me). Afghanistan is *the* weakest team. If India goes with two other pace bowlers and Bumrah pulls a hamstring, Pandya would have to bowl in the death overs. I would rather try to give him some experience now than having him going in to do that for the first time in the World Cup final in the 50th over.

Similarly, it is to give Jadeja some batting and real match practice. Giving Pant and Karthik some match practice. If we need them in a meaningful match, then they will be sharper in the future than if we do not give them a chance here.

What is the probability that our first 11 will be fully fit after having played the long IPL and 9 matches in a long tour? I would rather not risk that. Life is about risk-reward and taking calculated risks. In the very unlikely case, we will be upset by the Kabuliwalas but the probability of that is quite low. You take the low risks and try to reap the higher rewards later on. Or have some insurance in case some of your leading bowlers pick up an injury.

Kohli has a bad back and Bumrah has been a workhorse for long. They need a break. I would rather give it against Afghanistan. This is not my grandfather's time when they had a rest day in tests and months between series. This set of Indian players needs proper rest and recuperation. It is an actuarial science. The greedy method is not always optimal.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

SaniaFan wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:36 am In a sport played regularly by only 8 countries, 5 people ahead of you is ''many" when you are talking about the greatest. I would like to see how many were ahead of Viv and also what was the difference between Viv's and other's numbers. On a side note, I did not know that ABD was ahead of Virat in both average and strike rate.
The sheer number of matches Kohli has played is what puts his achievement (average and SR combo) ahead of his contemporaries. The fear Viv struck among the bowlers is unsurpassed.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

SaniaFan wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:36 am
Sin Hombre wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:21 am Many is a stretch, see below. Agree that he needs a starring performance at a WC to match Viv.
In a sport played regularly by only 8 countries, 5 people ahead of you is ''many" when you are talking about the greatest. I would like to see how many were ahead of Viv and also what was the difference between Viv's and other's numbers. On a side note, I did not know that ABD was ahead of Virat in both average and strike rate.
Nobody who has played more than 100 ODIs is ahead of Kohli's ODI average. The figures for AB DeVilliers are not for his entire career, but just a part thereof. Quite ridiculous to do that!

AB DeVilliers' career batting average is 53.5 from 218 inningss. Kohli averages 59.58 from 223 innings. The only one ahead of Kohli in the history of ODIs is Ryan ten Doeschate of the Netherlands, who averaged 67 in his 33 matches.
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

SaniaFan wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:36 am
AB would have been a shoe-in for GOAT if he didn't spend as much time "hiding" lower down the order (easier to have a higher average with not outs) and would have won SA a major competition.

That said, AB is still easily amongst the top 5 of all time imo.
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

Everyone outside of Kohli has played terribly today and we will have a sub-par score batting first against the Afghans. Bowlers will have to do very well to avoid a major upset.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

We seem to be playing the inaugural test match with the Afghanistan team.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Dhoni was a batting disaster today. Don’t know why he went in at 5 when an acceleration was required. This looks like a defeat unless our bowlers can do some magic.

That Rohit is a poor player of spin, particularly unorthodox spin, was made clear by the pathetic way he got bowled. But the rest of the Indian batting, apart from skipper Kohli, was shockingly bad.
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

If Indian team management had any balls, they would drop Dhoni for Pant or even DK now.

One odd innings in 20 is all he has been capable for the last 3 years. Wastes balls, can't rotate strike. and puts pressure on Kohli or whoever is on the other end.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Rahul, Rohit, and Dhoni failed completely.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Shami and Bumrah have been removed too soon. Need to Attack relentlessly with the ball today.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

India batted today like they did against Bangladesh in 2007, constantly fearful of losing and hence playing over-cautiously. Still heading to defeat unless someone can pick up 3 wickets before another 35 runs are added.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

And Bumrah delivers 2 in one over! Should’ve had 3, because the first ball was LBW but Aleem Dar didn’t give it. India has no reviews left.